Transferring Title or HIN to different Hull (Cali)

Half flip95

Formerly pondracer95
so here's what I don't get... the quagga mussle sticker... if that little sticker comes off your ski, how does the fish cop know you bought it? no where on the registration does it signify whether you bought it or not.

i think the whole paperwork system is jacked up on skis. seems like less then 10% actually have legit paperwork. its such a pita to deal with that people are resorting to committing felonies rather than deal with the dmv to figure out paper on a non stolen ski.

i sold a guy a like new 96 sxi last week. i never had any papers on it. my buddy had bought it from some nice old lady who said it was her sons before he died in a car crash. the guy went to register it and the dmv said there is a lein on it. really? 18 years later. I told him to swap hins. it is criminal, but it's like smoking pot... everybody does it, but if you get caught doing something stupid it just gives them a reason to come down on you harder.

I think youre pretty far off on the 10%. I personally don't know anyone that isn't legit. Its just not that hard to do it the right way. NDRED, you should talk to Zack Bright about whether its important or not. One of you search savvy guys find and post a link to that thread to remind some people. Then there is the insurance part of it. You may have a $25k ski but they aren't gonna underwrite a Superjet for that amount.

Last edited:

OCD Solutions

Original, Clean and Dependable Solutions
I think youre pretty far off on the 10%. I personally don't know anyone that isn't legit. Its just not that hard to do it the right way. NDRED, you should talk to Zack Bright about whether its important or not. One of you search savvy guys find and post a link to that thread to remind some people. Then there is the insurance part of it. You may have a $25k ski but they aren't gonna underwrite a Superjet for that amount.

This thread talks about it a bit but I couldn't find a specific thread about it. I think it broke on Facebook and spilled onto the X?;
http://www.x-h2o.com/index.php?threads/dont-forget-your-registration.112482/

erubamyv.jpg

I got this Sn SJ hull for 75$
No cracks or damage anywhere I can see. Just been sitting and is faded. But no paperwork. Tags are from 03.
I'll be trying the legal way, any starter advice? What form to fill out first?

Go to dmv website search for lost title form, fill it out and go in "asking" for help. Go to a person that does title work for ya and give them $50, they usually have a "friend" at the DMV, and make things easy plus no standing in line. Go put a storage lien on it, usually cost about $50 but if it clears lien ya still gotta take your time and get it inspected. I would choose the second option unless you have a lot of spare time. EDIT: Maybe this will help, just did a quick search, not sure if it applies.
If you do not have a California Certificate of Title or expired registration card, or you only have a photocopy of the registration card, the following items are required to register your vehicle:
  • A completed Application for Title or Registration (REG 343) form.
    • The Cost Information section must be completed with the purchase price to establish a vehicle license fee classification.
  • A Verification of Vehicle (REG 31) form. This form must be completed by an authorized DMV employee or any peace officer.
  • A Statement of Facts (REG 256) form, which contains the following information:
    • How, when, and from whom the vehicle was acquired.
    • What efforts were made to obtain evidence of ownership and why it was unobtainable.
    • The current value of the vehicle.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help.
I'm printing the forms now.

I don't understand what the storage lien is.
And lets assume I'm not friends with anyone who in the DMV or know anyone who is.

Well I called the DMV today,
The SJ was never reported stolen or anything complicated. But the guy I bought it from was not the last person on in the records. So for 150$ in fees its good to go if I can track down the owner on record and get his signature.
The good news is, the guy I got it from, got it from his friend.
The bad news is, the guy I got it from got it from his friend.
Lets see how long it takes to get a piece of paper out of the friend with his John Handcock on it.

You don't have to get the prev owners sig or any info. Go in in a week, and say you tried contacting him, but only got ahold of his relatives, and they said he is no loner with us. On the phone. I've do e it over 5x. There is no way to prove your lying, even if he isnt dead, which is what matters in court, and they will give you a statement of facts to fill out, and you will pay some money, and get a title.

Trust me, ive done it dozens of times.

He is no,longer with us can mean he moved out of the house, state, country, or died. The DMV person is going to assume he died. Guaranteed, and issue you a state,ent of facts.

What's his lesson he can easily make his money back and them some by parting it out. If he can't get a tittle....
I suppose that is one way to look at it. My statement was based on the OP actually starting this thread because he bought it to ride it, not part it. That is where the "lesson learned" came from. Another way to look at buying a ski with no title is some one steals your ski, I buy it with no title and part it? Thanks for pointing that option out.

Last edited:
before buying anything that may be stolen or have a million dollars in back fees, you can call the dmv 1 800 777 0133 and tell them you are thinking about buying this boat/car/cycle and ask them about the registration status. they will tell you everything but the owners name.

Last edited:
For cars, you can also have all chp fees wiped away from back fees if you do a statement of facts saying it hasn't touched any public road since the reg expired. Tis usually cuts the back fees in half if not more. Just in case people didn't know.

California only

You caN also run registration online and see back fees most times on the DMV website

Well lets be honest. I bought it for 75$, and its in GREAT condition. But had no usable parts save for the pole. The motor is seized/rusted/broken stuff, Mid shaft is good, had water box and misc fuel lines and steering cable. I knew I was taking a risk, but it was only 75$.

My local DMV (HA, by local I mean closest is hour and half away) have always been quite reasonable and easy to deal with, I'm confident if I bring in all the forms that wanderer1 posted I can get a new title. I would have already, but...hour and half away.

I've been through this once before on a wet jet Kraze. Bought it and a stock SN for 1000$ both running. Made damn sure the title was legit on the SJ, didn't bother with the Wet jet, and neither did the previous owner. Tried to register it for a season so my GF could ride something. When I went to the DMV it I was informed that it had a lien on it via Golden One Credit Union. Made one attempt to get that sorted out, but Golden one wouldn't even talk to us. Oh well into the trash with it. Motor is in the SJ now. Any one need parts from the Kraze before I take a saw to it?

If I wasn't going to try and sell the other SJ, I probably wouldn't bother..

Go to dmv website search for lost title form, fill it out and go in "asking" for help. Go to a person that does title work for ya and give them $50, they usually have a "friend" at the DMV, and make things easy plus no standing in line. Go put a storage lien on it, usually cost about $50 but if it clears lien ya still gotta take your time and get it inspected. I would choose the second option unless you have a lot of spare time. EDIT: Maybe this will help, just did a quick search, not sure if it applies.
If you do not have a California Certificate of Title or expired registration card, or you only have a photocopy of the registration card, the following items are required to register your vehicle:
  • A completed Application for Title or Registration (REG 343) form.
    • The Cost Information section must be completed with the purchase price to establish a vehicle license fee classification.
  • A Verification of Vehicle (REG 31) form. This form must be completed by an authorized DMV employee or any peace officer.
  • A Statement of Facts (REG 256) form, which contains the following information:
    • How, when, and from whom the vehicle was acquired.
    • What efforts were made to obtain evidence of ownership and why it was unobtainable.
    • The current value of the vehicle.

I spoke to the DMV on their hotline, and she said I would have to fill out section 6 from REG 227.
Is the form you posted for like a new vehicle?
ah hell, I'll just fill them both out...

Idk, I don't believe so. I just did a real quick site search. You may have to go on the site and do a little more in depth search. Good luck man, hope it works out well for ya and you can get on the water with a good title.

Top Bottom