Super Jet Waterbox or carb adjustment..?

lazyt747

Cool Beanz
Recently finished my SN build. Having a few issues but confused on whether it is in need of a carb adjustment or a new waterbox.

The engine is as follows:

705 bore on a 61x cylinder block
ADA 35 cc head (~180 PSI)
Factory Mod B-pipe
Stock 38 62t carbs
- Needle/seat 1.5
- Hi 135
- Lo 75

Unfortunately I don't have anything to test pop off pressure of the carbs so tuning is a real pain. Recently when I took the ski out it seemed to run great at idle but once I hammered on it for a while followed by an immediate release of the throttle, the skis exhaust would sound bubbly and would have a terrible throttle response. Once I chomped the throttle on and off a handful of times it would seem to clear it out, but some times takes longer than others.

I have read a few articles on carb tuning for the 701 engine but I am still very fuzzy on it - I am having a difficult time telling whether it is running rich or lean on the hi's. I also read that it could be the result of a bad waterbox causing the hesitation and the need to blow out the water rushed back inside of it. My goal is to get this thing running as reliable and best tuned as possible (as any builder). I just do not want to hurt my fresh engine due to lack of tuning skills.

I was told to set the Hi at 1.5 turns out, Lo at 1, and start from there. How do the hi's and lo's work? Is it the more you turn them out the richer it becomes or vice versa? Anyone have any experience on this issue? Thanks a ton for any advice.

JT

lazyt747

Cool Beanz
Recently. Took them apart and everything looked pretty fresh, looks like it was done with the freshening of the engine. Wouldn't mind upgrading if someone had a nice set laying around for a good price.

lazyt747

Cool Beanz
Everything looks to be clean. I am just wondering if it has to do with the hi adjustments or a damaged waterbox.

lazyt747

Cool Beanz
Ttt

I have the lo at 1 on both carbs. I put the hi at 1.5 on each and the ski would bog out when I smashed the throttle. Put them at 1 now and it still feels a bit off. Hmmmm..

Crab

thanks darin...noswad!
Crank the highs in more then, slowly to see if its correcting the problem but don't stay full throttle too long...

lazyt747

Cool Beanz
I was just worried about leaning it out too much causing something to fry. Thanks for the info Crab, much appreciated.

Like I said before I turned the Hi's to 1 turn out. After I posted up I took it out for a spin, it's still off. When I hammer on the gas it takes roughly a second or two to react and accelerate. Whenever I slow down and hammer it down it does the same thing - crappy throttle response.

I am going to check out that link you posted and see what I can do. Hopefully throw it in the water again tomorrow and try to correct the issue.

madscientist

chilling with these guys.
i had a similar prob.. then turned the highs in to 1/2 turn and bam!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! power.. rods surf that day and then flat tested some the next am to find i was only a 1/16 of a turn off form a good burn..

Top Bottom