Surfriding Wet or dry suit preference and thickness

My gear for the coldest days consists of a 3/2 oneill hammer 5mm booties I don't remember the name of atm and thick 7mm gloves that broke end of last season. Earliest I've been out is late april. Water temp about 45 air 65. It's my first wet suit but I'd say it does its job well. I'm warm when riding, even falling frequently. My suit is very snug and I could probably have used a bigger size but the suit doesn't flush frequently. In 60 degree water in early June I find myself flushing the suit myself to cool down.

Latest I've been out with it was last season mid november. Water temp 55-60 degrees air probably high 50's. I forgot to zip the damn suit and was still comfortable.

I'd like to try a nice 4/3 or 5/3 to stay out till the water starts to freeze.

shawn_NJ

Chasing waves.
If you dont have the cash for multiple suits, get a GOOD quality (xcel) 3/2 suit (front zip if you can afford it) and one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Xcel-AYB402H0BLK-X-Small-P-PolyPro-Hooded-Vest/dp/B0091SH69A

Keeps the suit from flushing around the neck and gives you total of 5mm in your chest and back, keeping your core warm. Another plus is that you maintain 3/2 flexibilty on your arms and legs. I was warmer with this combo then a rear zip 4/3, and budget 4/3 does not have 1/2 the flex of a top of the line 3/2.

^Also if you're tight on cash, i have a 3-2 full body and a old shorty 2-2 i wear underneath. Nice and toasty all day long!! Get good gloves though like mentioned above that's what gets ya

dry suite keeps you dry and with long underwear keeps you warm but its bulky. These new 5/3 or 4/3 suits are great because i feel like they are more mobile and you pretty much stay dry!

jeremy chambon

Need more power
I wear a 3:2 o Neil with mx gloves I wear shoes with 2 mill socks my ski is set up for hand warmers and I wear a helmet coldest weather was 30 degrees kinda cold but normal temp is in the 40

Pnutt

From( Jet Punks ) Texoma
Thanks to every one that posted. hope this is helpful to others as it was very helpful to me. I have never owned a wet suit but need to buy one.

If you're going to ride cold water like below 45 then dont bother with back zippers. Chest zip is the best with a built in hoodie. Modern day, quality wet suits will function almost as good as a dry suit. Its one of those things that you decide which brand you like, and go for their top tier suit. The thickness all depends on your water/air temps you plan on riding in. I use a 5/4 xcel with xcel 7mm booties for cold weather. I wear it until I can comfortably use my 2mm long john, but I also have a jacket that goes over that for chilly days. Probably only a few weeks in the year I don't wear a wet suit. Idc what anyone says, NY is cold during the summer too!

Last edited:

Pnutt

From( Jet Punks ) Texoma
It's is mostly for winter riding . The water is 50* now here but we are going surf riding and I'm sure the sea water is colder.

i go from a dry suit to a 7mm to a 5mm to a 3/2 as the water warms up. i rarely ever just wear shorts. a full suit keep the funky tan lines away and its also like a suit of armour. its a war out there and you better be dressed for battle.

i go from a dry suit to a 7mm to a 5mm to a 3/2 as the water warms up. i rarely ever just wear shorts. a full suit keep the funky tan lines away and its also like a suit of armour. its a war out there and you better be dressed for battle.

+1 the extra protection. I always cut myself up trying to get on the hood messin around and whatever in the summer when I'm just in shoes, trunks, and a vest. Having a suit on saves me from the bumps and bruises that can add up.

kkwedell

x-h20.com
I wear a hyperflex amp k 4/3. It is a kiteboarding wetsuit. I like it because kiteboarding wetsuits have ankle drains so you don't get kankles.

I wear a 4mil rip curl wet suit and have ridden in water just under 40 degrees. The key is to make sure you get booties, gloves, and a hood if you're riding in anything around freezing. My first ride this year was days after the lake thawed with water just under 40. The forecast said the temp would be up to 50 degrees for a high that day....however I showed up at like 8am lol. it was around 30 and after an hour of riding my lanyard was frozen to my wrist. the 4mil kept me warm...enough. just try not to fall. I think I would prefer to wear a dry suit, but I have yet to try one. maybe this winter.

two months later you may have already bought a new suit but i wanted to put in my 2 cents.. i bought a new wetsuit this year , went with a full 4/3 wetsuit as opposed to dry and here is why.. the dry wont keep you warm unless you bundle up underneath, usually they are bulky and most importantly for me is if you have the misfortune of hooking it on anything and it tears...your f''''ed and now longer dry.

after trying many suits i finally chose the O'neill heat...its ridiculously warm, specially with booties/gloves helmet combo, my face becomes the weak point for cold. it is incredibly flexible and allows me to move freely at all times, and fits so well tat even when floating in water for long periods, it barely gets wet on the inside. i wear this almost constantly unless it gets very warm, then i switch to a 3/2 shorty just to keep the body warm.

here is a brief review of the suit...i can say enough good things about it only thing left is the test of time
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPxTEEQAYX4

edit...first ride of the year was april 3rd in the canadian rockies...after a day of skiing and noticing the ice was gone from the lake.dont know temps, but it was damn cold ;-)

Last edited:
Top Bottom