Water Seperating Funnels by Mr. Funnel

OCD Solutions

Original, Clean and Dependable Solutions
After watching several people deal with sunk skis and water in their tanks and lines I figured it was time to revisit this product I discovered a few years ago.

It is a funnel with a fine mesh screen that passes fuel but not water. Yes, it is that simple. If you dump a bottle of water into the funnel it will not pass a single drop. Made by Mr. Funnel, i feel it is a must have for anybody that has anything that runs diesel or petroleum fuels.

http://www.mrfunnel.com/Mr._Funnel/Models.html

I bought the smallest unit, the F1 for $30 (cdn) and it is perfect for everything I do with it except maybe filling my tidy tank at a bulk station, You'd want the 5gpm unit for that job.

I originally got mine when I was getting 2-3 barrels of AV gas every season for free. I got the drums for free because they were opened and might contain water so the fuel companies would cycle the stock out from remote airstrips to keep everything fresh and safe. I processed 3 barrels one day and removed over 8 gallons of water. From that point on I ran all my fuel through it, including the diesel for my truck.

This weekend I watched at least 4 guys trying to get water out of their tanks, with one of these funnels it would be a one step deal and you would not waste any fuel.

Anybody wants a demo I can bring it down to the next ride.

Last edited:

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
Easy way to get water out of the tank without tools:

1. Disconnect return line from carbs.and reserve pickup line from carb/fuel filter.
2. Pinch regular pickup line.
3. Make sure the tank is otherwise closed
4. Wait for water & gas to seperate.
5. Blow into the return line to pressurize the tank
6. Watch the water come out the reserve line

stanton

High on jetskis.
Easy way to get water out of the tank without tools:

1. Disconnect return line from carbs.and reserve pickup line from carb/fuel filter.
2. Pinch regular pickup line.
3. Make sure the tank is otherwise closed
4. Wait for water & gas to seperate.
5. Blow into the return line to pressurize the tank
6. Watch the water come out the reserve line
doesnt water go to the bottom of the tank though?

OCD Solutions

My way;
1) Siphon fuel/water from tank into jerry can thru Mr Filter.
2) pour fuel back into tank.

P.S. I watched a guy siphon out his tank this weekend and then mixed them up and dumped the contaminated fuel back in the next day. We need to keep this as simple as we can. ;)

Last edited:

OCD Solutions

Have you ever checked the gas at a fuel station? I am curious now if or how much water gas comes with...

Our local Diesel fuel was very questionable during the winter so I started filling my 400 litre Tidy Tank thru the Funnel and then filling the truck thru a second debris/water filter from my tank.

Sometimes i'd get no water, other times I had to dump the funnel once, so maybe 1/4 to 1/2 litre of water for 400 litres of fuel. It took alot longer to fill but Diesels in our area were failing injectors left and right so it was worth the extra precautions.

OCD Solutions

In an offline conversation it was brought up about straining mixed fuels and what effect it would have on the strainer and it's effectiveness. Here is what the site FAQ's says about it;

Q. Will the filter work on mixed fuel with 2-cycle oil in it?

A. Yes, but if your 2-cycle oil has a detergent base the detergents can break down molecules of water and some water might pass the screen. Usually only a drop or two but if you are concerned, filter the fuel a second time because unless the sump is full of water, it is not possible that any water passed the filter.

WRX Dave

Freestyle poser
We use these where I teach flying lessons. Our planes are modified to run on auto fuel, so we run it through the funnels to ensure there's no water in it. Every now and then we find a trace amount, but not enough to be a problem for the separator on the ski.

Top Bottom