Turning/Carving

hey, not to thread jack but i have a problem.i can drag my a$$ off the right or left side in turns and hold a good carve, but only half the time. i put my left foot forward, very far left/top of the tray, and my right foot in the very back right of the tray. i can lay some good carve, but half the time i go into a flatwater slide. im not sure what im doing wrong, im guessing that i have the bars turned too much, and i should lessen the degree of turn in the bars and just use throttle with my lean? just curious if anyone knows the soulution to this problem, i've only had the ski for about a week but have put a good 12-13 hours on it and am catching on quick.

Big Kahuna

Administrator
one thing I have learned after racing over the past 10 years. It does not matter if you are on a SJ or an SXR. Having a bouy as a turn point and another to use as a reference makes the biggest difference in the world.

Look at the bouy as you come into the turn, as you come past it, move your focus to the next bouy. Your head will control the way you do the rest of the turn. (This does work better on SXR's though) Depending on the turn, chopping the throttle to set the nose does help to get the ski ready to go into the turn. Power for snap turns and throttle control for all other turns.

Turning blind (a turn where you just turn) is actually pretty difficult without a focus point to choose from.

wydopen

onthepipe
hey, not to thread jack but i have a problem.i can drag my a$$ off the right or left side in turns and hold a good carve, but only half the time. i put my left foot forward, very far left/top of the tray, and my right foot in the very back right of the tray. i can lay some good carve, but half the time i go into a flatwater slide. im not sure what im doing wrong, im guessing that i have the bars turned too much, and i should lessen the degree of turn in the bars and just use throttle with my lean? just curious if anyone knows the soulution to this problem, i've only had the ski for about a week but have put a good 12-13 hours on it and am catching on quick.

drive through the turn with your back foot..its helps keep the pump hooked up

one thing I have learned after racing over the past 10 years. It does not matter if you are on a SJ or an SXR. Having a bouy as a turn point and another to use as a reference makes the biggest difference in the world.

Look at the bouy as you come into the turn, as you come past it, move your focus to the next bouy. Your head will control the way you do the rest of the turn. (This does work better on SXR's though) Depending on the turn, chopping the throttle to set the nose does help to get the ski ready to go into the turn. Power for snap turns and throttle control for all other turns.

Turning blind (a turn where you just turn) is actually pretty difficult without a focus point to choose from.

good points, a lot of times when I am just carving I will pick a spot on the water and imagine a buoy being there

drive through the turn with your back foot..its helps keep the pump hooked up

also good, driving the back foot down definitley helps keep the pump hooked which lets you lean over more and turn sharper. Thats where switching stance depending on the direction of turn really helps. Keep the back foot to the outside of the turn. It also helps when you want to throw a foot out and do some legdraggin

Last edited:
I think the best advice is "Practice"......The hard part is doing it when you have to. It's one thing to go out and carve around in open space, it's another to carve WFO turns in creeks or around buoys where you "must" turn at an exact point or else!

curt248

01 superjet 94 fx1 97 xp
My rn superjet seems to have a dip in the power at about 2 out of 10 on the throttle scale. It continues until about 3 then surges. It makes it a bit difficult to ride the edge of loosing hook up and powering through the carve. Has anyone else had this happen?

My fx-1 is smooth throughout the entire throttle. It has the same engine (701), but a single carb instead of a dual carb.

It also seems like it would be a bit dangerous to go in at throttle 7 and try to lean and turn sharply. I feel like one little mistake and something bad will happen really fast (kinda like catching an edge in snowboarding) like instant stopping of the ski and me flying into the ski or into the water.

How is this mastered? Any tips?

Last edited:

curt248

01 superjet 94 fx1 97 xp
fixed the carb problem. I just had to increase the low speed adjusters a bit more than 1/4 turn and all is well now.

What is the technique for carving from full throttle and speed like the racers do? It seems a bit dangerous to me.

Lucas

Surf Junkie
If you can get some buoys out on the water where you ride, One of the lakes out here has a small buoy course, I think it helped my riding a lot by giving me a reason to push my self some more in the turns. Before I knew it I was starting to carve pretty good through the corners, All you can do is start a bit slower and keep building up, If you fall oh well just a little water!

Top Bottom