SXR UK SXR Freeride Build

Sit

Hi all i am writing this from across the pond in the UK, recently bought an SXR after several failed relationships with Superjets!! Anyhow it was previously used in competition but has been stood for sometime and looked very sorry for itself when i collected it. After a couple of rides i kept having a problem with the pipe couplers so decided it was exhaust out time to sort the problem. Having taken engine, tank and exhaust out it seemed sensible to strip and rebuild now so here we go, its still work in progress and i have never stripped and rebuilt a ski before so any advice/pointers/tips would be most welcomed -

Started with this as a base -

image-2.jpg

image.jpg

And the stripping out began -

a518422d.jpg

89600499.jpg

Ski has carbon reinforced sides and fibreglass reinforcing to the bottom -

949cad97.jpg

97711998.jpg

Engine out and cleaned off as best as possible -

a85818c7.jpg

Monster pipe and waterbox, cant believe it fits in the ski its HUGE -

604af4aa.jpg

4a27b142.jpg

Carbs cleaned up in parts washer -

20b183cb.jpg

Started to strip off vinyl -

Before
b397fa15.jpg

fc1726f5.jpg

After
ff098a1c.jpg

cd49f3a5.jpg

Rail caps off, pig of a job! -

09ad95a0.jpg

674dba3e.jpg

Starting to look a lot better -

240ae758.jpg

15cb81ae.jpg

General clean up inside -

401c4764.jpg

a6525460.jpg

So i am cracking on as best i can with the time i have and really learning as i go along. The ski needs a new prop so some advice on what would be best for the surf would be most welcomed. Also planning to turf over the rail caps so any handy pointers on that would be great. As for colour, well heres a little idea -

b39a26fc.jpg

Will keep this updated and like i say please pass on the wisdom!!

Cheers

Si

Sit

Really - the whole pipe thing is new to me so I would be interested to know the differences between the two and how the wet pipe would be better suited?? Would it be a case of taking the dry pipe off and fitting the wet pipe straightnon or would there be other things that needed changing??

Also just been reading about cutting down the standard ride plate flush with ski so I am going to that as well, seems it's better for freeride.

Thanks sicksxr07.

Si

Ejake

straight cash homie
Grind off all the excess glue around the bond line in the motor compartment. It makes a mess but it's weight that can be removed. Use an aluminum tube in place of the heavy rubber exhaust tube.

Sit

Cheers eJake will do the glue thing for sure, doesn't affect structure of hull I take it?? As for exhaust it's an ali side exit number so no rubber hose running front to back.

Si

If your gonna turf over the rails....I suggest you smooth them out with some filler so It looks a little better and is smoother to put some padding under so you dont kill your elbows. Wet pipe is more reliable and gives your better low end.....I havent rode an SXR with a dry pipe but I am becoming a real fan of th WP.

Congrats on the ski. As mentioned above, .....definitely scrape out that glue on the bond line since you have everything out.....im guessing it may have already been done if its reinforced.

Sit

Titan - been reading some other posts about how to turf the rail caps, I assume this is what you mean?? I think I will have to come up with a way to fill and smooth them out. Was hoping to find a step-by-step post from someone so I could see how best to tackle it.

Do people use sheet turf to do tray and up and over sides??

Seriously considering selling the dry pipe now and trying to source a wet pipe, since the photos it's been mirror polished and looks stunning so shouldn't be any trouble selling it!

Si

Well, here is how I smoothed out the rails http://www.x-h2o.com/threads/74187-My-first-build-09-quot-SXR I think I cover a lot of the specifics from a noobs perspective.

Look in the how to thread on turfing.....there you will find all the little techniques as far as using heat and all the other little tips about turfing over the the rails and around the holds. My advice is just make templates measure twice cut once and take your time.

Buy one sheet of turf....it will be plenty. If you plan on doing the side rails too.....you will need another sheet as one sheet is just barely not enough.

You can wait it out and search for used WPs online but, they go so quick its difficult. Otherwise just search Factory Wet Pipe online find the cheapest way to get it to the UK.

Sit

Thanks for the link Titan that's really useful bud, what sort of filler did you use to smooth out the rails? Looks like a really neat job - if mine end up like that I will be over the moon!!! May have to find out who is going on holiday to the states I think, haven't managed to find a UK price yet.

Friend came back today so missed the boat there!!! Got to crack on with it though missing the water too much.

Si

You can use whatever multi-purpose all weather bondo you can find for the filler. Im sure you can go to any auto store there and pick some up. Pretty easy to smooth it out. Rest assured.....it can look like crap.....your gonna cover it anyway. Just dont be in hurry. I used paint thinner to get the glue off...it wasnt easy as Im sure your's will be harder since it isnt the stock glue.

Good luck! Keep us posted

If you can get that dry pipe running clean it will make better power than any dry pipe will.. I would run it.

As for the bondline glue in the hull... I would waste your time, i spent 8 hours doing 2 race boats we removed about 2lbs of glue from each of them... just go to the bathroom before you ride and you can save that much weight.

If you can get that dry pipe running clean it will make better power than any dry pipe will.. I would run it.

As for the bondline glue in the hull... I would waste your time, i spent 8 hours doing 2 race boats we removed about 2lbs of glue from each of them... just go to the bathroom before you ride and you can save that much weight.

Would this happen to be the crazy ass Ryan I partied with in Vegas? I notice...."gold coast/Ryan" bacon?

Sit

Well it's been steady progress this afternoon with regards to the glassing work, the time is spent waiting for it to cure so it can be sanded down. After destroying my rail caps trying to take them off and being quoted £571.00 PER SIDE I looked at my options which were all pretty expensive ones to be fair!! So after seeing a couple of lovely SXR's on here, I decided to smooth the rails out so come Hydro Turf time it will go up the side of the tray and roll nicely over the top and with the help of some 6mm (ish!) foam will meet up with this ski nicely - problem solved!

So couple of pics give you the idea -

9262f1c5.jpg

f41439ed.jpg

a6c34087.jpg

Hope to have this bit finished tomorrow.

Si

Sit

Been busy tonight with the paint stripper, started with a Kawi green AC pole which looked like this -

ff098a1c.jpg

And after a lot of elbow grease ended up with this -

ba17d8d0.jpg

ab6b5396.jpg

Quite pleased with results, although this isn't getting the 'Pipe Polisher' treatment so doesn't need to be 100% as it will be prime red up and painted fairly shortly.

Si

Sit

The pipe looks very sad for itself and being such a monstrous exhaust wasn't particularly conspicuous when the hood is removed!!! So I handed it to a friend who shall now be known only as 'The Pipe Polishing Man' and you will see why!!!

I handed him a very manky looking dry pipe which looked like this -

604af4aa.jpg

And he returned this -

:)
29e0d161.jpg

You could be forgiven for thinking this was a new pipe!!!!

Si

Top Bottom