weisco piston break second opinion (photo)

dajnglst

Glass Happens
On the contrary what are your statistics at porting, tuning, building your engines and campaigning them at a national/international/professional level ? Not assembling the goods provided you by other suppliers ?

A dumbass would not challenge you to a pissing contest unless he was assured your 20 years of experience of doing what you know and not necessarily know what you are doing may possibly provide conclusive evidence that your prostate would most certainly be larger than mine so I believe I could in fact piss farther.

YouTube - South Park - Timmy! "Retarded"

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
Your experience, as stated, is pretty impressive.

But why did you not properly kill that runaway engine before it cooked itself? It's pretty easy to do. I have a hard time believing such an accomplished mechanic wouldn't be able to do it.

WFO Speedracer

A lifetime ban is like a lifetime warranty !
Your experience, as stated, is pretty impressive.

But why did you not properly kill that runaway engine before it cooked itself? It's pretty easy to do. I have a hard time believing such an accomplished mechanic wouldn't be able to do it.

Typically people that are good at what they do don't have to tell other people how good they are,if they are that good the other people already know.:biggthumpup:ps I love how this guy not only knows that bad crank seals will not cause air leaks he also knows exactly what I have and have not experienced on two cycle engines,gentlemen we are obviously in the presence of a superior being with mental capacities beyond our comprehension.He could probably stop that runaway engine by mentally focusing on it to stop,either that or just waiting till it puked its guts out all over the bilge of his boat.Great one please tell us all what the future holds for us we await your answer great one!.

Last edited:

dajnglst

Glass Happens
Wee doo,

Allow me to offer the edit of the post about the most, in my original post about the front crank seal air leaks. I should have simply used the word "some". What was offered was some insight that air leaks do not always lead to engine failure.

I can comprehend your reasons for wanting to raise the bs flag. This forum being a place to help aid others in properly diagnosing issues with their machines. My apologies extended to you for having offered the word most instead of some. In the case of most, be they my experience, that oem power plants may suffer leaky crank seals and still function without catastrophic engine failure. While the seal will leak and suck air just as you have suggested it does not always lead to engine failure. May the example of what I had presented provide you conclusive evidence that I can back up my now (consider it to be edited) claim of most to some. Many users of this forum dedicated to the modification of their craft would in fact find such a claim irrational. As a highly modified oem powerplant would fail rather quickly with such a leaky seal condition. As hopefully as you may now understand that a leaky crank seal does not always mean a guaranteed engine failure.

With the proverbial egg on my face, my apologies to you and a tip of the hat to you for keeping me honest with the claim of most and not some.

Let it be known that no one person can stake claim to a leaky crank seal causing a guaranteed engine failure. That was more or less what I was trying to suggest. Done so improperly.

As far as the reasons as to why I posted a little of my history, you seemingly questioned my abilities to tune a 2 cycle engine effectively. I provided you with nothing more than some insight as to what I have done and my abilities to do it. Having acted as a parasitic sponge around the likes of Ed Toomey, Reine Pearson of Swede Tech Racing engines, Frank Wrathell of FW developments, Roland Cushway formerly of HRC, Steve Biganski and plenty of other 2 cycle engine tuners in addition to education provided by MMI in Orlando FLA my knowledge base is pretty thourough.

As for runaway, XL 700 engine. The engine was in fact an SBT replacement with NO FAULT warranty. Having found the engine to be air tight, there was no explanation as to why it would runaway. Having rebuilt carbs and intake completely with new gaskets there should have been no way possible to introduce air through the intake sans one low speed mixture screw that was frozen in the carburetor body. Making chicken salad out of chicken droppings as required by the customers budget we were not inclined to believe that the frozen low speed adjuster could cause such an issue after all it had idled normally after first attempt of testing and had also functioned normally when the boat was test ridden before delivery. Upon the morning after fire up before customer was to arrive, the boat starts running away. Uncontrolled
vacuum with throttle bodies closed we remove plug caps and engine swiftly dies out. We remove our intake, new gaskets again and test once more. Same thing happens. Only this time after pulling lanyard and removing plug caps in continues to Carnot cycle/Diesel runaway as it's not been hooked up to a cooling source. With air box removed I stuff two shop rags down each throttle body intake. While this only slows engine speed slightly. I cup the intakes off with my hands and still does not stop the engine from turning over. It slows but not shutting off. This continues for about 50 seconds or so as engine speed slows from what seemed to be 7,000 rpm or so down to 4,500 or so.
During this time the engine is so hot it melts the paint off of cylinder head bolts and they begin to steam from the water that was still inside cooling jacket from previous test ride. Now having no reason to inspect this engine,as it was provided by sbt and would be covered under warranty. In the event I open the sealed engine up, there is no longer any warranty applicable to their
re-maned engine. Cooking myself in what was 97 degree weather outdoors working on a double trailer that was 3 feet up in the air from a new axle with leaf springs intended for a yacht, I was more than a little annoyed and figured
I should just give this XL 700 a vikings funeral after all the work we had done to it, mind you I didn't. Any doubts let's sell these carbs to somebody on ebay and let them enjoy the experience for themselves. I simply presume that something happened with a crank seal. As intake is solid and throttle bodies are completely closed off in completely closed position with no allowance for an idle speed.

