Trailer questions? Suggestions/Recommendations?

shawn_NJ

Chasing waves.
After looking at all the nice trailers in FL, I relized mine is a rusty total piece of :):):):) that will end up stranding me somewhere. So I decided its time to buck up and get a good trailer. I do not know much about trailers in general, so I will post what I am looking for and if you have any input, suggestions, places to buy, ect....let me know.

1)My budget is 2-3k for it.
2)I want it to be able to haul 3 standups inline in the back (not 2 +1 in the front).
3)I want an aluminum I-BEAM

Questions:
Is there a benefit to me for to go dual axle (worth the extra money)?
Are torsion axles worth the extra money?
Are bigger tires better? What size should I have on it?
Anyone know a place that will build it to my spec, ready to go, and ship it?
Any other suggestions?

I'll be pulling it with a 07 jeep wrangler.

Flash-FX

No Square..No Round..FX-1
Shawn, Trailers are a PITA. Torsion axles ride smooth, bigger tires spin less RPM and are easier on bearings and tires (less heat/wear). If you have a narrow Jeep, a narrower trailer that can follow behind in the draft will be easier to tow. Wide trailers create more drag and cost more $$ to tow...NJ to FLA and back.

You might be forced to create something "custom".

shawn_NJ

Chasing waves.
Shawn, Trailers are a PITA. Torsion axles ride smooth, bigger tires spin less RPM and are easier on bearings and tires (less heat/wear). If you have a narrow Jeep, a narrower trailer that can follow behind in the draft will be easier to tow. Wide trailers create more drag and cost more $$ to tow...NJ to FLA and back.

You might be forced to create something "custom".

I have another big project I am now working on full steam, and a trailer is the last damn thing I want to deal with building...LOL But after looking at all the "ready to go" options (high end tritons, ect) I think you are right, and I am going to have to put something together. I just want a one and done (forever) solution to transporting and have the ablility to take 3 with me. My rustbucket isnt going to last me much longer, and I have a feeling when it fails there will probably be lawsuits. :crutches:

Last edited:
P

PancakePete

shawn alex gets some really pimped trailers. pm or call him.

Im totally happy with my new loadrite alumnium trailer, all stainless hardware, led lights, torsion axle, tows great, plus with a few mods you can fit the beach cart, fuel jugs, box and 3 skis with no problems. I can get some pics if you want.

Attachments

• xc6j2a.jpg
    xc6j2a.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:

cycojon

addicted to my superjet
all i can say is don't go cheap on tires! and don't run those small skinny POS tires. right now i am in the process of swapping axles on my ski trailer to run a larger tire/bearings, i wore out my skinny pos tires in one trip from so cal to lake mohave! also my ol pontoon/ski hauler has those skinny little doughnut tires on it. they scare me, so im gonna swap them out too!

Im totally happy with my new loadrite alumnium trailer, all stainless hardware, led lights, torsion axle, tows great, plus with a few mods you can fit the beach cart, fuel jugs, box and 3 skis with no problems. I can get some pics if you want.

That's a nice looking trailer Alex!

shawn_NJ

Chasing waves.
Alex, that is exactly what I am looking for. Your trailer is one of the ones I was drooling over in daytona...lol I will def have you set mine up!

ger87410

How did I get here?
$2k for a 3 place stand-up trailer.

Custom make it and you could probably do it for around $500. Just start with a trailer that has a wheel base 6 feet or more and your should be good.

shawn_NJ

Chasing waves.
$2k for a 3 place stand-up trailer.

Custom make it and you could probably do it for around $500. Just start with a trailer that has a wheel base 6 feet or more and your should be good.

I have not found any super clean aluminum 2 place trailers to mod locally. Retail on loadrites aluminum 2 place trailer (single axle) starts around 2k for the trailer alone. Then throw in a diamond plate box, aluminum gas rack, led lights, all SS hardware, ect... that why I figured 2-3k.

I do not want a steel/galv trailer. Dunking it in salt water 3+ times a week in the summer.... every trailer I have owned rusted out. I want this to be the last trailer I will ever have to buy. I know I can get away cheaper if I go that route, but I do not want to. I do 2-3, 1000mile+ trips a year with the trailer so it seems like a good investment to make. If I had a real truck I'd buy an enclosed, but my jeep cant hack that.

ger87410

How did I get here?
Do you need a steel deck?

Couldn't you just get a beach dolly saving you time, money, trailer dunking, and work? I know we want to badly.

I paid < $2k for my 18' trailer new. Maybe because of my location? :shrug:

Could you please post a lot more pics of that trailer and what is the overall width with all skis on it ?

would it be possible to have the blaster sit up front or another standup, we need to trailor 3 standups and one blaster

did you have this custom made ?

shawn_NJ

Chasing waves.
Do you need a steel deck?

Couldn't you just get a beach dolly saving you time, money, trailer dunking, and work? I know we want to badly.

I paid < $2k for my 18' trailer new. Maybe because of my location? :shrug:

Agreed, using my cart would save wear and tear on the trailer. But carting 3 skis to the water on busy pay ramps with nagging attendants, is not really easier/ideal.

If you have a link to where you got your trailer I'll def give them a call for a quote.

the loadrite alum comes standard with stainless hardware and led lights the only upgrades are alum wheels and spare tire. i'll get some more pics and measurements. With buying the trailer with the upgraded wheels and spare, building the fuel jug rack, box, some alum for the mods and the ulitmate bunk boards i have 2100.00 into it. The tires are fine there radials. I have had this trailer since the end of july and have put about 3000 to 4000 miles on it and couldn't be happier and dont have to worry about broken fender brackets like my galavainzed double.

Last edited:

shawn_NJ

Chasing waves.
My friend who pulls alot of heavy equipment is telling me to spring for a dual axle while I'm at it, but he cant tell me why its better...other then its better? Does it make a difference?

Top Bottom