Towing with a Scion xB

ski_crazy

ISJWTA member #5
We love our Element too. Its the EX AWD also but with the manual trans. It runs about 3800 rpms at 80 miles an hour on the highway. If I drive it gets 24 mpg if the wife drives its around 26 mpg. I tend to rev it a little higher then she prefers.

ski_crazy

ISJWTA member #5
I've never heard about it. Doesn't matter what I own they all get a crack in the windshield.

Mouth you got kids look into the Honda Elements. They have more seating space then your 4runner but not as much storage but your wife can handle that for you.

Mouthfulloflake

ISJWTA member #2
Ive been pushing her towards a mini-van or something MORE effencient for years, she hates it, she wants a SUV or she feels less.... womanly?

im just trying to find ways to buy less fuel for things that arent that fun to ride.

ski_crazy

ISJWTA member #5
What ever you do DO NOT tell the wife her Element is a mini van. You might end up in the deep end attached to an anchor. Be warned. You gonna be at Kets' this weekend?

Zerfman34

M.D. in the works...
I dont think that any full size pick up will get any damage from towing 1 or 2 stand ups in 5th gear. But with compact and sub-compact cars nowadays you got to be carefull. What are you towing with?

08 jeep patriot, 2.4 manual with 'tow package' which i think is just an extra oil cooler or something so nothing heavy duty.

Thanks for all the input guys. I'm definitely going to take a closer look at the xB and the Element. I wasn't really that keen on the Element before, but that was just based on an extremely short ride up a road and back. Plus the prices of the used Elements seem to be coming down a little to what seems to be more "acceptable" for me. I just wouldn't know if I'd be bothered to get one with the intermittent All-wheel drive option. Seems a little quirky and something that could just be a maintenance hassle down the road. I definitely like the extra room in the Element and the carpetless floors.

I've never been in a xB, so I guess I should really take one for a test drive to see what it's like.

I just wouldn't know if I'd be bothered to get one with the intermittent All-wheel drive option. Seems a little quirky and something that could just be a maintenance hassle down the road.

Mine has kept me out of trouble on those rainy slick days. Honda makes good stuff, so reliability is not an issue.

SuperJETT

So long and thanks for all the fish
The 'real-time' all wheel drive is bulletproof, they've had it on the CR-V since '97 or whenever that came out. It's basically a clutch that is engaged by pressure from a hydraulic oil pump. One side of the pump is connected to the front wheels, the other side to the rear. When they both turn the same speed, there is no pressure built up, but when the rears aren't going the same speed, it builds pressure to engage the clutch and drive them.

It worked awesome on mine. I was in some deep sand once and it hooked up and went right out, plus had a lot of snow once, over 10" and had no issues even going up hills from a dead stop.

That's good to know about the all wheel drive system for the Element. I didn't know it had been around for so long. I just assumed it was something new for the Elements. "First attempt" technology tends to worry me for vehicles in their first model years, that's why I was hesitant.

What ever you do DO NOT tell the wife her Element is a mini van. You might end up in the deep end attached to an anchor. Be warned. You gonna be at Kets' this weekend?

Good job Ski_Crazy - you learn quick...the Element is an SUV! I refuse to drive a mini-van. I love my Element more than I could imagine! The room in it is incredible, the flooring is fantastic - all you have to do is wipe it down with a wet cloth! The back seats fold up for extra cargo space or will come out completely. The seats are waterproof too! Did you know you can drift these suckers?! There is even an Element Owners Club! Now I love it even more since we found out it's pretty good at towing the ski's.

By the way WetBox your xB rocks and it inspired me! (Thanks buddy!) Hopefully by the next Ozark Invasion I will be rollin' in on custom wheels and blastin' a kick-ass sound system that will make your ears bleed. (Looks like Ski_Crazy has some work to do!). There's some other exterior options I would like to add too like clear marker lights and fog lights.

ketsair

ISJWTA Member #1
Good job Ski_Crazy - you learn quick...the Element is an SUV! I refuse to drive a mini-van. I love my Element more than I could imagine! The room in it is incredible, the flooring is fantastic - all you have to do is wipe it down with a wet cloth! The back seats fold up for extra cargo space or will come out completely. The seats are waterproof too! Did you know you can drift these suckers?! There is even an Element Owners Club! Now I love it even more since we found out it's pretty good at towing the ski's.

By the way WetBox your xB rocks and it inspired me! (Thanks buddy!) Hopefully by the next Ozark Invasion I will be rollin' in on custom wheels and blastin' a kick-ass sound system that will make your ears bleed. (Looks like Ski_Crazy has some work to do!). There's some other exterior options I would like to add too like clear marker lights and fog lights.

i know where a yukon is with some sweet wheels... now just to figure out an adapter to bolt it to the element.....& a lift to fit them suckers...

Mouth...
My wife drives a xb. We bought it new three years ago. Haven't had any problems with the windshield "cracking" under stress. The windshield is big and pretty flat so it catches a lot of rocks and when it gets hit it will chip. If you don't get it fixed ASAP then it will crack. I am about to have to put our third windshield in it because of chips turning into cracks. The best price I have gotten so far for a windshield around here was about $200 installed. Hope that helps a little.

Mouthfulloflake

ISJWTA member #2
ahh ok, I was wondering, I had heard both reasons there for it getting damaged.

thanks for the info!

Mouth...
My wife drives a xb. We bought it new three years ago. Haven't had any problems with the windshield "cracking" under stress. The windshield is big and pretty flat so it catches a lot of rocks and when it gets hit it will chip. If you don't get it fixed ASAP then it will crack. I am about to have to put our third windshield in it because of chips turning into cracks. The best price I have gotten so far for a windshield around here was about $200 installed. Hope that helps a little.

Top Bottom