Trailer storage suggestions...

thegoldenboy

RN Surgery... soon
Hey guys,

I'm moving into my first house in a month. My buddy and I have decided to ride locally in Lake Ontario (big lake for those who don't know) on a weekly basis. We're 15 mins from launch. Seems stupid not to ride weekly. right now we pretty much ride at the cottage and only on weekends.

I'm planning to get a single trailer and converting it into a double standup.

I will have a single garage (20' x 10') I don't want the trailer to occupy the garage as I like to have a clean shop and maximize my space.

Where do you put your trailers? What are the dimensions of a standard single trailer converted to hold 2 skis?

I'm thinking stand it up at the side of my house. Or can I maybe manuver it into my backyard.

Its a townhouse and space between units is tight, luckily I'm on an end and should have an 8' gap between houses. I'll just have to make a big backyard gate?

Any other ideas?

D Slicker

Durham, dont forget it
I keep mine in a friends backyard but i know people that keep then at storage yards. I would check with your homeowners association before putting up a fence. That is usually common area and you usually don't own it. That said you are in canada so it may be different.

sxi steve

Life's short, have fun.
Hey, congrats on your 1st home. You had better check or find out; you may have an association which will not permit trailers and such hanging around on the outside of your house. :frown:

How about this idea for a trailer. :thinking: Purchase a 5' or 6' x 8' flatbed trailer (with the short side walls), like the black ones Home Depot or Lowes sell. Add some removable ski rails and a bow attachment. You can use it for jetskiig and sence you now own a house you can use it for ALL the hauling needs of a homeowner as well. :smile:

Last edited:

motojunkie96

AKA "The Paulinator"
To make room in my garage, I would just load my ski onto a dolly and then flip the single trailer up sideways against the garage wall. Tires still kinda stuck out, but it freed up floorspace.

zoo

old and busted
I had put some thought into this last year as I was tired of my trailer taking up space in my garage and this is what I came up with .. I moved my fence along the side of my house to extend the backyard and then installed these adjustable gate kits to give me a double swinging gate wide enough to get my double trailer in the back yard. For your situation you wont need to move the fence but you could certainly add a gate or two.

http://www.hooverfence.com/woodfence/ag.htm

You cant even tell that theres a gate from the front. The kit includes all the needed hardware inlcuding a hardware to lock the gate.

Anyway, I'm really happy with the way that it turned out.

-Brian

Attachments

• DSC002 (31).jpg
    DSC002 (31).jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 57
  • DSC002 (33).jpg
    DSC002 (33).jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 35

thegoldenboy

RN Surgery... soon
We can have trailers in backyards or beside the house. Not a problem, I live in the same town now and people do this.

How long would a single trailer be? I could stand it up inside the garage, but I only have an 8' celing. (there is a bedroom above the garage).

thegoldenboy

RN Surgery... soon
Thats cool Brian! Thanks. Unfortunately with a 8' space between my house on 1 side, and 0' space on the other, I'll only have a 4' door max I'm thinking...

We install our own fences if we want, so maybe I can customize it a bit.

Lot is only 32' W x 110" D

I guess I could store it locally for almost nothing, but I like to have things on my own turf to make it convenient. That way you can gas and go, not having to worry about driving to pick up a trailer, than driving back to load the skis, than to the lake. Than on the way home to reverse, drop skis, drop trailer, return home. Lots of extra BS!

oxnard111

Creative RE Purchasing
Just pull the ski's off the trailer when you get home (so they won't get stolen and stay out of the sun) and then leave the trailer in the drive way. Thats what I do, but don't always take ski's off the trailer.

We can have trailers in backyards or beside the house. Not a problem, I live in the same town now and people do this.

How long would a single trailer be? I could stand it up inside the garage, but I only have an 8' celing. (there is a bedroom above the garage).

It's not the town you have to worry about. It's the HOA for the townhome complex that you need to worry about. get a copy of the HOA handbook before you close if that might be a deal breaker because it'll be too late when you finish the closing and they hand you the book that says you can't do it. What about just pushing the trailer outside into the driveway when you need extra space? Trailer will be longer than 8' unless you get one of those folding harbor freight deals.

thegoldenboy

RN Surgery... soon
Its a freehold town, as far as I know there are no restriction, we can paint our house whatever colour we want, so we should be able to store trailers in our own yards. I'll do it anyways...

Trailer cannot be in the driveway, only single parking spot.

Its a freehold town, as far as I know there are no restriction, we can paint our house whatever colour we want, so we should be able to store trailers in our own yards. I'll do it anyways...

