waterbox questions

accbr

addicted
I just tore the squarenose apart to reinforce the hull. Looks like the previous owner patched the waterbox at one time with bondo. I didn't realize how much those things weighed either. I'm thinking about swapping in an aftermarket box. Anybody know how much a TDR waterbox weighs? Has anyone ever made their own?

accbr

addicted
Good to know. My friends 750SX doesn't have a waterbox, and it's really loud when he jumps out of the water. I'd forgot about FP. Not bad for $80. Do you lose any weight with the FP box. I know the XM boxes are 2lbs, but they cost too much for me.

demolition_x

Not After Fame & Fortune
i got an aluminum waterbox off ebay.

i think it was 60 bucks shipped. it was lighter than the stock one and had no baffles so it was a little louder but not obnoxious.

the guy i bought it from doesn't have any listed, his name was sweetemos.

Last edited:

accbr

addicted
i got an aluminum waterbox off ebay.

i think it was 60 bucks shipped. it was lighter than the stock one and had no baffles so it was a little louder but not obnoxious.

the guy i bought it from doesn't have any listed, his name was sweetemos.

I've been watchin ebay, but haven't seen any recently. What kind did you get?

demolition_x

Not After Fame & Fortune
well its suppose to be pjs. but there were no markings on it.

leg drag has the same one i have.

DSCN1636.JPG

http://www.legdrag.com/index.php?ma...id=137&zenid=91caafac9060accaac65e40da27d6c12

WAB

salty nuts
I just tore the squarenose apart to reinforce the hull. Looks like the previous owner patched the waterbox at one time with bondo. I didn't realize how much those things weighed either. I'm thinking about swapping in an aftermarket box. Anybody know how much a TDR waterbox weighs? Has anyone ever made their own?

You could maybe sand/grind off the bondo and repair it the right way with epoxy resin & glass. I have also heard that the B pipe likes the backpressure of the OEM waterboxes better than Aftermarket ones.
If you can find a used stock waterbox from a roundnose, they are all alum and much lighter than the glass squarenose ones.

D Slicker

Durham, dont forget it
Since we are on waterbox's I am getting an X-metal for my square and is the front exhaust worth it or am I wasting money. I ride 90% surf.

yamanube

This Is The Way
Staff member
I also had a couple questions on the waterbox topic. I am going to be running a girdled head and a protec pipe next year and was looking at an aftermarket waterbox for my '06. Will I get any increase in HP from it or reduction in weight or is it a pointless mod?

accbr

addicted
You could maybe sand/grind off the bondo and repair it the right way with epoxy resin & glass. I have also heard that the B pipe likes the backpressure of the OEM waterboxes better than Aftermarket ones.
If you can find a used stock waterbox from a roundnose, they are all alum and much lighter than the glass squarenose ones.

I'll just wrap some glass around the stock one if I can't find another one. I took it out to reinforce the hull, so I may throw some on there while I have the resin mixed anyway. I just missed a roundnose box on ebay last night. I didn't know they were that much lighter.

Last edited:

crammit442

makin' legs
I also had a couple questions on the waterbox topic. I am going to be running a girdled head and a protec pipe next year and was looking at an aftermarket waterbox for my '06. Will I get any increase in HP from it or reduction in weight or is it a pointless mod?

Pointless mod. Louder, probably makes less power(definately not more power), and is not significantly lighter. If you asked this same question about a 550, everyone that recommends the x-metal waterbox would tell you not to get it.:rolleyes:

Charles

It seems there is a consistency problem with the x-metal boxes. Some are abnoxious, some are loud, some are not that loud. All I know is you can hear mine from 1/4 mile away. Sounds like a cr250. Sounds good to some people others say it is annoying. It is all preference. I just hate how I can't ever talk to anyone while riding.

Top Bottom