Other trailer lights

what kind of trailer lights is everyone using? im aways having problems with mine. i have to replace everything and it only lasts a couple months. i could never just change the bulb because it gets so rusted in there it wont move or it all falls apart near the light bulb.. is it just me or does everybody have this problem. im in salt water only..

these are the lights i use and they seem to suck..

FreestyleFreak

Region 7 AM Freestyle
I got nearly the same ones,and hate them.I always blow bulbs because i forget to un plug them before i back it in.Im fixing to invest in a good set of LED waterproof kit.Wont ever have to worry about blowing them and they dont use near the amp's that traditional bulb style do.

I have had various boat trailers and have never had a waterproof housing that worked for more than a few months.

Sealed LED lights on the other hand work perfect. Mine were $50 and have been going for 2.5 years. Now its the plug into the car that corrodes lol.

Sealed beam TRUCK lights also work and are a little cheaper for those concerned of costs, they are also proven in the trucking industry , I use these in oval or round all the time http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Red-...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories you can get them LED for more money if you chose and if you bust one any NAPA carries them You also dont need tools to replace them if back into something just press in very tight ! FWIW

Bobert540

Site Supporter
Truck lights are the way to go for a better cheaper led light. No more changing bulbs for me.

I cut a light housing in half that's used for tractor trailers and mounted that to my trailer. So it is made to hold the lights and protects them at the same time.

I can get a pic up but I won't be home for a few days.

Two things I learned growing up surfing and riding in San Diego.

1. Only put your trailer IN the water if you need to.

2. Salt water will destroy almost anything.

My riding buddies laugh at me on the sac river because the only time my trailer gets wet is from the drips from my wet ski. Good habbits save money. Go to oceanside and watch alot of the guys like Randy Lane park in the parking lot and bring their ski to the ramp on a tote and lock it to the pole. Go with the led, and stay out of the water.

I've had bad experiences with all trailer lights, both bulb and LED. IME bulbs last longer if you're diligent on unplugging before dipping and pulling the cover to grease bulb sockets, etc once in awhile.

All my LEDs slowly loose a diode or two over extended use and there's nothing you can do to recover. I end up with one light with 1-3 LEDs working and the other totally out. I got Optronics LEDs, which have a lifetime warranty, and am on my third in set 4-5 years. Need to contact them for new ones again but it's a PITA.

If it didn't look so doofy I'd run the pvc poles that keep them out of water, besides looks they're just another item to trip over or break getting around the trailer.

I might have to get creative and rig up a quick disconnect method for them since 80% of my trailering I don't even connect them anyway. If anyone has already done this post up some pics or give some suggestions.

D-Roc

I forgot!
LEDs is what i used on my trailer last summer. i like them.

attachment.php

Dustin Mustangs

uʍop ǝpıs dn
This must just be a salt water thing? I have been running the same sealed incandescent lights for years with no issues. I never unplug and they are commonly on under water because we normally ride till dark.

BruceSki

Formerly Motoman25
yeah salt water wrecks everything.

We all switched to using no lights and carry a magnetic set in the truck. when towing a ski trailer they never bust balls cause they can still see your taillights on your truck.

keep the magnetic ones with you just incase and the officer will let you go after you hook up the magnetic ones.

are these the magnetic ones your talking about they use AA batteries.. http://www.gemplers.com/product/125691/Magnetic-LED-Safety-Light-Amber#TAB-INFO

as long as the light stays on thats fine. the lights i had on the trailer you wouldent even be able to see in the day light anyways. its just those times that im leaving the ramp at dark with no lights that sux's..

going to see what pepboys has tomorrow..

motoman25. when do you guys start riding?? the water is in the 50s.im going to water test my blaster tomorrow..

This must just be a salt water thing? I have been running the same sealed incandescent lights for years with no issues. I never unplug and they are commonly on under water because we normally ride till dark.

Got to love fresh water! I'm with you.....mine have been really good. I replace a bulb every couple of years at the most.

BruceSki

Formerly Motoman25
i got my magnetic lights from harbor freight for 25 bucks. They are magnetic LED's. They have a harness with a 4 prong plug that connects to the truck.
http://www.harborfreight.com/12-volt-magnetic-towing-light-kit-67455.html
http://www.harborfreight.com/12-vol...-782A-E011-B31E-001B2163195C&mr:referralID=NA

Me and Ryan went for the first ride today. I rode my SJ and he rode his blaster. 4 foot waves, water wasn't too bad. However I'm wearing a 4/3 wetsuit with a semi-dry suit over that. I am out of shape. I was getting mopped up out there. Lost my ski on the third wave and was getting pummeled. I was dragging ass the whole day.

I sent my midshaft backwards and shredded a dampener. My flow control popped out of the stinger line too so I pulled into the ramp running like crap.

That 865 with a mag pump really pulls though. Threw a couple rolls in the surf and had one plate to plate off a boat wave. Didn't really fool around with any flatwater, but we took a lap or two through the marsh.

Last edited:

djkorn1

kidkornfilms
Site Supporter
I actually like the cheap non-sealed ones because they 'drain'. Where as the sealed ones leak and then keep the water in.

I just buy the $3.99 ones from the auto parts store...

I bought good ones a couple times and they got hit in the parking lot of the boat ramps.

motoman25.. tomorrow im just going to stay right by the ramp and tune the pipe and set the fcv. i just got my cast off my ankle 2 weeks ago so im still limping around. no surf for another month lol... how was the water should i wear a 6/5/4 or could i get away with a 3/2

BruceSki

Formerly Motoman25
i would wear the 6/5/4 for another couple weeks. Once its above 50 in the ocean the 3/2 is plenty.

Top Bottom