What can I take off of to loose weight.

I have an 08 sj that I got 2 weeks ago and I am wondering about what I can remove and how? there is a fire extinguisher tube that is located between the hood and the pole, can I remove it? It just seems to collet water thats about it. I will not be riding with an extinguisher anyway, there is no one where I ride that will check me out and ticket me. is there anything else I can take out?
I will also be installing a bilge pump, where is the best place to mount the pump and where should I drill the hole. what is the best and cheapest switch to use?
Sorry for all the questions just thought I would do it all in one post.

Thnx Mike

Kennay

Squarenose for the _____
Just start watching what you eat and working out, unless you want to start replacing things with aftermarket carbon parts and what not....

Just lose weight and add more power :D

afcblink

Stuck in the no wake zone
If you do that you'll save a ton of money on gas as well. You can ride for an entire season on one tank. You don't even need to run premix.:bananajump::bananajump::cheer::cheer:
Hey, that's workable. You just need a buddy with a boat and a tow rope. Simplifies upgrades, too. Just find another buddy with a faster boat.

I was thinking there would be some real feed back not a bunch of people lookin to bump up their post count.
thnx to those who made a real attemp to help a guy out.
Is there anything that can really be taken off to shed weight yes? no? dieting would not be a good idea since I am weigh only 170.

wydopen

onthepipe
your ski is fine like it is for now..tka eoff the stock bumpers and stuff and the fire extinguisher if your worried about it but i guarantee u wont notice a difference

Big Kahuna

Administrator
I was thinking there would be some real feed back not a bunch of people lookin to bump up their post count.
Is there anything that can really be taken off to shed weight yes? no? dieting would not be a good idea since I am weigh only 170.

I replied about your bilge pump.

1. Get a composite hood from Wamiltons, XFT, XScream These will be your lightest options.

2. Remove the plastic side rails.

3. Get a smaller, lighter battery.

4. Run no more than 1/2 tank of fuel at a time.

5. lose the OEM Chin Pad, or at least remove the foam and cover and use hydroturf over the plastic, that will save some handle pole weight, the foam holds water.

6. Find a Factory Pipe "B" pipe, they weight much less than the stock exhaust.

7. you could get the XMetal waterbox, but it is really loud.

8. Invest in a lightweight hull from Wamiltons, XFT or Trinity (coming out with a Superjet based hull, but may be months).

9. Please ignore the children, they get a little silly sometimes.

That was directed to you: Big Kahuna, Kennay and now wydopen, Thnx guys.
Well the reason I asked about the fire extinguisher holder is that it fill's up with water all the time and I have to drain it constantly, so I was wondering what everyone else did about that.
the B-pipe is being saved up for right now
I was thinking about using the plastic and yoga mat and hydro-turf on the chin pad but I was going to wait and see what that looked like on a stock pole.
When foot holds are put in (I hope soon) I was planning on putting some turf in place of the rail, I didn't know it saved weight untill now, I was going to do it for grip and looks, but thats a bonus now that I know it will help.
The reason I ask if there are things that I can take out is because money is tight right now after buying this thing that all, and i can hardly afford to pay for the gas to ride it, so I was looking to find out some free or cheap mods that could be done in the mean time.
Thnx guy and I was not meaning to make it sound as if i was mad, just trying to get it back on track that is all, so sorry if you read it wrong

Last edited:

Snackem

Danger Zone
In all honesty one of the only real "cheap" ways to reduce weight is to make sure you have dry foam. BUT that is a pain to defoam and refoam. BK's list is a great one but fairly expensive. Lightweight parts are expensive.

wydopen

onthepipe
yea honestly with out spending some serious $ on a new hood/ waterbox and stuff like that anything you do isnt going to make much of a difference...

That was directed to you: Big Kahuna, Kennay and now wydopen, Thnx guys.
Well the reason I asked about the fire extinguisher holder is that it fill's up with water all the time and I have to drain it constantly, so I was wondering what everyone else did about that.
the B-pipe is being saved up for right now
I was thinking about using the plastic and yoga mat and hydro-turf on the chin pad but I was going to wait and see what that looked like on a stock pole.
When foot holds are put in (I hope soon) I was planning on putting some turf in place of the rail, I didn't know it saved weight untill now, I was going to do it for grip and looks, but thats a bonus now that I know it will help.
The reason I ask if there are things that I can take out is because money is tight right now after buying this thing that all, and i can hardly afford to pay for the gas to ride it, so I was looking to find out some free or cheap mods that could be done in the mean time.
Thnx guy and I was not meaning to make it sound as if i was mad, just trying to get it back on track that is all, so sorry if you read it wrong

Boris

The Good Old Days
Glue your bilge pump down to the hull right under the drive shaft.
Don't mess up that pretty new boat with bilge outlets on the side, instead remove the choke (which you will never use), drill out that hole bigger and stick the bilge outlet there. No need for a fancy billet one, you can pick up a plastic outlet for a couple bucks and since it's on the dash no one will ever know.

The stock hood is heavy so you might consider ripping out the liner and making a new one. If you are careful the outside of the hood will look as good as new but weigh quite a bit less.

My DEKA ETX9 saved a bunch of weight over the stock battery and cranks just fine.

You don't have to tell me to ride twice!!!
I have had it out on the water for 4 days total so far since I bought it and I have logged well over 10 hours on it and burnt over 20 gallons of gas so far. all I can say is that I am very glad I went with the 08 Sj there is no comparison between it and my SXI!!!!
And I raced my buddies 06 SXR and I beat him out of the hole and it took him a long time to pass me, his prob only goes 1-2 MPH faster then mine. We switched ski with each other after about a hour of ride our own and I couldn't wait to get off of his SXR, it handels so much different!! I didn't like it at all.

So far every time out (one big session in the morning one after supper) I have a put a new trick down pat to put into my bag of tricks. I was looking to see what I could do for next weekend other then ride hard to help put away a few more.
does a battery make that much of a difference??

I know no motorsport is cheap

Thnx for the help guys, now that I look at the weight I would save by doing little stuff it does not seem there is much to gain from all the work.

Boris

The Good Old Days
The battery I have now shaved just under 10LBs and the hood liner shaved about the same from my skis (square nose) weight. Not bad at all.

If you need a switch for your bilge pump hit up SXIpro. His switch is the first one that has lasted in the salt and I have tried a lot of different switches.

If you need a switch for your bilge pump hit up SXIpro.
Funny you should say that I jsut found that out earlier today, The only thing is I don't know where i would mount that type of switch. but paying an extra 50 to have it nicely tucked under the start stop switch is not it my budget either. where have you guys that bought from him mounted yours?

tor*p*do

Squarenose FTW
Site Supporter
the key is not weight; it is hosepower to weight ratio that is critical
So bump up the horsepower- pipe, head, msd, etc!

Oh and I hear that if you lay off the CARBs, you will also lose weight!
Cut back on the Brador! :beerchug:

Boris

The Good Old Days
I have my switch mounted down on the dash.
Up for ON and down for OFF, I can kick it on and off while I ride.

No need to run wires up the handle pole.

That seems to ba a not bad place to put it, I will have to check it out and see if i can figure something out. my ski still has that crappy front plastic piece

Top Bottom