Trim Cable stuck in thru hull tube...

holygoat

Site Supporter
Strange one. Fitting my trim cable, ran it through one of my thru hull tubes, no problem.

Decided to use a different one for pump waterline clearance, so I go to pull it bscn thru the hull and now it's stuck. I can't move it back or forth. It's well and truly stuck in there.

I've tried compressed air, I'm gonna try tapping it with a large piece of threaded rod tomorrow from the pump side, any other ideas? Has anyone had this happen before?

Is it threaded on the ends like a steering cable? If so and you know the thread pitch, maybe get a 1/4" mild steel round bar about twice as long as the tube, drill and tap the end and try to get it to thread onto the cable end if you think it's in a position to do so. Use a die on the other end of the round bar so you can thread a nut on there and make a little slide hammer. If you jammed it trying to pull it back into the hull then don't go hog wild on it pulling harder, you'll just bind it up harder and make the situation worse. This is one of those times where less is more. If threading something onto it is not looking too promising, maybe some mechanical wire or a fish tape and try to hook onto it from the pump side or at least get the wire to sneak past it so you can wrap it around what's in the hull to give some good traction on the sheath. Without seeing it it's tough to come up with ideas beyond that :/

holygoat

Site Supporter
I had to knock it out with a rod, in doing that I took the whole thru hull tube with it. I patched with 5200 and I used one of my spares. Come winter I'll probably upsize my tubes to 1/2" ID. The bend in the tube fouled the trim cable fitting on the end. I think if it was 1/2"and not 3/8" it would be fine. Thanks all. It was well and truly stuck in there.

Top Bottom