Vibration @ 2300rpm???

I am having the same issues with my FX-1. Seems to vibrate up to about half throttle, then smooths out. What about pump alignment?

And why check couplers with rubber out?

750SX

DO IT
I think they all shake at idle or just above. Mine has a certain t/p where it shakes as well. I think if your alignment would be off, it would shake throughout the rpm range and not in just one throttle position. My hull was brand new, with two zero's behind the pump mounting holes, and 3 around the midshaft holes. I only shimmed the motor with the coupler in, but it could be moved in and out freely so I know it was not pushing on the midshaft in any way. The manual says you are allowed a .4 or .5 mm gap when checking from coupler to coupler. I belive that is very obtainable.

I am having the same issues with my FX-1. Seems to vibrate up to about half throttle, then smooths out. What about pump alignment?

And why check couplers with rubber out?

the rubber biscuit "forces" alignment. if the pto coupler is higher or lower than the midshaft coupler, the rubber piece with force the midshaft up or down to meet with the engine.

the couplers should be even without the rubber piece. this is the only real way to know if youre aligned properly.

if theyre aligned w/o the rubber, theyll be aligned with the rubber.

if theyre aligned with the rubber, theyre not necessarily aligned w/o it.

the rubber biscuit "forces" alignment. if the pto coupler is higher or lower than the midshaft coupler, the rubber piece with force the midshaft up or down to meet with the engine.

the couplers should be even without the rubber piece. this is the only real way to know if youre aligned properly.

if theyre aligned w/o the rubber, theyll be aligned with the rubber.

if theyre aligned with the rubber, theyre not necessarily aligned w/o it.

Thanks, thats a great explanation. Only thing is.....Now I gotta take that freakin B-pipe off again....AAAARRRRRGHGGGGHHHH.

I am also not putting the shim that goes on the lower bolt of the midshaft housing. The pump already needs to be shimmed down in the back.

Question: If you dont use sealant between the midshaft housing and the bulkhead, can that cause cavitation? therefore a vibration?

Oz

Crab

thanks darin...noswad!
Thanks, thats a great explanation. Only thing is.....Now I gotta take that freakin B-pipe off again....AAAARRRRRGHGGGGHHHH.

I am also not putting the shim that goes on the lower bolt of the midshaft housing. The pump already needs to be shimmed down in the back.

Question: If you dont use sealant between the midshaft housing and the bulkhead, can that cause cavitation? therefore a vibration?

Oz
Hey Ozzy, you know of course that Tanner will now be hitting you up for Yami help and advise, I think we turned him to the dark side over the weekend.:scared: Carry on.....

The low rpm vibration you describe is normal on all two cylinder skis. They all do it, 650s are much smoother than 701-760s in this range. 81-84mm pistons weigh around 30% more than 77mm pistons do, the crank was designed for a 650. Pumps can also vibrate a lot but only under power.

The low rpm vibration you describe is normal on all two cylinder skis. They all do it, 650s are much smoother than 701-760s in this range. 81-84mm pistons weigh around 30% more than 77mm pistons do, the crank was designed for a 650. Pumps can also vibrate a lot but only under power.

I have a FX-1 stocker as well, and have basically zero vibes. Something is outta whack on the mod.

Hey Ozzy, you know of course that Tanner will now be hitting you up for Yami help and advise, I think we turned him to the dark side over the weekend.:scared: Carry on.....

About time he comes to his senses. Hey nothing wrong with that old school vintage crap, but its time to get the heck with it and fork out for an SJ. Thats where the real fun is.
My girlfriends son just got the SN SJ I found for him down there. Has a Protec pipe and head, plate, scoopy and AL pole. He's stoked.

I have a FX-1 stocker as well, and have basically zero vibes. Something is outta whack on the mod.

I am right there with you. Something just doesn't seem right, but I don't know what or really where to look. I know it's not engine alignment. Mine wasn't aligned very well when I checked it but after aligning it without the couplers and putting everything back together the vibration is still there.

I don't want to just ride it and hope nothing happens. Hopefully we can get this thing figured out!

Top Bottom