Freestyle Trouble jumping wakes...

Im having a problem, dont know if its me or the ski. When I jump wakes I cant get the ass end up??? So when I jump them im pointed straight up 90 degrees maybe even more sometimes lol....Am I doing something wrong or does my ski need more mods? Right now I have a rideplate intake grate and a cone. Will a new impeller help with this? I want to launch!!

Last edited:
I have problems with it on my blaster if I try to spear them. Try riding the wake/wave up more. Give the throttle a little hit as you come up the wave too. That method works for me when you get the timing right.

NVJAY775

My home away from home.
Maybe take a look at some vids and watch where the riders center of gravity is (body position) and also listen (if you can) to their throttle control. Sounds like your weight may be back when launching. Maybe a little throttle control also. Just my .02

kraqus

Site Supporter
Sounds like you are leaning back too much.
Change your stand, one foot forward and lean after you jump pushing the pole down at the same time.
What kind of wakes and where were you jumping?

Benny

Yeah It must be me leaning back too much! I agree foot wells would definately help, I stand with both feet on the back of the tray lol. Putting a foot forward and pushing down on the pole would probably help out too.

Sounds like you are leaning back too much.
Change your stand, one foot forward and lean after you jump pushing the pole down at the same time.
What kind of wakes and where were you jumping?

Benny

Ive only had it out twice but then again I just got it a couple weeks ago lol. Both times I just went to Turlock lake because its the closest. I would sit out by the 5mph and wait for boats to leave the ramp or coming in from the ramp. Mostly wakeboarding boats, but some nice wakes! Couple times I had the ski more than 90 degrees like 100 or 110 lol and I was able to stay on but like I said I dont want my ass end skimming the water I want to be up up and away!

Last edited:

Jetaddict

9 years to retirement...
I had the same problem when I first started riding standups. I added foot straps and started riding one foot in front of the other. Think about it: both feet, in the back of the tray, and if you weigh a lot (like my fat ass..lol), you launch and you are in a sense PUSHING the rear end of the ski. It's like standing on a teeter totter with no one on the other side. With the footwells or straps, you can keep the weight off the rear, and with the change in stance you will evenly distribute the weight toward the front of the boat.

SJBrit

Extraordinary Alien
All those things help, but you don't need footholds, surf stance or a shortened pole to jump without getting vertical. It's just a matter of where your body is when you take off (not where your feet are - you can jump absolutely flat with your feet at the back of the tray. You can also do surf-stance backflips).

When you come into the wake, give the throttle a quick blip to pop the front up and then let it drop into the trough infront of the wake (or between the wakes if you are jumping further back). Don't let your weight go backwards - let the ski some up underneath you.

Then when you hit the wake, hit the throttle to get some air. Here's where you have to get your body in the right position - try to keep your back straight and you arms into your chest - stick your elbows out sideways. The main reason people go over the back is that the hang their butts way off the back with their arms all gangly and stretched which makes your body act like a pendulum. Get your butt in, and get your arms in and you will land on the tail, but the ski will rock forward when you land. Stick your butt way out to the rear of the ski and of course it is going to spin over backwards.

Make sense?

All those things help, but you don't need footholds, surf stance or a shortened pole to jump without getting vertical. It's just a matter of where your body is when you take off (not where your feet are - you can jump absolutely flat with your feet at the back of the tray. You can also do surf-stance backflips).

When you come into the wake, give the throttle a quick blip to pop the front up and then let it drop into the trough infront of the wake (or between the wakes if you are jumping further back). Don't let your weight go backwards - let the ski some up underneath you.

Then when you hit the wake, hit the throttle to get some air. Here's where you have to get your body in the right position - try to keep your back straight and you arms into your chest - stick your elbows out sideways. The main reason people go over the back is that the hang their butts way off the back with their arms all gangly and stretched which makes your body act like a pendulum. Get your butt in, and get your arms in and you will land on the tail, but the ski will rock forward when you land. Stick your butt way out to the rear of the ski and of course it is going to spin over backwards.

Make sense?

Yeah good info thanks, I am 6'2" is that a disadvantage at all? Im going to take my ski out today even though its getting chilly lol 70 degrees is the high and no wetsuit hope I dont freeze my ass off!

SJBrit

Extraordinary Alien
No, that's not a disadvantage if you keep your body straight. It's a big disadvantage if you swing your butt out over the back of the ski since you can swing it further than average :smile:

You don't need any mods to your ski, just modify your technique. As you approach the wake, let off the throttle a little so the ski will settle to the bottom of the wake. Pin it as you ride up the face and just before you leave the wake, jump a little. This will take the weight off the back of the ski letting the rear come up. You will fly horizontal to the water and if you carry enough speed and hit the wake in the right spot you can land on the other wake....wake to wake :)

SJBrit

Extraordinary Alien
You will fly horizontal to the water and if you carry enough speed and hit the wake in the right spot you can land on the other wake....wake to wake :)

You really don't want to be horizontal: you want to land tail first, but not so nose high that you are tipping over the back. As soon as you start to get any height you'll realize that landing horizontally is VERY jarring to the point of injury if you start to get up there.

Top Bottom