What age do you start kids on stand ups?

In Tennessee if you get your boating license (which they basically give you once you pay your $10) you can operate any PWC or vessel that doesn't require a special license at the age of 12. If there is a licensed adult on board that can take immediate control of the vessel than any one at any age can drive..the boat police don't come back by us ever so my dad got us all on as soon as he thought we were mature enough to handle it. I agree with Vumad age restrictions are stupid for these things. Its on the parents to teach them how to be responsible

There was a thread on here recently where someone built a real nice ski for his 2 young sons. I did the same as scorn until BMX took over. Man I miss those family days. Nice vid D-Roc.

This guy :)

He's 7yrs old.
It's an sxr lightweight bottom deck by Tigercraft, with a Tigercraft Speedster top deck.
Total weight with five gallons, only 314lbs. :)

Stock 750 with dry pipe and air filters. It rips.

http://www.x-h2o.com/index.php?threads/My-Kids-TigerCraft-Ski-Build.147783/

a4e6u6e7.jpg
8y2ymese.jpg

u6yga7eh.jpg

Last edited:
Legal age by us is 16, but that didn't stop one of the guys from letting his 5 year old bump his SXR into everyone's stuff (kneeling). I have more of a problem with the 16 rule than the 5 year old riding, but the 5 year old on a stock SXR with no governor of any kind on a busy day bumping into parked skis was bothersome.

Personally, if I had access to a private lake and a small ski that I could govern, when I do have kids, they would be riding the moment they could stand. I don't have a problem with the age, just with how parents go about doing it.

I think the 16 rule is really lame. They tried to make such a law for atvs / bikes but it got shot down. Shame kids have to be protected from the ignorance of their parents, and families like mine have to suffer for it. Although, thinking about it, banning kids from riding ATVs is a very good way to indirectly attack the community.

the legal age is 14 with a floridas boater test completed, my son had been riding with us for a few months now. he studied and took the test by himself for himself, it is my job to teach him the real world skills on the water.. i believe the age with no boaters test is 18.

High Speed Industries

Your one stop shop for quality parts @highspeedind
It's definitely how the parents handle the situation. A few months back I was at body beach in Lake Havasu City, AZ. There was a guy riding with his son who is 7 or 8. The kid was on a 300sx and that dad was bumming skis off his buddies because his POS (hydrospace) wouldn't run. Anyway the kid was totally fine when he was just minding his own business, even on a busy day. For the most part he would just ride in small circles at speeds just above idle. I had no problem with this, it was nice seeing the kid have the time of his life. What really pissed me off was when the dad stepped in and made the kid go on the busy race course. He made his son go around the busy track by himself, dad ran buoys at full speed and left the kid in the dust. Keep in mind this isn't a small recreational course, this is a full blown high speed track. At the time I want to say there was 10-12 riders on the track. Most of the riders are on 50-75mph skis, and then there is a little kid doing 10mph on his 300. What kind of dumbass makes his kid do this. Many riders almost hit him, I got off the track as soon as I saw him. I didn't want any part of it. Eventually everyone got off the track and it was just the asshole dad and his son going around. That dad looked confused as to why everyone stopped riding. I don't think anyone said anything to him, and I don't think he would listen anyway. His head is so far up his ass that you can't reason with the guy. The only credit that I give to this dad was that his son had a helmet on.
So the moral of the story is don't be this guy ^^^. Teach your kids how to look around and pay attention. Before you know it they will be shredding in the next few years.

My boys started riding at 8 and 9 on a 550Sx which took all of 2 days to master and then they were on my 750sxi pro and then my 800SXR. They are 12 and 13 now and have completed the boaters safety course for Georgia and are legal, they can ride anything that I can ride!!! My twin girls started at age 7 on the 550sx and now at age 9 ride 750sxi pro, X2, Waveblaster 1's, but I still keep them off the superjet and FX1. We ride in a small local pond. Its all about spending time teaching them the skills and how to be safe!!

Mike W

Infidel
I finally thought my daughter (14) the basics on my SN a couple weeks ago. Within 30 minutes she was standing and learning how to turn. Sadly my son (16) has no interest in jet skis.

Scorn800

Ride for life
I had my daughter out this past weekend. She rode with me on my sxr. We did about a 15min cruise at about 25-30mph. She didn't want to stop but my back was killing me from bending over so much so she could stand and have her hands on the bars. She might be ready for the 3 hundo sx at the end of the summer, I'll see how she progresses

Top Bottom