Weak spark

pope91rs

Site Supporter
I have searched my problem. Most people say the problem is with the stator. I have tried two different stators and two different cdis, the spark remains thin and weak (yellow/blue). All the parts I have tried are used. I have also tried a different coil, I cut back the plug leads and tried NGK plug boots nothing seems to change the spark quality. This is not my ski trying to help a teenage boy get into stand-ups. He is short on cash so I'm trying not to just throw new electrical parts on trying to chase a problem. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

I wonder if a corroded wire/connection could cause this.

Have you measured the earth connection from the battery to the CDI for excessive resistance?

Quinc

Buy a Superjet
You can start by making sure the connections on your ground wire are clean and tight. Also make sure that there is no rub spots. You can find and download the manual either here or on pwc, it should tell you specifics on testing the resistance.

You'll need a multimeter set on the lowest resistance range, you're expecting a value of less than 1 Ohm.

First put the probes together and take note of the reading. This reading should be very low, probably just a fraction of an Ohm. It represents the resistance of the test probes as well as any inherent inaccuracy of your particular multimeter. Take mental note because you should subtract it from the next measurement.

The CDI gets it's earth via the stator wiring which runs from the fly wheel housing to the CDI box. The whole earth path goes like this. Battery negative>block>stator wiring>CDI.

Measure from battery negative to a bolt on the CDI housing and subtract your previous measurement. The final figure should be less than 1 Ohm.

Top Bottom