Other Want to test some new board software that we're looking at for the X?

I'm a web designer/programmer... Stay with the old one. Every one knows how to navigate this current layout already. If you are looking for a change just spruce up your current design.

SuperJETT

So long and thanks for all the fish
I'm a web designer/programmer... Sta with the old one. Every one knows how to navigate this current layout already. If you are looking for a change just spruce up your current design.

Hence my comment above, how vbulletin has destroyed the template system making it where you can pretty much just change colors/minor graphics, no layout changes like before, so all the good designers are moving on to IPB, SMF, etc. There is more to it too.

+1 SMF

I have a smidgen of experience administrating an smf forum and really love the themes by dzinerstudio, especially the outline theme after some tweaking, for example my forum www.therenewablewatt.com/forum after editing the theme pictures and scaling percentages it looks nearly professional. I also now understand why there is a decaying building in the bottom right corner of this forum, you haven't cared to change it...

Props on the progress.

Waternut

Customizing addict
I like the new design so far. Like others have said, regardless of how it looks, we'll still use it. The only difference is if it's super difficult to use or requires too much effort, we may use it less frequently but it doesn't look anywhere near that bad. I really like the new search function. The old search function just wasn't user friendly and it was impossible to search for multiple words with any kind of success.

A couple nit picky things that I noticed. I couldn't find the PM count anywhere. Also, one of the reasons I always stayed with the boring blue theme was because it was obvious which threads I've posted in since it's a green arrow coming off a light blue or light red box. With all the new themes, it's a little tan box in the corner or another little tan box and depending on how popular the thread is, could be stacked on yet another little tan box. It's easy to overlook it because it all blends together. That's always been my biggest beef with every new theme.

SuperJETT

Great feedback, that's the kind of stuff that I need to hear. Everyone uses the site differently.

DangerBoy

Runs with scissors
Site Supporter
I like it , the only request I have is for a "whats new" button on the landing page that shows up without having to log in (like on this site)
Go with whats best for you , everyone will bitch for a week and than get over it
Db

Hence my comment above, how vbulletin has destroyed the template system making it where you can pretty much just change colors/minor graphics, no layout changes like before, so all the good designers are moving on to IPB, SMF, etc. There is more to it too.

Sorry I didn't see your previous posts about what vbulletin has done with their update. You should choose what best fits your technical skill level and is easy for you to maintain even if it means people have to re-learn how to use the site a little bit.

I build web applications like vbulletin, shopping carts, ebay... I would stick with this version and dive straight into the code. Instead of updating your entire site, I would just go through the vbulletin developer logs, add any security updates, and apply only the features I want... Going to the code may be less of a headache than trying to migrate all of your existing database information over into a new system, which can also cause some integrity issues.

SuperJETT

I guess you also skipped the fact that I already imported our database into SMF and have it running/live with no real problems/issues? Your approach leaves us exactly where we are, with a semi functional template system and no new features, and cause future integrity issues.

Tyler Zane

Open Your Eyes
so i spent some more time on it today and i do like how the inbox is set up. you can browse them all without clicking on each and everyone.

one thing that i like about the current site is i can click settings at the top right corner and see if there are new post in subscribed threads and forums. is there a way to do this on the new site?

the penguin also made a good point. if it makes it easier on superjett and the rest of the moderators thats more than enough reason to move on.

Last edited:

WFO Speedracer

A lifetime ban is like a lifetime warranty !
I like the new design so far. Like others have said, regardless of how it looks, we'll still use it. The only difference is if it's super difficult to use or requires too much effort, we may use it less frequently but it doesn't look anywhere near that bad. I really like the new search function. The old search function just wasn't user friendly and it was impossible to search for multiple words with any kind of success.

A couple nit picky things that I noticed. I couldn't find the PM count anywhere. Also, one of the reasons I always stayed with the boring blue theme was because it was obvious which threads I've posted in since it's a green arrow coming off a light blue or light red box. With all the new themes, it's a little tan box in the corner or another little tan box and depending on how popular the thread is, could be stacked on yet another little tan box. It's easy to overlook it because it all blends together. That's always been my biggest beef with every new theme.

+1 on the search feature on this forum, presently its damn near useless

Top Bottom