A new engine soon arrives as a replacement for the melted down engine. We install it using the same carbs and discover this engine does the same thing with these old cabs. Only portion of these carbs being bad is one stuck low speed adjuster on the front cylinder. Remove carbs and replace them with a known good set on the bench I prepped for one of boats, 701 wave raider. These carbs instantly eliminate runaway condition, boat was test ridden and delivered A OK .

Never had it happened to me before or after this occasion.

dajnglst

Glass Happens
"Great one please tell us all what the future holds for us we await your answer great one!."

Well for fun I hope you find this piece enlightening.

The Differences
Sometimes in the amazing ignorance
I hear things and see things
I never knew I saw and heard before
Sometimes in the ignorance
I feel the meaning
Invincible invisible wisdom,
And I commune with intuitive instinct
With the force that made life be
And since it made life be
It is greater than life
And since it let extinction be
It is greater than extinction.
I commune with feelings more than
prayer
For there is nothing else to ask for
That companionship is
And it is superior to any other is.
Sometimes in my amazing ignorance
Others see me only as they care to see
I am to them as they think
According the standard I should not be
And that is the difference between I and them
Because I see them as they are to is
And not the seeming isness of the was.
Sun Ra

The end of this flame war.(I hope) or you can enjoy this place
http://www.itszone.co.uk/zone0/profile.php

Then there is always this guy:

YouTube - COLLAPSE of the 'local reality' is a "Paradigm Shift"

Cheers We Doo.

Peace on Earth as well as this Forum.

WFO Speedracer

A lifetime ban is like a lifetime warranty !
I have experienced an almost total front crankshaft seal failure on my JS550SX engine,it did not seize,did not cause any motor damage,it just plain would not run,it backfired,spit and sputtered along till it would die.I know it is possible.Tthe reason I was on your case so hard is some people read this stuff and take it as gospel,especially when you tell them what your experience level is.As always it is up to the individuals reading these posts to do their own research and determine what is fact and what is fiction.Like you said just trying to keep everybody honest here lol.

Last edited:

Matt_E

Site Supporter
FYI: With a runaway engine, skip the rags in the carbs BS.

Push & Hold the stop button, and pull the throttle wide open. It'll die.

dajnglst

Glass Happens

Thanks for the tip. Hope there isn't a next time. Just figured because of the revs it was getting more than enough air. Throughout the fiasco I never thought to lean it out.

sj1million

moto - dirt/h2o

not to get into a pissing match with you but usually a engine that "runs away" is due to an air leak... and a little extra temp in the cylinders and no load.

When there is no load on the engine and it starts to run away, there will be a problem with pre-ign. In which case holding the stop button (killing spark) will do nothing. The engine is not running on the spark at the spark plug but yet a glowing bur or carbon (and so you have no rev limiter).

The only thing opening the throttle will do is let even more air and fuel in.

The best and only ways to stop the engine is put a load on it (putting pump in water), adding extreme amounts of fuel or cutting off air flow.

ON the piston deal Im going with wedoseadont! Definitely a lean condition and detonation!

Boris

The Good Old Days
Actually, opening the throttle sends a nice cool mixture into the cylinder that kills a hot spot fast. By holding the stop button you ensure that once the hot spot has cooled off, there is no further spark source.

dajnglst

Glass Happens
We have a winner! Or pump the living hell out of the primer

Keep in mind the throttle valves were completely closed off. No clearance between valve and body. No air...

In retrospect it may not have gone on so long if it had a cooling source, hook up to the hose next time or at least have somebody on stand by.

http://www.engineersedge.com/thermodynamics/carnot_cycle.htm

or just light it off with the plugs loose to remove them if it attempts to run away.

Trust me, intakes were well blocked off, it may have found air source through head gasket as it was cooking. Never did tear the engine down after the fact as it went to SBT. Cylinder head bolts were steaming out.

Last edited:

Matt_E

Site Supporter
not to get into a pissing match with you but usually a engine that "runs away" is due to an air leak... and a little extra temp in the cylinders and no load.

When there is no load on the engine and it starts to run away, there will be a problem with pre-ign. In which case holding the stop button (killing spark) will do nothing. The engine is not running on the spark at the spark plug but yet a glowing bur or carbon (and so you have no rev limiter).

The only thing opening the throttle will do is let even more air and fuel in.

The best and only ways to stop the engine is put a load on it (putting pump in water), adding extreme amounts of fuel or cutting off air flow.

ON the piston deal Im going with wedoseadont! Definitely a lean condition and detonation!

Wrong, 100%. Sorry, I piss further and more on target.

Top Bottom