Freestyle Urgent Pump help

Hey guys, ongoing problems with my build pump took forever to turn up then pressed it all together and the shaft was untrue, now got the new shaft got it pressed in and screwed on the impeller, tightened the impeller and looked through the rear of the pump (through the vanes) and the impeller is about an inch away from the hub, I cant remember but im sure that it is meant to sit close to the vanes with minimal clearence? Now when I try and loosen the impeller to remove it the impeller turns a quarter turn then stops and will not budge at all, like it has picked up a thread or something.

Anybody got an idea of a next step, im stumped on what to do next apart from cutting a brand new impeller!

OCD Solutions

Original, Clean and Dependable Solutions
I had the threads gall with a brand new Skat Setback Mag setup when I built my Matrix. I was only about 6 threads into in by hand when it bound up. After several hours of heating and twisting, I boxed it back up and sent it back to Skat where they cut off the shaft and impeller and replaced both on warranty.

I hated giving up on it but they reassured me by saying that there was no way I was ever going to get it off myself after that.

Last edited:

OCD Solutions

Sorry, I know it's not what you wanted to hear. Is there any chance you pressed it together wrong and the impeller is just bottomed out? What bearings did you use in it?

Last edited:

raytherace

Canadian Brapp Dealer
Awesome! just what I need, Its a maxx pump so Maybe I will have to talk to him again

Maxx is really a honest dude. He replaced me 2 setback driveshaft for 3 ( 1 in bonus) on the warranty. All his product is 1 year warranty. Never had issue since that. He told me that he changed of factory.

IMO Maxx = A+++

Last edited:

OCD Solutions

Sounds like he has a bit of a quality issue with the shafts. Makes me wonder if the issue is in the threading process or shipping them without the threads getting damaged in transport.?.?

raytherace

Canadian Brapp Dealer
Sounds like he has a bit of a quality issue with the shafts. Makes me wonder if the issue is in the threading process or shipping them without the threads getting damaged in transport.?.?

That was my first bob built when this happen, and realize that my midshaft was maybe a little bit press too much. I broke 2 shaft on my bob, and never break a shaft in the bob of my friend, both bob was built exactly the same (pump, midshaft, etc). I took no chance and un-press both midshaft at the right place. Maybe it was the problem maybe not. DK sr told me also that he did the pump insert a little bit closer to the front to make sure there is not cavitation issue with the pump seal. Maybe my mistake was to not pres-test the midshaft before riding the boat, maybe that was maxx the problem, and why the bob of my friend did not broke ?? We will never know the true at 100%, its why i accpet to pay 75$ of shipping for almost 1500$ of set back drive shaft !!

Last edited:

JetManiac

Stoked
Site Supporter
Vendor Account
Sounds like you got a different shaft than what pump is designed for or wrong width bearing on the front.

Yea I think the shaft thread is the problem, but both bearings were indentical and pressed in perfect. Sent an email of to maxx so hopefully will here from him soon, whats another couple of weeks on top of 5 months for this ski to be finished!

OCD Solutions

Since he sent you the bearings, they are most likely correct. I recently made a newbie move and rebuilt my mag using standard bearings for a non setback pump only to find that the setback mag uses one 5205 bearing which is a much wider double load bearing. It all fits together fine but the impeller ends up being spaced too far from the stator vanes and the fully assembled pump ends up being too long.

That being said, you would still be able to remove the impeller and disassemble the pump to correct the issue so my money is still on the galled threads. Sounds like Maxx is pretty good on the warranty so you are hopefully only out the time to get a new one and some shipping fees.

intresting about the bearing, he sent two 6205 koyo bearings so thats what I put in both times, that might answer the question about the first shaft that was untrue or bent but was also about an inch to long, I measured my original shaft and asked for that same length but setback, sounds like the problem was using the narrower bearing caused that extra inch in length, also found it strange how when both seals were fitted the were not flush with the hub.

just looking at specs on the 6205 bearing and the 5205 and there is only 5mm in the width so I think it counts for a bit but this impeller is still way out, will try get some pics up tomorrow.

OCD Solutions

5mm sounds about right if it was a bearing issue..here's a pic I snapped of mine before I pulled it apart.

aefe7c80-f36c-36c0.jpg

If its closer to an inch then I am wondering now if you are using a setback shaft in a non setback pump.?.?. The setback shaft is roughy an inch longer.

Here is a pic of what a setback shaft looks like compared to a non setback shaft. Pay attention to the width of the section that separates the bearings...

aefe7c80-f540-786b.jpg

Last edited:

waterfreak

I had a vision!
Site Supporter
Vendor Account
I just had to remove my Maxx pump when I noticed a wobble in the shaft. I could not believe that the shaft would bend so easily! I also noticed that the metal is very soft and does not look to be heat treated like the OEM's!

I sent him an e-mail about 3 days ago but I haven't gotten a reply has of yet

At least I found a good local machine shop that can re-spline and machine driveshafts :)

Top Bottom