Other What kind of sealant is everyone using for gaskets ect?

I dont re use gaskets. there too cheap to do that, but i do like a good sealant to make the connection better. why not???? just like you said there is no point in re using them, so once the sealant is on theres no way you can re use them.
a sealant will give you a better seal. so why not use sealant and get a better seal. i would actually say if you don't use sealant your more likely to re use the gasket?

I use Permatex High Tack in a brush top can (not the aerosol , it's too thin) when or if needed. For copper gaskets only Hylomar is recommended - at least by the manufacturer. Maybe snowxr will tell us what he uses on copper.

BruceSki

Formerly Motoman25
1211 on front cover gasket, starter where it enters the front cover.

I don't use sealant on any other ones.

A little grease on head o-rings to keep them in place while you mount the head.

Permatex ultra gray for the front cover,grommet and starter o-ring area...5.27 big tube at walmart. Thin layer of grease on intake gaskets and b-pipe gasket...yamabond or 1211 where domes meet headshell to reduce headshell wear per XScream.

Last edited:

Its all about the surf!
Some gaskets, if not torn, can be reused with out any problems, like the exhaust head pipe gasket and front cover gaskets. When I do re use them, I use permatex high heat (Brown stuff). I always coat the front stator cover gasket (whether its new or not) with permatex high heat, too much $$ stuff in there to risk a water leak. I also use 1211 or Yamabond around the starter, I don't trust that O-ring by itself.

BruceSki

Formerly Motoman25
I just replaced a bendix today on my fixed steer squarenose because of a leaky starter o-ring.

Got cleaned and re-sealed with 1211.

Anyone want a semi working bendix? lol

D-Roc

I forgot!
i use the high tack on my intake carb gaskets and base gasket, not so much for sealing but for easy removal and clean up. the gaskets won't stick and you don't gouge the mating surfaces removing the stuck gaskets. i have been able to reuse them but only because i happen to be out of stock and need to ride. It is nice to have the option of reusing it if no one your riding with has one handy.

Roo

it's all good
Site Supporter
Hylomar is awesome stuff (love the color (must be the stoner in me) :Banane13:)

I think Hylomar is no more though - I have not seen it in my local auto store in years.

1211 is what I use on everything currently.

Top Bottom