Trying to Flip my Superjet

nucleus_coolins

Does things to makes the do goods
Im getting a new hull soon, so I figured I would try to send my SJ to an early grave with some flip attempts.

Hit up the surf at Pismo over the weekend and was pretty stoked to start trying to flip.
Rode both Saturday and Sunday and in total I got 2 out of 5 attempts 3/4 way around.
Heres how my 2nd attempt came out:

And heres a nice roll I landed pretty clean on the same day:

Progress progress progress!
Im pretty stoked.
Started to tear down my SJ already so I guess this was my parting farewell with this hull.

nucleus_coolins

Are you turning your bars to the left and leaning to the right??
It totally looks like that now that I rewatch it
Im turning to the right and throwing my head to the right tho.
I think it just looks funky cuz i hit it pretty steep and got rotated like an extra 90 degrees to the right.

I put together a video with more attempts and some small surf clips.
I get my head smashed pretty good on one of the attempts, breaks my visor in half and made me hella dazed for a few minutes.
Check it out:

EVO budddies? lol. I have just popped my cherry also before my Evo arrived. It had to be done or i would have been given loads of stick off the guys i ride with. Welcome to the flip and Evo club mate :)

I've come to the conclusion that there is 2 ways to do a barrel roll. Im not certain on what the initial difference is but the outcome looks like 2 completely different tricks. The way I and a most of the guys I ride with do it, ends up looking like the nose is pointing slightly downwards and the ski goes around it like an axis. The other way like in your vid, it seems like its the opposite. The nose is always pointing up and its different rotation.
Hard to explain but does anyone see this?

nucleus_coolins

EVO budddies? lol. I have just popped my cherry also before my Evo arrived. It had to be done or i would have been given loads of stick off the guys i ride with. Welcome to the flip and Evo club mate :)
Thanks man! I thought the exact same thing, had to start trying em now so I dont ruin my new hull learning the "what not to do" haha.

I've come to the conclusion that there is 2 ways to do a barrel roll. Im not certain on what the initial difference is but the outcome looks like 2 completely different tricks. The way I and a most of the guys I ride with do it, ends up looking like the nose is pointing slightly downwards and the ski goes around it like an axis. The other way like in your vid, it seems like its the opposite. The nose is always pointing up and its different rotation.
Hard to explain but does anyone see this?
I totally know what you mean, I see my friends roll their am hulls way differently than I roll the SJ. Sometimes when I hook up real good on a wave, I dont throw my head as hard and it ends up kind of oblong egg shaped roll, but when I throw my head as hard as I can it ends up spiraling alot straighter like a football. My friends rolls almost look like flatspins at times tho. Im really excited to see how different rolling the Rickter will be, and how much easier to flip haha

nucleus_coolins

Looks super sketch! Rollin in the shallows coming in nozzle down yikes! :eek:
Super sketch! It was probably only 3ft deep right there lol. I got caught in the wash on some reentries that weekend and when I fell, i was practically laying on the ground in like 8inches of water haha. From here out the bottom of my hull will never look as clean as it does in pic 2

Super sketch! It was probably only 3ft deep right there lol. I got caught in the wash on some reentries that weekend and when I fell, i was practically laying on the ground in like 8inches of water haha. From here out the bottom of my hull will never look as clean as it does in pic 2
Good way to wad up a steering nozzle. You coming up to Grayland next weekend?

nucleus_coolins

Good way to wad up a steering nozzle. You coming up to Grayland next weekend?
I really want to roll out and compete, but I dont think I can make it this year :(
Need some more time on the new hull too, I gotta start hucking some backies first I think.
Might try and make it out to Surf Slam to watch my buddies compete and play around between rounds, not sure yet tho.
Ill be at the fall Pismo freeride this year tho for sure!

I really want to roll out and compete, but I dont think I can make it this year :(
Need some more time on the new hull too, I gotta start hucking some backies first I think.
Might try and make it out to Surf Slam to watch my buddies compete and play around between rounds, not sure yet tho.
Ill be at the fall Pismo freeride this year tho for sure!
Ah you should still come up....you don't need to have backies to compete. The am comp is split up into surf riding and aerials.

nucleus_coolins

Ah you should still come up....you don't need to have backies to compete. The am comp is split up into surf riding and aerials.
Ya, I still really want to make it out there. Love that its on the Krash tour now thats so awesome! Ill scrape together my pennies and tune my motor, see where im at by then :)

Top Bottom