watcon hood seal

Crab

thanks darin...noswad!
scrape out all the old gunk and glue, clean with solvent, just peel and stick, lock the hood down overnight good and tite.

Mark Gomez

is where the surf is
I just put my Watcon hood seal to the test this weekend and my god with a brap strap sinching it down this thing is awesome! It took more time to clean the old seal and glue off than it did to install. I also razor cut the entire hood seal down the middle all the way around acting as a double lip on both sides of the hood. doesnt look as pretty as it did not being cut but it works KILLER! I have no idea why i didnt do this sooner its so damn easy and works so well.

I just installed mine on my squarenose but I think I may have biffed the job. It has not been water tested yet so I cant be absolutely positive. I know for sure its good to go on the tray side and up the left and right sides of the ski because the seal sits perectly in the middle of the channel. I worry about the forward part of the channel below the handle pole bracket though because it is about a half inch wider. I installed the seal at the most forward edge in the channel and it appears that the lip of the hood may not be making any contact with the seal up front. After I let the hood sit on it over night I could see an even compression mark on the tray side and up the sides. Not so much up front though. What are yalls thoughts? I dont want a weak seal but if I pull this stuff up, I know I will probably tear it making my brand new seal completely useless. I weldwooded it too, so I am probably :):):):) outta luck gettin it up....

FlightPlanDan

Don'tTrustAfartAfter50
I just installed mine on my squarenose but I think I may have biffed the job. It has not been water tested yet so I cant be absolutely positive. I know for sure its good to go on the tray side and up the left and right sides of the ski because the seal sits perectly in the middle of the channel. I worry about the forward part of the channel below the handle pole bracket though because it is about a half inch wider. I installed the seal at the most forward edge in the channel and it appears that the lip of the hood may not be making any contact with the seal up front. After I let the hood sit on it over night I could see an even compression mark on the tray side and up the sides. Not so much up front though. What are yalls thoughts? I dont want a weak seal but if I pull this stuff up, I know I will probably tear it making my brand new seal completely useless. I weldwooded it too, so I am probably :):):):) outta luck gettin it up....
If the seal is in the groove..and not making contact up front...check your hood hooks. Mine had bent/loosened over time. It was a bit different placing the hood on for a while. But no matter what seal you put in there, there should be not just contact, but pressure as you button up the hood.
Not familiar with sn's that much. But the product shoud lay in the channel as the oem did.

Last edited:

FlightPlanDan

Don'tTrustAfartAfter50
What hood seal do I order? I just see one for the Octane on watcon.com, or is it a long seal I just cut down?

I'm sure you can call Randy to know for sure. But, I ordered 2 and got one long piece of material. There was more than enough to do 2 ski's.

On the Watcon site....(upper right) look for "Octane hood seal". (just "hood seal" won't get you there)

Last edited:
If the seal is in the groove..and not making contact up front...check your hood hooks. Mine had bent/loosened over time. It was a bit different placing the hood on for a while. But no matter what seal you put in there, there should be not just contact, but pressure as you button up the hood.
Not familiar with sn's that much. But the product shoud lay in the channel as the oem did.

Actually, my hood was a royal pain to get on and off without a seal in place and i was also chipping new paint off up front. Now its easier to unhook but it does lock down tight with pressure as I lock hood in place and paint dont chip off no more. I was just wondering if the front was actually being sealed down because I see where its only touching the very rear part of the seal up in the front of the ski.

Bluffskier:
The hood seal is for an octane, but it replaces the seal for round and squarenoses just the same. Just make sure to place the seal in the correct part of the channel in the front of your square or you will have issues like I do.

FlightPlanDan

Don'tTrustAfartAfter50
Actually, my hood was a royal pain to get on and off without a seal in place and i was also chipping new paint off up front. Now its easier to unhook but it does lock down tight with pressure as I lock hood in place and paint dont chip off no more. I was just wondering if the front was actually being sealed down because I see where its only touching the very rear part of the seal up in the front of the ski.

Bluffskier:
The hood seal is for an octane, but it replaces the seal for round and squarenoses just the same. Just make sure to place the seal in the correct part of the channel in the front of your square or you will have issues like I do.

Check Randy's installation instructions in the thread linked to post 24. There is something about a cut up front. But a call to him would be most productive if you're having issues.

not to thread jack but i figured i would since its a older thread.

if you guys dont use the adhesive strip on your seals how do you go about putting weldwood int there.
would it work to only coat one surface, place the seal in the channel while its still wet, put the hood on, and let it dry. i guess i dont know how well the cement will grab if its still wet. i want to do it wet so i can drop the hood on and let the preasure put the seal in place.
any thoughts?

and the watcom seal works great on my blaster.

I reccommend a coat of Weldwood contact cment (available at Home Depot) in the channel & on the seal. Have somebody help you hold the seal and apply adhesive with a paintbrush. Normally I would let it "tack up" for a while, but just drop it into place. You wont be able to move / adjust it so get it right the first time...

Put the seam at the front or rear of the hood, not in the sides..
Thanks for the positive response!

Randy

Dmac80sc

Site Supporter
Any one use this and have a WDK hood? I isntalled my seal but my hood doesnt seem to seal up right.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Top Bottom