Tubbies?

FlightPlanDan

Don'tTrustAfartAfter50
Simple question for sj surf riders with tubbies.

Do you "pearl" less. or at all?

I've been pearling hard and often since I shortened my pole. I realize that I will adjust, but was wondering.....
Can tubbies "make-up" for the sj's lack of rocker?

And, if so, at what cost of performance? (I like the sj hull)

Last edited:

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
I have had only one bad pearl since putting them on, but I don't ride surf as much as others.

FlightPlanDan

Don'tTrustAfartAfter50
I have had only one bad pearl since putting them on, but I don't ride surf as much as others.

All I ride is surf. I love the short pole, but the weight forward is changing everything when it comes to carving faces. I like it. But I'm rolling a lot!

Do you notice any "downside" in performance...(in general) with tubbies?

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
There is a bit of chine walk at mid speeds that's weird at first.
I got used to it quickly to where I do not notice it anymore.
I don't think you would ever notice that in the surf. It only happened on nearly glass water at cruising speed.

I love my tubbies (but that's on an Fx-1). I do still pearl, but it let's me get a lot more vert down the face before it occurs. On an FX it doesn't seem to add any bad behavior at any speed. I can pin mine wide open on glass smooth water indefinitely and it never chine walks or gets squirely. My approach to tubbies is "bigger is better". I make my own and carve them so they are very wide at the nose. In normal riding the broad nose doesn't really come into play, but at the point where you would normally begin to pearl they really shine.

Attachments

• DSCN0462.jpg
    DSCN0462.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 50
  • DSCN0459.jpg
    DSCN0459.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 59

FlightPlanDan

Don'tTrustAfartAfter50
I love my tubbies (but that's on an Fx-1). I do still pearl, but it let's me get a lot more vert down the face before it occurs. On an FX it doesn't seem to add any bad behavior at any speed. I can pin mine wide open on glass smooth water indefinitely and it never chine walks or gets squirely. My approach to tubbies is "bigger is better". I make my own and carve them so they are very wide at the nose. In normal riding the broad nose doesn't really come into play, but at the point where you would normally begin to pearl they really shine.

Those definately look big!
I've always said that I would not get them because I like the hull.I looked at them as if they were a "crutch". But then, I went for air only. As I learn to play on the faces I'm changing my mind!

Top Bottom