to paint or not to paint, engine compartment on SJ

cycojon

addicted to my superjet
i am in the process of defoaming, re-enforcing, etc etc...

i am in debate of painting the eng compartment or just leaving it after glassing...

those of you who have painted it, what paint did you use? rattle can? i think my biggest worrie is will it start to peel from a bit of water sitting on it over time,

Frosty

New York Crew
mine was in pretty scrubby shape, and was already reinforced... so i decided to paint.

I cleaned the entire engine bay with an Ammonia/water solution and let dry.

I used Rust-o-leum marine coatings topside paint

http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=4

here's a before and a few after shots... that was with one thin coat. i applied a second thin coat since then and it came out really nice.

do not lay on thick...

I've dropped tools and stuff on it and it has not chipped or anything.

Attachments

• rn0004.jpg
    rn0004.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 43
  • rn0105.jpg
    rn0105.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 37
  • rn0106.jpg
    rn0106.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 38
  • rn0107.jpg
    rn0107.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 48

surfjetlouie

R.I.P. 11/27/2008
one of my customer painted the inside of is couch, using the epoxy paint sold at home depot for garage floor. light gray color and looked good.
I do not know if this stuff will last.

DCRocks

Wavejunkies
I recently reinforced the inside of my blaster, and used a rattle can to paint it.

I used a primer/paint combo, and it turned out great!

Attachments

• normal_wb1-build_60.jpg
    normal_wb1-build_60.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 54
  • normal_wb1-build_61.jpg
    normal_wb1-build_61.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:

thegoldenboy

RN Surgery... soon
Dye the resin. Will not fade unless exposed to sun constantly, and will not chip or flake due to the flexion of the hull.

OR you can use texaluim and resin (no dye). Apply a bit more resin than necessary so you can lightly sand it. Spray candy or translucent auto paint, than shoot it with multiple layers of durable clear. May still chip, won't resist fuel, but the results are good looking.

Never done it on a ski, but I've seen motocycle parts come out like this and they are beauty.

Basically give you the look of any color carbon, for less than buying carbon. Won't be much heavier either.

if you use dye in your resin do not leave marker lines on your glass (like around mount areas, ect) befor covering .(as i used white dye it looks awsome) the resin will not cover the marker lines. other than that dye is the way to go.

ps.. when ski was all put together you could not see marker lines anyway..

I used black dye and left my marker lines. ALL PRE PLANNED (KEY WORDS)
White dye would look really good too, until it gets dirty.

Any dirt just wipes off.. my only other thought would be any chemicals could turn it yellowish.. thow so far none have..:bad:

my past job i did black too thought white would just look cleaner this time... its all good:burnout:

yamanube

This Is The Way
Staff member
I have heard that the white dye can still blush and turn pinkish or yellow. That said, I did mine in white because I didnt want a super dark engine bay to work in, Im pretty happy with the way it turned out.

Attachments

• CIMG2601.JPG
    CIMG2601.JPG
    230.3 KB · Views: 46
  • CIMG2602.JPG
    CIMG2602.JPG
    224.4 KB · Views: 48
  • CIMG2640.JPG
    CIMG2640.JPG
    232.2 KB · Views: 49
I'm about to lay down a thin layer of black fiberglass (fiberglassSite.com) on the bottom. Sides are already black with carbon reinforcement so it should look nice.

Top Bottom