What engine?

teronas

Perfection
Hi,

I just picked up my first superjet and I am curious if anyone can tell me what engine I have. I think it is 61x/61x but I am not sure. If it is, will a 650 factory pipe perform well with it?

Attachments

• DSC00031.jpg
    DSC00031.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 83

Ericfox

Do it twice?That's DooDoo
you have to look at the stamps on the case and the cylinder... all the castings have the stamp... get a little inspection mirror and a flashlight and that will help... otherwise just use a flashlight and stick your head in as far as it can go hehe... its def. not a 62t case though... thats about all I can tell with my limited knowledge... maybe someone can tell just from some casting differences or something? If you have a 701 then get the 701 factory pipe... if you have a 650 then get the 650 factory pipe... savy?

Nice avatar hehe --> View attachment cartman.bmp

Last edited:

Mouthfulloflake

ISJWTA member #2
it is for sure not a 62T cased engine.

cant tell 61x/650 from your photo.

take closer photos of the EXAUST side of the cylinder, and also close ups of the nomenclature tags circled in yellow in this pic.

Attachments

• engine.jpg
    engine.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 50

Ericfox

Do it twice?That's DooDoo
while you're at it put a couple crumpled up paper towels in that exhaust manifold opening... hate to see you drop something in there and not realize it...

teronas

Perfection
Ok, I will take a closer look and get some better pictures after work today.
The ski came with a factory 650 b pipe, but the guy I bought it from wasn't too sure what the cyl was /bore size. Would it be possible to get a b limited chamber and use in place of the 650 chamber? (would it be a good idea if possible?)

I was contemplating between cartman and butters for the avatar. I might switch to a shot of butter's "what what in the butt" video; that was hilarious.

keefer

T1
Post up some pics of the rest of the factory pipe also. Are you sure it was a 650 pipe? What year is the hull? Look at the last two digits of the Hull ID plate on the top of the exh side gunwale.

teronas

Perfection
I'm 90% sure it is a 650 chamber. I will post a pic of it after work as well. The hull is a 91, but the guy i bought it from said he did some engine work and raced or something, so I am hoping its not 6m6 cyl. 61x would be the ideal, correct? thanks for all the help so far.
Bryan

Also, thanks for the welcoming!

teronas

Perfection
Here are some more pictures of the engine and exhaust. So the 6m6 on the case means it is a 650 engine not a 61x? I didn't see any markings on the cylinder anywhere, but they would most likely be 6m6? I also received another cylinder with the ski; the exhaust ports look like they might be cracked? I posted a picture of one.

Attachments

• DSC00051.jpg
    DSC00051.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 26
  • DSC00054.jpg
    DSC00054.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 47
  • DSC00056.jpg
    DSC00056.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 53
  • DSC00057.jpg
    DSC00057.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 46
  • DSC00058.jpg
    DSC00058.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 39

teronas

Perfection
few more pics
..there was one marking on the cyl, but i can't tell what it is.

Attachments

• DSC00059.jpg
    DSC00059.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 29
  • DSC00062.jpg
    DSC00062.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 46

keefer

T1
Look on the intake side in between the cylinders and see if there is a mark there. If 61x you have a 701 cylinder with the larger ports & good timing, I don't remember what the stock 650 mark reads. I would say you probably have a 650 since that is definitely a 650 FP chamber and you have 650 cases. Hopefully that cyl is ported and it should run pretty good even if it is a 650 with the ProTec head.

Mouthfulloflake

ISJWTA member #2
650 cases and cylinder

cylinder MIGHT be bored and or ported, cant tell obviously without internal pics.

the other cylinder is a protec cylinder, was likely a $$$ cylinder in the day, and might still be.

edit, pic added.

61x cylinders dont have these bolt holes and bosses.

Attachments

• 650-cyl.jpg
    650-cyl.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:

teronas

Perfection
ok, so my friend was looking on the cyl for any markings and he noticed that on the very base under the exhaust manifold it is marked with 6m6. I am hoping it is ported as well, I might pull the head to examine what there is.

Mouthfulloflake

ISJWTA member #2
make you will likely have to replace the O rings in the head if you pull it, unless they are nearly new, and you are very careful.
you can order them from mcmaster carr for just a few bucks.

it is for sure a 650 case and cylinder, it might be bored to 81mm ( 701) and it might be ported, you will find out both things when you pull the head.

teronas

Perfection
I pulled the head off to check for porting today, I do not think porting has been messed with, but I am not sure. Also, Mouthfulloflake said that the O rings in the head might need to be replaced, but there were none. Do I need to get some O rings? If so, can anyone tell be what I need to get?
thanks
Bryan

Attachments

• DSC00072.jpg
    DSC00072.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 36
  • DSC00071.jpg
    DSC00071.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 34

Kennay

Squarenose for the _____
No, you have a head gasket instead... wouldn't hurt to replace the gasket since you pulled the head, or either get some orings though

Top Bottom