Wetsuit or no wetsuit?

Yea I'm itching to ride but my wetsuit doesn't fit me well anymore. Trying to decide to bite the bullet and buy a new one or just go without. It's been in the 70s in southern Illinois, so I'm thinking about it.

CRJ

Hibernating
water is still in the 40's. i wouldnt without a wetsuit. in 40-50* water hypothermia can set in in as little as 30 minutes and you can be dead in under 1 hr. put on the tight suit or get a new one, your going to regardless, no sense freezing while you cheap out.

I'm right on the north most border of il in iowa. I took my machine for a rip last Sunday no wetsuit. Surface water temp around 48. Air temp around 70.

CRJ

Hibernating
i suit up till the waters around 65 and air is in the 80+. But im a skinny sum-bitch with no fat

central wisconsin, we rode already this year in trunks, above 50 degree water temp seems to be when we can handle going no wetsuit.

Just make sure you are with someone or decently close to shore, so if you have an issue you don't have to sit there forever.

I normally use my wetsuit until Memorial Day weekend. Last week though the air temp. was 75, and then 2 days ago it was 35, so in Michigan I guess I could be wearing the wetsuit through August.

eastcoastjumper

James
Site Supporter
Any bonehead claiming they ride 40 degree water in boards shorts is full of sh it. When you go out for a few hours at a time there is no messing around with cold water. Even on the beach when you're dripping and there is wind you don't warm up unless air is above 60+. You get disconnected from your ski or have any engine trouble and you're time in the water is limited. When you can't feel your hands, feet, and your muscles start to stiffen up you're not having a good time. You can pretend you're a tough guy all you want, but you're not fooling anyone

Top Bottom