Trailer cannot be in the driveway, only single parking spot.

Again, HOA has nothing to do with the town. The HOA governs what you can do within your development. If the HOA rules state that every house must be brown, then your house has to be brown no matter what the city says. I'd check in to it. My HOA prohibits me from using chain link fencing. The city could care less what my fence is made from.

Again, HOA has nothing to do with the town. The HOA governs what you can do within your development. If the HOA rules state that every house must be brown, then your house has to be brown no matter what the city says. I'd check in to it. My HOA prohibits me from using chain link fencing. The city could care less what my fence is made from.

F'in homewreckers association.......:bs2:

if they dont like what youre doing, it shoudnt take long for you to get a nastygram..

whenever they give me a hard time...I just tell em..."talk to bob"

(bob was the guy that owned my house before me....lol)

thegoldenboy

RN Surgery... soon
Garrett - I see what your saying, I know it won't be an issue. Its a little different up here I guess. Associations are hardly existant, we've lived in the neighborhood for 2 years and never have heard about it, no flyers, no calls, etc. The new home may be different, we'll see.
Everyone just locks themselves inside their homes, and don't communicate with eachother. :)

I'll figure it out, maybe I can grab a swing away tongue or something.

Was considering raising it with pulleys, but than I figured the garage door might get in the way, and I'd hate a steel trailer to fall on my or the wifes head.

Rather_B_SLEDDING

Is it snowing yet?
Dude,

You definatly don't have a HoA to deal with.... we can put a trailer in the backyard no prob with 2 people. The GP trailer is long probally 12', so it won't go on end in the garage. But I have a better idea... Sell the civic and buy a b2200, never a concern again.

BTW what would you say if i brought your ski home this weekend? Not sure I will but I wouldn't mind riding next week, Rylan wants to take out the supra so we gots wake!

Dude,

You definatly don't have a HoA to deal with.... we can put a trailer in the backyard no prob with 2 people. The GP trailer is long probally 12', so it won't go on end in the garage. But I have a better idea... Sell the civic and buy a b2200, never a concern again.

BTW what would you say if i brought your ski home this weekend? Not sure I will but I wouldn't mind riding next week, Rylan wants to take out the supra so we gots wake!

I wouldn't be so sure about that. Most condos and townhomes do have HOA's. What's to keep your neighbor from painting his house purple and yellow? How do you think the common areas are taken care of? When and how does the parking lot get paved? That's all HOA stuff. It's not just a new house thing.

thegoldenboy

RN Surgery... soon
Dude,

Yeah I'll ride. Bring 'er home! Supra wake... :arms:

I don't want a truck. Its the whole lifting skis in and out of the water that sucks, my back is saying no. I want to drive on/off and not worry about it. We'll build a box for fuel and tools. A truck is too much, wife wants something that starts with B and ends in W. :frown: Not until spring, we do need a new car though...

I'm not worried about HOA either. If they do exist, they can let me know. I'll move the trailer, no big deal.

Rather_B_SLEDDING

Is it snowing yet?
I wouldn't be so sure about that. Most condos and townhomes do have HOA's. What's to keep your neighbor from painting his house purple and yellow? How do you think the common areas are taken care of? When and how does the parking lot get paved? That's all HOA stuff. It's not just a new house thing.

Condo townhomes do but not townhomes, It must be different up here???
There are plenty of neighbourhoods that have different colour paint on the garage door etc. It looks like chit but that' the way it is,

Now enough about that... Anybody else have any storage ideas?

Peter123

C-Note
Get a folding trailer, hoist, straps and furniture dolly. Here is what I use:

Trailer - I have a fold up trailer from Harbor Freight. I just added bunks that bolt on and off. $239

( http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=42709 )

Hoist - I mounted a hoist in the garage so that I can easily lift the ski off the trailer and onto a furniture dolly. I got it on sale for $59.

( http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=40765 )

Furniture Dolly - $19

( http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=38970 )

Straps - The only item you can't get from Harbor Freight. lol. $98 - but I actually got mine for about $55 - just can't remember where.

( http://www.boatliftdistributors.com/seat-harness-p-214.html?osCsid=78fbc8bd37d6050287e1a96d2e07ddd4 )

So for around $400, you'll be able to pull your ski (s) off the trailer and set them on the furniture dolly to roll against the wall and then fold up the trailer and roll it against the wall.

The only problem I have is that I wish I could get a folding galvanized trailer.

Top Bottom