Other What All Around Lithium Battery to Buy?

Fro Diesel

creative control
Whether or not it says waterproof, its not 100% waterproof.

Do youself a favor and seal the edge of the battery where the case meets the top.

Anyone else dislike the quad terminals?

bird

walking on water
Site Supporter
WPS Lithium since October 2014, two of the battery indicator lights stopped working.

I left my bilge pump on during a trip to Lake Michigan last summer. I charged this battery up in less than 5 minutes and haven't charged it since. I pulled it this past winter and it was still fully charged when I re-installed it.

Stock battery was 15.5 pounds, the model I got is 3.5 pounds I believe.

wps at advance is best priced, They are good for 2 full 5 gall tanks on total loss. I wonder what the real AH of these are. I found a ballistic 16 cell that was labeled 15ah on the case,with the cells takin out,the china label on them listed them at 4.6ah. That seems more realistic with that amount of run time on a ign with no bilge running,with a couple starts on a ski that fires up immediately

I run a shori. Its expensive but its super light and i have had zero issues with it. Going on 2 seasons, and just finally hooked a battery charger to it "just because"...

@Ducky or anyone else using the advance auto Lithium...I have drained 2 of these batteries after only a few hours of riding. Dumb question here but does the charging system charge these lithium batteries while riding? I transferred the same setup from my SJ into my SV-1 and I never had an issue with draw before. Just strange that now I have drained 2 of these lithium batteries after only a few hours of use. I do use my dual bilge pumps more now in the SV-1 but that is the only difference.

Ducky

Back in the game!
@Ducky or anyone else using the advance auto Lithium...I have drained 2 of these batteries after only a few hours of riding. Dumb question here but does the charging system charge these lithium batteries while riding? I transferred the same setup from my SJ into my SV-1 and I never had an issue with draw before. Just strange that now I have drained 2 of these lithium batteries after only a few hours of use. I do use my dual bilge pumps more now in the SV-1 but that is the only difference.

If you are running a charging ignition, then yes, it is charging the battery. Lithium batteries like to be charged and then fully drained, charged and then full drained....which is why after I got rid of the total loss system, I went back to a standard AGM battery.

Ok thanks. So if you are using a charging system you are actually harming a lithium battery more than helping by constantly charging while riding? Either way I shouldn't have drained 2 different ones in just a few hours riding so I have to have something drawing from the battery when its just sitting.

I had three of the advance auto lithium batteries go bad for no apparent reason. Two were with total loss, one was with a charging system.

One of them just died and will not even hold a charge at all and it was brand new. I haven't tried to charge the second one yet but we will see.

I had three of the advance auto lithium batteries go bad for no apparent reason. Two were with total loss, one was with a charging system.

I have been running one since November, killed it completely dead twice and it's still doing great. This is also in a total loss application.

I have been running one since November, killed it completely dead twice and it's still doing great. This is also in a total loss application.

I know a alot of people have had good luck with them in fresh water flaterwater applications. Mine lasted fine when riding flatwater/boat chasing. Never had one go bad until I used them in the surf. The two that died using total loss died after less than half a tank of fuel. The one on charging system lasted about 2 tanks before it completely died. Not sure if it was because of the salt, or the added abuse from beating around in the surf. All batteries where sealed with tape around the seem and 5200 around the terminals

I know a alot of people have had good luck with them in fresh water flaterwater applications. Mine lasted fine when riding flatwater/boat chasing. Never had one go bad until I used them in the surf. The two that died using total loss died after less than half a tank of fuel. The one on charging system lasted about 2 tanks before it completely died. Not sure if it was because of the salt, or the added abuse from beating around in the surf. All batteries where sealed with tape around the seem and 5200 around the terminals

That is weird. I have had mine in the surf on a few different occasions and it's still going strong. Maybe it has something to do with the battery being up high in the limited slip tank, if it is a water intrusion issue.

x2mafia

Maximum effort
Lithiums dont like charging systems at all. Those expensive special chargers and tenders provide a super low amp charger that our skis charging systems cannot. ive had multiple discussions with my battery reps about this. one rep sugested to run some sort of amp decreasing fancy pants somthin or other whatchamacallit between the battery cable and the positive on the battery so it only allows a certain amount to get back into the battery. That all sounded like a fire bound to happen so i just run the deka ext9's as they are only 120cca they seem to do just fine and weigh 6 lbs. I turn my bilge on at the beginning of the day and dont turn it off till i realize i forgot and im flushing my ski out at home lol

Lithiums dont like charging systems at all. Those expensive special chargers and tenders provide a super low amp charger that our skis charging systems cannot. ive had multiple discussions with my battery reps about this. one rep sugested to run some sort of amp decreasing fancy pants somthin or other whatchamacallit between the battery cable and the positive on the battery so it only allows a certain amount to get back into the battery. That all sounded like a fire bound to happen so i just run the deka ext9's as they are only 120cca they seem to do just fine and weigh 6 lbs. I turn my bilge on at the beginning of the day and dont turn it off till i realize i forgot and im flushing my ski out at home lol

Our skis have a super low amperage charging system. A lithium requires a special charging algorithm, based on what chemistry the battery is made of. Technically an agm battery needs to be charged different than a lead acid battery. But a lithium is designed to be drained and recharged, while an agm or lead acid is not. A lithium, once fully charged, can not have a small amount of amperage put to it still. So like battery tenders that constantly send a small amount of amperage to the battery will kill a lithium in short order. They are just a completely different chemistry make up from what everyone is used to.

Just my two cents, the wps batteries specify that they are made specifically to be used with a traditional charger where as others require lipo specific chargers or you kill them.

djraider700

lol wut?
WPS battery here too. Going on my 3rd season. Stayed hooked up all winter in storage and never skipped a beat. Never had to charge it. The blue has faded almost white and the charge indicator quit working sometime last year but it cranks strong and weighs next to nothing.

Jawbreaker

Rick James Edition
IMG_5971.JPG This receipt is for 2 batteries.
I'd go for the $49 Deka 14 Gel battery... They are a lot more forgiving when you don't immediately re charge your battery after sitting or using total loss ignition... It's also a good price. I didn't even buy it on a dealers account... I was just a walk in. I'm on my second lithium battery this year... I'm replacing it with a gel... they last longer.

Top Bottom