What does "running on one cylinder" feel like?

ok so when i was out on the intercoastal this last weekend my ski felt like it had no power for like 30 secs at a time, and didnt sound normal and could barely get up to speed. then 30 seconds later it would be normal. Im not sure what running on one cylender feels like because its never happened to me. Hopefully its a simple problem, im replacing sparkplugs and i took off the boots and they looked pretty nasty. so those will be replaced too. hopefully this will solve the problem.

I mean it wasnt very long like literally 30 seconds. Could it be running on one cylinder or my k&n filter letting water in? i cleaned out my carb today.

Last edited:
If water got in there on either cylinder, it wouldn't be running at all.

Sounds like running on one cylinder. When mine does that, it won't even get out of its own wake due to lack of power.

I am not a mechanic, but I would imagine it is almost always dangerous running on one cylinder.

cookerq62

Life's Been Good
The engine Sound will change completely. Also the smell of unburnt fuel gives it away too. Cut back your plug wires and replace your plugs & boots. Make sure you use dielectric grease on the boots. If salt water gets on the plug insulators they can arc from the wires right to the head. Silicone spray lube on everything helps prevent this.

tor*p*do

Squarenose FTW
Site Supporter
The engine Sound will change completely. Also the smell of unburnt fuel gives it away too. Cut back your plug wires and replace your plugs & boots. Make sure you use dielectric grease on the boots. If salt water gets on the plug insulators they can arc from the wires right to the head. Silicone spray lube on everything helps prevent this.

x2, check plug caps and wires
especially in salt, probably one plug lead going to ground

motosicko

CRF450 & 98RN
Mine was doing that once and it ended up being the coupler between the carbs came loose and wasn't pulling the second carb. Started out intermittent until it fully came loose, then it would idle but would hardly move when I gave it any gas. Pulled flame arrestors and saw the butterfly wasn't opening. Tightened down the set screws and fixed problem.

cookerq62 is bang on.

Good idea to get new boots. (any autoparts store should have the same MSD ones available)

Make sure your spark plug leads are not touching your pipe or head, etc. or they could ground out there instead of at the spark plug.

dbrutherford

Parts Whore
Fells like less then half power and will not get out of its own way to save its life. That was really running on one cylinder. The other broke a rod. It hurt the wallet too.

I bought some NGKs from the Yamaha dealer out on I-77 a while back
may want to check there
really? thats really surprising. I have to pickup some bike parts there soon anyways so ill check. usually they dont have a thing

cookerq62 is bang on.

Good idea to get new boots. (any autoparts store should have the same MSD ones available)

Make sure your spark plug leads are not touching your pipe or head, etc. or they could ground out there instead of at the spark plug.

thats another good idea. i think they were actually touching the pipe. ill make sure they done

Take your ski and tie a rope and a concrete block to it,it feels pretty much like that.
funny thing i acutally did that on my old sxr, i forgot it was tied down to my anchor and i took off and was like wtf?

I mean it wasnt very long like literally 30 seconds. Could it be running on one cylinder or my k&n filter letting water in? i cleaned out my carb today.

It sounds just like you got a little water in. I run K&N's with outerwears on my SXR and every time I sub it a little water gets in and it runs like crap for 30 seconds or so and then clears up and runs normal. It's been that way ever since I learned to sub, say 18 years ago, starting with my 650sx

Last edited:

DAG

Yes, my balls tickled from that landing
I also think its water moisture.

If i forget to turn my bilges on and water collects higher than 2 or so inches where the spinning coupler is now partially in water. Its spitting water droplets all the fck over the place inside your engine bay and this moisture (for me) does just as you say. However fresh plugs always fix the issue.

Mine would drop its power to maybe a 10% max at full throttle and sounds like a baseball card in a bicycle spoke but with a deep grunt tone.

ok so i took it out in the lake today for 3 hours and it ran flawless all that time. no cutouts no nothing. no bogging. i didnt even put new plugs on because i didnt find any. I just cleaned out my old ones.

DAG

Yes, my balls tickled from that landing
What does "running on one cylinder" feel like?

Something like this

battery-powered-jet-ski.jpg

fixed

lol

Top Bottom