Versiplug installation PICS...

Cannibal

Tasty Human
yeah that was a mistake on my end,it was my first one way and i totally should of made it lower, but its too late now.

and is that really a good looking one way? lol (or r u being sarcastic)

I think he's serious. That's a pretty clean install.

Making that pipe go under the mid-shaft would be a bit harder. You'd either have to heat and bend that pipe to make an upward sweeping curve, or have many elbows to get the job done. For simplicity sake, I'd probably just do it the way you have it. You are talking about like a 1/4" of water? If that bothers you, when taking off from that sub, just lean a little to the left and it'll put the water into that tube.

I think he's serious. That's a pretty clean install.

Making that pipe go under the mid-shaft would be a bit harder. You'd either have to heat and bend that pipe to make an upward sweeping curve, or have many elbows to get the job done. For simplicity sake, I'd probably just do it the way you have it. You are talking about like a 1/4" of water? If that bothers you, when taking off from that sub, just lean a little to the left and it'll put the water into that tube.

I was serious. Looks good!
As for the pickup, I suppose all you would gain is about 1/4" lower which is no big deal.
I have to do this project next using a Versiplug Max. It's not here yet but I assume it's designed to fit inside a 2" pvc pipe??

kraqus

Site Supporter

I spent 3 hours today "finigaling" with the PVC pipe trying to make it to the other side.....

IMG_1464.jpg

And finally made it thorough.....

IMG_1465.jpg

Pretty tight in there that is for sure.
Tomorrow I will finish it....Hopefully!

Benny

kraqus

Site Supporter
Here is what I had in mind and set out to do.

Now you see it:

IMG_1476.jpg

Now you don't :

IMG_1475.jpg

NOT that I don't trust this bailing system but I wanted to place the Versiplug a bit inwards as to avoid head on Arse impacts. I saw someone in the forum do something like this without the Versiplug and I though it would also be a great idea.....

Benny

kraqus

Site Supporter
But like everything else, it was not a perfect fit.
I need your opinions and what would you do and why sort of thing.

If looked at an angle you can see that the fitting is not aligned straight with the hull:

IMG_1473.jpg

Here, a closer look (see the ant? LOL!):

IMG_1474.jpg

If I push the pipe in some more as to make it even on that side of the hull, then I get the other side to mismatch....

IMG_1483.jpg

Here, another close shot. That is not edited with effects, I used a flash light as it was getting dark and the camera's flash was way to bright and you could not see it in detail. You can see the foam on the right side.

IMG_1482.jpg

So here is my dilemma.
If I cut the pipe to match the hull in the first set of pictures, I would be cutting into the tread thus rendering my whole project useless.

If I push the pipe inside some more then I will have to patch the foam and reinforced that area more.

What if I just leave it as is (first set of pics) and leave it sticking out a bit and reinforced all around. I kind of like the fact that the Pipe is actually making contact with the hull and there is a solid connection, but it does not look too good....not that I really care about looks on my ski too much but......you know.

Care to comment?

Benny

madscientist

chilling with these guys.
slide the pipe out and rough it up, coat with epoxy and 404, push it in to place turng it at the same time ( this will get the epoxy in to the hull and foam,), smooth out the residual that oozes out, once cured sand to a nice finish and go ride.

FyrHazard

Ski Eat Sleep Repeat
How about a Stainless beauty ring of some type? Either protruding inside or making it pretty where it sticks out? There are a couple scupper threads where guys were taking sink drain rings or something... You could seal all around them.

Otherwise it really doesn't look too bad sticking out.

kraqus

Site Supporter
Great points.

"Peanut butter" sounds good.
I was also thinking about reinforcing the area where you see foam with small strands of glass then applying Marine Tex to cover the whole thing and give it a nice finishing white look that blends with the Hull.

Sink rings?
I will have to look into that. Did not think about that to be honest.

Benny

Cannibal

Tasty Human
If you push it out and cut it off, it still looks like there will be enough threads to thread the plug into, no?

Also, you could get rid of the threaded section all together and use one of those expanding pipe plugs.

Lookin good so far though.

Steve

kraqus

Site Supporter
Yeah there will be treads left but the plug will be sticking out then on the side.
Expanding plugs? I have not seen those but I will investigate.
I would like to keep the current set up if possible.
Thanks Steve....

stanton

High on jetskis.
"Peanut butter" sounds good.
I was also thinking about reinforcing the area where you see foam with small strands of glass then applying Marine Tex to cover the whole thing and give it a nice finishing white look that blends with the Hull.
thats what i was thinking, put filler around on all the foam then put a piece of fiberglass on top of the filler wet it out, slide the pipe in on the wet epoxy/fiberglass. mix up filler and chopped strand with white dye, fill around tube and smooth out, let cure, trim and sand. or with no dye, let cure, trim and sand the overlap, then add marinetex.

This is probably too late, but could you not just heat up and kink the whole tube somewhere in the middle to make the rear sealing angle match? Up front you just cut it off flush anyway.

Is it finished already? Lets see it.
I like the plug option idea you did!

Last edited:

kraqus

Site Supporter
It's not finished yet. I switch to my SN project (RN pole conversion) this past weekend. I was letting this marinate for a couple of days before I attempt to complete the installation. The idea you suggest is great but coming from the back it would be a bitch IMO. But I have left over pipe and i will see how it reacts to heat, perhaps I can get that one inch that is bothering bent.....

benny

kraqus

Site Supporter
It's been 2 months since I worked on this.
I finally sealed the pipe on the inside using 5200

P1000075.jpg

I covered the surrounding area with tape and went to work

P1000073.jpg

What you see in the picture is VERY thick "peanut butter" with lots of fiberglass strands. I made sure I added plenty of it before I inserted the PVC pipe and then I added some more on the outside.... It cured like a ROCK, so much it was even tough to sand but I smooth most of it out.

P1000079.jpg

I had some of the 5200 left over so I added a layer on the outside just for looks, this thing is waterproof for sure.....

P1000080.jpg

I hated working with 5200...seriously. Next time I will get the fast cure one. This thing was leaking all over the place when I was doing the inside of the pipe. I let it sit for 2 DAYS so that it would get tacky enough to apply on the outside without leaking.....

My Pig still getting reinforced, then it's the engine.....it won't see water until next year probably....

.........early January that is !!!!

Benny

Last edited:
Top Bottom