Tried the lightweight battery mod...

Waternut

Customizing addict
make sure you charge it for 12 hrs.. (trickle)

Well unless everyone is just overcharging these things and not knowing it, I would think using a sophisticated charger that senses peak charge is better than trickle charging it.

I did take the Walmart one back and you guys were right, they didn't bat an eye at it. I just told them it wouldn't hold a charge (completely honest). I went ahead and ordered myself one of these instead. http://www.apexbattery.com/adventur...teries-universal-power-scooter-batteries.html

It actually came out to be cheaper with shipping because I didn't have to pay a core charge. It's slightly lighter, has more CCA, and more Amp/hours too. I'll find out if it works any better soon enough.

Ericfox

Do it twice?That's DooDoo
I used to buy those walmart batteries, seems like they never lasted more then one season if that.

That is prob. true of any walmart battery...

Get this one.... I got it but dont have my own review of it yet...

4.5 lb yuasa ytz7s battery (130 CCA)

It has gotten pretty good reviews from a few people on here... about 2-3 times more expensive than the walmart battery though...

After reading all the posts about the cheap 4lb. walmart battery that Yamaslut started, I thought I would give it a shot.

Well that was money well wasted. I've charged it 2 times on a 1.5amp auto charger and when that failed to work, 2 more times on an advanced peak charger. It still won't turn my engine over fast enough to get it going. 5-10 seconds of cranking and you can listen to it start dying.

How did everyone else make these things work? What am I missing?

did you follow the instructions and allow the acid 1 hour to soak before you capped it?

SuperJETT

So long and thanks for all the fish
Well unless everyone is just overcharging these things and not knowing it, I would think using a sophisticated charger that senses peak charge is better than trickle charging it.

Actually, the initial charge should be exactly what they call for, not an 'automatic' charger deal.

There is a lot to how lead acid batteries work, based on design also. I was a nuke electrician on a sub with a 126 cell battery where each cell weighed over 1000 lbs. Taking care of it was one of our primary duties, including test discharges, equalizing charges, etc. It also had the stored energy required to lift our sub like 1 mile out of the water or kill us all. I've forgotten way more about batteries than I remember that's for sure, even had a couple of classes specifically on it.

Anyway, when you get a new battery, follow the instructions to a tee so you can get full capacity out of it, and don't use an automatic charger unless you have to, they shut off well before they should on an initial charge.

Last edited:

Waternut

Customizing addict
I'm not sure I have a battery charger that isn't automatic. Haven't seen one in a while...
The instructions were conflicting on the wait time. It said fill it and wait 30-60 minutes before charging with all the warning about how to cap it and what amp rating to charge at. In the picture next to this step it had someone putting the cap on. The next step was capping it and no instructions to actually charge...just a table. I figured I'd be on the safe side and wait 30 minutes uncapped and 30 minutes capped before charging.

What's the proper procedure? Fill, wait, cap, charge or fill, cap, wait, charge?

i absolutely agree! lighter/smaller has it's advantages. BUT! if you ride in the surf or wilderness, and aren't extremely sure of what you're doing. Just get a freaking sealed battery from a good source, that has the appropriate cranking amps, and isn't %50 cheaper than the others. When it's time for your battery to work... i guarantee you, you will be pissed at short cuts when it doesn't. :bananalama:

ride on doggies!!!

tor*p*do

Squarenose FTW
Site Supporter
I bought a $400 WR500 and it came with a year old Wally world battery
Been run for two summers since and I cranked it the other day, still no problems.
I have a higher end charger and set it for 2 amps once a month and it is going strong. I wouldnt buy one, but they do work if maintained.
I BUY yuasa. . . . . .Made in the USA http://www.yuasabatteries.com/

Top Bottom