Trailer carnage...

OCD Solutions

Original, Clean and Dependable Solutions
Left the house for work this morning at 4:30am with the truck and trailer loaded up for the freeride this weekend. I got about 20 miles down the road when I heard a rubber "chirp" and the truck hesitated a bit. I pulled over to find a blown tire and a seized wheel bearing. I always carry a spare bearing but the really crappy thing is, I have been looking everywhere for a spare and hadn't been able to find one and had just ordered one earlier this week that I was to pick up on the way down.

Not about to leave my ski on the side of the road, I moved everything around and got my ski loaded on the truck, chained my trailer to a tree and drove back home. I ended up buying 3 new tires of a different dimension that is more common and headed back to change the bearing out and bring the trailer back home to reload. Turns out the inner bearing was seized onto the shaft so bad I had to flip the trailer upside down and load it in the truck and haul it home to complete the repairs.

All's well that ends well, I got the day off work, it's the wifes half day so we get to spend the afternoon together before I leave for the weekend and I now have new tires and wheel bearings on the trailer ready to rock!! See you at the freeride, we should be there around 11pm tonight!

Attachments

• 100_3479.jpg
    100_3479.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 164
Last edited:
Those ''bearing buddies'' are worth their weight in gold IMO . I have never seen or had a bearing burn up that was over greased . Fwiw I have never been on the side of the road due to bearings and hope i never will . That would ruin a day for sure . check out those BB's

OCD Solutions

BB are a must have but I over estimated their ability to push grease all the way thru to the back bearing. The bearing that failed is the one I replaced when I first setup this trailer 6 months ago. I had lightly greased the rear bearing when I installed it, expecting the BB to push more grease into it. Needless to say I packed the chit out of this bearing on install.

Big Kahuna

Administrator
Those ''bearing buddies'' are worth their weight in gold IMO . I have never seen or had a bearing burn up that was over greased . Fwiw I have never been on the side of the road due to bearings and hope i never will . That would ruin a day for sure . check out those BB's

Had it happened a few years ago. With Bearing Buddies!!!!!!!!!!! Had to go in walmart, buy everything needed and do the repair right there in the parking lot. Not fun.

Boris

The Good Old Days
thats why i carry my trusty friend mr. glock...just in case you are far away in a place of no mans land, always have my buddy in case someone wants trouble! :)

Excuse my ignorance but how is that "Mr Glock" going to help you get back on the road ?
Wouldn't having some tools or spare parts be of more help ??

Yep, watch out for that boogeyman.

of course having tools helps a lot, and having spare parts does wonders..but being prepared in butt freak egypt helps too.. the world isnt a nice place all the time, especially at 3am on the side of the road!

Boris

The Good Old Days
the world isnt a nice place all the time, especially at 3am on the side of the road!

Tell me about it.
All these civilians carrying guns just to make them selves feel tougher when in fact, if push came to shove they would crap their draws. Or blindly shoot into the darkness all the while keeping their Glocks all gangsta like sideways.
:laugh2:

SJBrit

Extraordinary Alien
Had it happened a few years ago. With Bearing Buddies!!!!!!!!!!! Had to go in walmart, buy everything needed and do the repair right there in the parking lot. Not fun.

Same here on the boat trailer! Luckily I was close to Tractor Supply so they had a new hub. The bearing buddy actually went missing somewhere along the road, and that let all the grease spew out. They're good, but you need to keep your eye on them.

Glad to hear it all ended well.

I have had some very close calls in the past couple years.

Got all the way home one day from a 90 mile trip after buying a used ski/trailer setup...while tearing down the ski I happened to kick the wheel and noticed it was wobbly...I jacked up the trailer and the entire hub just slid off...all of the bearings were toast. I have no clue how I made it home doing the 80mph I was doing...

Boris

The Good Old Days
Damn it. I missed the obvious tie in.
Broken down trailers and guns, what was I thinking ?!?

Anyone want to lend me their wife beater shirt ?

:headbang:

well maybe you can get yourself a set of homeboy nightsight like all us homeboys down here in Miami!! :) all kidding aside.. im glad you were able to solve the problem!

Attachments

• glocksideways.jpg
    glocksideways.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 90

snowxr

V watch your daughters V
LMAO, gotta have side mounted sights for chasing homeboys through the hood.

An old friend used to add a zerk to the backside of his trailer hubs, to grease the front and rear bearings. He claimed it worked much better than a bearing buddy.

I dont understand why anyone would have issues with the rear bearing being dry ?? the hub is hollow all the way through and if you squirt grease in one side it comes out the other . The bearing buddy is a spring loaded piston that keeps the hub FULL of grease at all times not allowing water to enter the hub and only allowing grease to leak out through and out the rear lip seal . just look at the ''Buddy'' piston spring and you can tell if there is grease pressure in the hub ,its a nobrainer . If installed properly and the spring kept under pressure with a squirt of lube twice a season then even china bearings will last your lifetime . ...

OCD Solutions

I dont understand why anyone would have issues with the rear bearing being dry ?? the hub is hollow all the way through and if you squirt grease in one side it comes out the other . The bearing buddy is a spring loaded piston that keeps the hub FULL of grease at all times not allowing water to enter the hub and only allowing grease to leak out through and out the rear lip seal . just look at the ''Buddy'' piston spring and you can tell if there is grease pressure in the hub ,its a nobrainer . If installed properly and the spring kept under pressure with a squirt of lube twice a season then even china bearings will last your lifetime . ...

I couldn't agree with you more, but irregardless, the inner bearing was dry, the BB was full of grease and yet here we are. :dunno:

This was the first time I'd ever lost a trailer bearing in over 15 yrs of dragging skis around. My big double trailer was bought new in 97 and all i ever did was repack the bearings back in 2005 just because I had them out for inspection. Meanwhile I wore thru 3 sets of tires dragging it all over the country.

Top Bottom