Turning/Carving

munki63

Epoxy is my duct tape
How do you do it, And if your not sure what Im talking about, I mean when guys are racing how do they turn that sharp and get there ski leaning at that type of an angle.

cookerq62

Life's Been Good
Learn how to do body turns which is basically dragging your butt in the water. You will spend alot more time on the ski when learing. Also practice turning without using the steering, you basically just lean the ski and use the throttle. In a carving turn the hull is what turns the ski not the steering system. In really hard carving turns the bars will be turned the opposite direction and the ski will hold the turn perfectly. You really only need to use the steering to initiate the turn the rest is body possition and throttle control. Nice linear Power & hook up are a huge help too.

Wolf Child

Just Another Octard
150a.jpg

061a.jpg

munki63

Epoxy is my duct tape
dont listen to brett...

pole low..
body lower
one foot in front one in back..
roll on the power as you apex the turn

So your squatting in the tray,hence the low pole/body and you lean in to the turn with out turning the bars, the more you lean the more power you need, and when your done turning just stop leaning?

and for the guys that put there ass/foot way out to one side of the tray you need alot of power...if it matters ill be trying on a superjet

Wolf Child

Just Another Octard
So your squatting in the tray,hence the low pole/body and you lean in to the turn with out turning the bars, the more you lean the more power you need, and when your done turning just stop leaning?

and for the guys that put there ass/foot way out to one side of the tray you need alot of power...if it matters ill be trying on a superjet

I weight my rear foot and twist at the hips ( like slalom skiing ) then power through the corner. you just have to ride that ragged edge between cavitation and keeping the pump loaded. you lose pump pressue, and your done. it's not that hard, don't be afraid to get wet.

cookerq62

Life's Been Good

It really either takes power or fineness. Pulling out of the turn you either add more throttle and some opposite steering. Or pull your weight back centered on the ski. If you lay the ski all the way over you will be out of throttle. The 550sx I'm riding in this pic only has a rideplate.

Attachments

• temp.jpg
    temp.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 204

dave787

Couches are boring
really is all about the lean on the 08+ sj and sxr. some times letting off on the throttle some while leaning to initiate the turn will help get weight forward to get the ski carving, then throttle it through the turn to keep it railing. it's fun trying to get the spray going like a slalom skiier one you get turning down

Attachments

• DSC02306.jpg
    DSC02306.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 134
  • DSC02313.jpg
    DSC02313.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 144
Last edited:

cookerq62

Life's Been Good
The 2008's are insane. The pump will stay hooked up at any angle. I swear I have had the ski past parallel with the water. I've had the chinpad in the water in a corner.

nokfir

just pratice, dont be afraid to fall....ease off the throttle, lean into it and power out.. my ski is mostly stock except some handling mods and im getting better everytime i ride...it just comes to riding hours on the ski. more u practice better u will get.

heres some stock 08 sj carving.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isM9xFrpTIw"]YouTube - Yamaha Super Jet 2008 - BoatTest.Com[/ame]

Last edited:
R

ridethelip

I like the comment "practice". If you can turn and drag your hip left and right and leg drag both directions you will spend more time on your ski as you will be able to quickly make adjustments when you get out of shape.As much as someone would like to tell you how to do it there is learning curve that comes with body positioning, steering and throttle control through your experimentation.Copy the best riders good luck!

Top Bottom