Trailer carnage...

OCD Solutions

Original, Clean and Dependable Solutions
Found this detail here, but it seems to make a conflicting statement...

While you have your hubs and wheels off now is a good time to check your springs, axle, and other suspension pieces. If you boat mainly in freshwater, your springs will probably look O.K. If you boat in saltwater, be prepared to replace your springs every few years depending on how much you use your boat. There should be no scaly rust on the springs and the leaves of the springs should be sandwiched tightly together. The axle should not be bent (duh!) Or have an abnormal amount of rust. The one item that should not be overlooked on the axle is the place where the hub seal rides. This area should be completely smooth no rust pits or grooves. If the seal does not fit tightly around this part of the axle, you can expect nothing but problems. If you do find that you need to replace your axle, it would be worth your while to search for a type of axle that has a grease fitting on the end of the spindle itself. This eliminates the need for any other type of lubrication device like bearing buddies. In my opinion, this is the best type of axle you can buy. With bearing buddies, only the outside bearing gets any grease. Bearing Buddies are better than having nothing at all but caution must be used not to overgrease and blow out the rear seal. If you are slinging grease on the insides of your trailer wheels it is time to replace your hub seals and quite possibly your bearings and races also. With the accu-lube or posi-lube style axle the inside bearing gets the grease first and with each pump of the grease gun flushes the old grease and water (if any) out through the end of the hub at the tip of your grease gun. There are oil bath systems out there, but, in my opinion, are complicated, expensive, and replacement parts are hard to come by.

If only the outside bearing gets any grease, how does the inner seal get blown out?

OCD Solutions

DSC03420.jpgDSCN1700.jpg

We suffered another loss on our trailer again this weekend just 3 miles further down the exact same road. This time it was the axle that broke. Nothing was hurt which is good as it had the potential to do a ton of damage to my brand new ski before it ever hit the water. The talk was had and a new trailer is soon to be purchased. We will be looking for a nice little enclosed trailer somewhere around the 10-12 ft range...I'm not sold on the enclosed completely but the wife feels it's the most secure agaist damage, vandalism and theft and her piece of mind is worth alot to me. I'm more concerned with the mileage drop and would like to continue hauling the skis on the rack in the truck, however I have always wanted an enclosed trailer and will purchase one regardless just because of how handy they are to use.

Aircraftsalz

Thrust built Dasa Power
I got a nice, small 3 ski trailer, New box, New jack, New 2in tung, spare tire, in really good condition. I'm going to buy a single ski trailer for my garage & keep my big 3/4 ski trailer. LMK if your interested.

Big Kahuna

Administrator
Our first trailer had swinging doors. This worked great because we had runners mounted to the bottom of the trailer for the ski's to sit on. Roll the tote up to it, and slide the ski's on and off. With are larger trailer we had the ramp door. We had to build our rack system for this one elevated so we could get the ski's on and off with one person. Something to think about. Also, find a trailer sales place vs going to lowes or home depot, you will get more for your money. We went with PACE Journey's trailers both times.

OCD Solutions

I am thinking Pace, Haulmark or Featherlight and Barn doors for sure. The bunk height will work out perfect for carts and you'll never have to drop that ramp into the mud, saltwater, etc...

I already have a plan to put a fresh water tank and an external shower unit in it as well as a nice little work bench and vise.

Crab

thanks darin...noswad!
FYI, I watched my brother have a sneaker wave go right up the ramp on his trailer last year at the surf slam.......also on boat trailers I recently saw some axle caps that apparently hold the bearings in some kind of gear oil bath.

OCD Solutions

Thanks Crab, I was actually checking out those oil bath axles on saturday to replace the one that broke but they were over $400 when a standard galvanized replacement for this one was only $75.

I have enough money into this trailer that I want to get it fixed up so I can sell it. I just have to repair the axle and replace 2 cross members and some hardware and it will be good to go until I find a nice enclosed trailer. They drilled holes to allow the water out but they were drilled in poor locations and allowed salt water to sit in a couple places still. It's actually a perfect little trailer that tows really nice.

I need a 52" piece of galvanized 1-1/2" square tubing and 2- 48" pieces of 2" x 3" tubing and the trailer is all good again.

Top Bottom