WCF top deck conversion

DannyF

sj3.jpg

sj2.jpg

sj1.jpg

got this hull but its ugly so conversion it is .the hull itself is in bad shape it has a small hole it the front fixed with bondo the corner was hit and has some horrible repair done to it and the previous owners screwed the bilge pump to the hull and theres a screw sticking out the bottom we got this hull from surfjetlouie for $100 and sold the hood for $50 so i dont have to much money in the bottom we should start splitting the hull tommorow we would have started today but the airsaw we bought today doesnt work sorry no pics of the topdeck there on my phone and the top is in my uncles warehouse (dont want mom to see just yet and when she does it only cost $300:sneaky:)

Last edited:

DannyF

splitting hull

P1010716.jpg

P1010719.jpg

P1010721.jpg

P1010720.jpg

P1010722.jpg

started to split the hull today even though it was raining i got alot of it done
also got my hood today in the mail i wont be using a wcf hood cant afford it:banghead: ill be using a modified stock hood the really fxcked up one that was on ebay
ill get pics of the topdeck soon

sjetrider

615 Freeriders are addicted to T1 madness.
Couldnt you have bought an entire RN hull for price of the WCF TOP DECK? What will you accomplish other than experience from this workload? The WCF top deck weighs the same as an OEM topdeck and looks damn near the same too ???? Am I missing something, a bottom deck conversion would seem more feesable to me as it is where the weight savings can be made by using fiber glass vrs. molded heavy SMC. Someone please school me here:dunno:

meatball

User Title Unavailable
I was under the impression that along with aesthetics and a unique hull, you lose weight and gain strength. Pole pivot mount changes as well I think

sjetrider

615 Freeriders are addicted to T1 madness.
I was under the impression that along with aesthetics and a unique hull, you lose weight and gain strength. Pole pivot mount changes as well I think

I have seen one of these top decks and the strenght is no diffent then an OEM and the only difference I saw in shape or size or anything else was the sxr swoop in tray sides. The pole mounting area looked identical to me. There is no weight loss as both decks are made of polyester and fiberglass unless he boughta prepreg or CF topdeck and still gains would be minimal. He is able to access the tray area and run different exhaust / waterlines and scupper work easier, but you can much more easily cut the tray out of a RN hull and reglass it in IMO.
Again I aint bashing, just can figure this out the only gaine is the SXR tray sides?????

DannyF

oem rn hulls are really hard to find and everone wants alot of money for them the cheapest i found was 800 but it was in havasu and it was not complete(no hood pole ect.) the topdeck only weighs about 40-45 lbs and is alot stronger being hand laid glass besides i like the work and expierience. now that schools out i need something to do during the week. steve said this hull when its complete and reinforced will way in under 100 lbs

meatball

User Title Unavailable
I have seen one of these top decks and the strenght is no diffent then an OEM and the only difference I saw in shape or size or anything else was the sxr swoop in tray sides. The pole mounting area looked identical to me. There is no weight loss as both decks are made of polyester and fiberglass unless he boughta prepreg or CF topdeck and still gains would be minimal. He is able to access the tray area and run different exhaust / waterlines and scupper work easier, but you can much more easily cut the tray out of a RN hull and reglass it in IMO.
Again I aint bashing, just can figure this out the only gaine is the SXR tray sides?????

SN are metton and weak as hell. I can flex my topdeck everywhere I touch (especially the lip) on my unreinforced hull. Im quite sure a handlaid glass topdeck would be significantly stronger, at least where it needs be (like the lip and pole mount). I'm speaking from hearsay however.

Mile9c1

X-H2O.com
He must have been comparing only roundnose hulls. I don't think it'll gain much either but it's a great way to get the foam out and do a lot of other cool stuff while it's open :biggthumpup:

hell yah, you make the ski your own when you do all the work. im actually doing the same as you with the wcf topdeck square conversion, go luck and lets see some picks.

goodq

x-h2o browser
oem rn hulls are really hard to find and everone wants alot of money for them the cheapest i found was 800 but it was in havasu and it was not complete(no hood pole ect.) the topdeck only weighs about 40-45 lbs and is alot stronger being hand laid glass besides i like the work and expierience. now that schools out i need something to do during the week. steve said this hull when its complete and reinforced will way in under 100 lbs

True, about the weight reduction. Freestylegeek did it on his ski.

After installing the top deck Freestylegeek got from XFT the ski weighed (after all inforcements + foaming) 88 lb compared to stock reinforced skies that come out to be 110+ after reinforcement.

Look at this post tells you all about it.

butti

lone wolf
True, about the weight reduction. Freestylegeek did it on his ski.

After installing the top deck Freestylegeek got from XFT the ski weighed (after all inforcements + foaming) 88 lb compared to stock reinforced skies that come out to be 110+ after reinforcement.

Look at this post tells you all about it.

geek used a VERY light topdeck

G

Goose

you gain alot of strenght over a oem topdeck from the get go.also their is alot of options you have the ability to do while the topdeck is off

waterfreak

I had a vision!
Site Supporter
Vendor Account
the top deck kurrup got was the last one I laid up with polyester resin. the new ones are all vynil ester resin and are lighter and stronger than the previous ones. The next one I have layed up , I will post the weight . Regardless, you can't lose when you totally re-foam and re-seal the entire hull from the beginnning and customize it to make it your own!

waterfreak

I had a vision!
Site Supporter
Vendor Account
Couldnt you have bought an entire RN hull for price of the WCF TOP DECK? What will you accomplish other than experience from this workload? The WCF top deck weighs the same as an OEM topdeck and looks damn near the same too ???? Am I missing something, a bottom deck conversion would seem more feesable to me as it is where the weight savings can be made by using fiber glass vrs. molded heavy SMC. Someone please school me here:dunno:

look at freestyle geeks conversion!:rolleyes:He did save quite a bit of weight and got to really know his hull inside and out. Why did you order your WD hull without beeing bonded together? Maybe because you wanted to make it your own!

I think that a conversion is a great experience in boat building. It gives you a great sense of accomplishements and knowledge that you put your own boat together from the start:biggthumpup:

DannyF

just picked up some fiber glass today were gonna patchup some holes and build up the nose soon and get the two halves to become one

Top Bottom