SXR Weight reduction

Hi guys

Im startet to cut all the extra glue out of the ski sides.

What more to do? im building a Batteribox in carbon and taking out all the stainless steel that is not nessersary.

Im thinking of cutting some of the fiberglass layers under the engine, the hull is very ( VERY ) thik there.

Next project is Carbon rideplate and hopefully a Carbon Waterbox.

Anyone tried to go crazy with the weight reduction?

Thanks -

Nicolaj

Cannibal

Tasty Human
I pulled 11.33 lbs (~5kg) of glue out of my ski from under the tray and engine bay. The hull is over 13mm thick under the engine. I took a belt sander and thinned mine out. You can also cut out the entire section where the tool kit mounts. You can cut a bunch of weight out of your hood, do a search here to see how. Others have gotten rid of the ebox bracket, some have swiss cheesed it. You can build a waterbox, but really, an ATP or TDR is so much lighter than stock and holds less water when running.

Good luck

D-Roc

I forgot!
shorten the bottom deck and the tray section, hack the nose off and chuck everything that is bling or does not increase performance. You can make it lighter but your well behind the blue riders weight right from the factory.

Im now startet the weight reduction on my SXR.
Start weight: 110.9 Kilo ( With out Tank and Motor )

Removed so far:
Glue.... ( A lot )
Steel clamps that is not needed
Smal fiber peaces
Steel things...
I will make som parts in carbon to reduce the weight to.

:)

IMG_2766.jpgIMG_2769.jpgIMG_2770.jpgIMG_2775.jpg

What is your goal with this project?

A Trinity carbon hood shaves 22 high CG pounds.
Carbon ride plate,
Smaller kart tank to shave fuel weight.
TBM steering is billet Alum and not cast like the stock.
Waterbox from TDR is about half the weight..
Bpipe shave weight from the stock pipe.

D-Roc

I forgot!
Yup great list of ways to cut weight. If you just do one it may be hard to feel the difference but shave weight on everything you can think possibe, and the gains are huge.

Hi all.

The Goal is to optimate the things there is possible without going on compromise with the strength and the way it sails on.

With time and money a pipe will come and a water box and flywheel, then the ski will in my eyes be perfect!

Nicolaj

Mark44

Katie's Boss
Hi guys

Im startet to cut all the extra glue out of the ski sides.

What more to do? im building a Batteribox in carbon and taking out all the stainless steel that is not nessersary.

Im thinking of cutting some of the fiberglass layers under the engine, the hull is very ( VERY ) thik there.

Next project is Carbon rideplate and hopefully a Carbon Waterbox.

Anyone tried to go crazy with the weight reduction?

Thanks -

Nicolaj

Sure did I went from a kawi to a superjet.

I have a 2011 sxr Im working on the same thing LESS WEIGHT So far so good everthing I took off or change was a 1/3 of the weight from factory.
Air box
Pole
water box
Rubb rails
Hood
All that #$%&in glue
Gas tank
Battery
That chunk of rubber from the water box to back of the ski
And grinding out all that glass
When I'm all done should be 70-80 lbs of weight loss. I started at 391 lbs dry

Cannibal

Tasty Human
Cut 7/8 inch off the lip where the hull is glued together for the rubb rails. 30.32 OZ of glsss gone for ever :fest30:

Rub rails? Care to expand a bit?

Are you talking about cutting 7/8" off of the vertical section of rail where the top and bottom decks are glued together all the way around? Like leaving no vertical portion of that at all, just horizontal?

DarkWater

Down Side Up
I'm in the middle of lightening my sn hull. I took about 20lbs of glue/foam out. And that's just the tray.
I plan on sanding the engine bay. Cutting the rails a bit ( the glue weighs a lot) . Looking into light weight battery. Some batteries are close to 5-6 lbs lighter than the usuals.

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
Get a LiFePo battery with better specs than the Standard lead acid batteries and be over ten lbs lighter.

Top Bottom