what PARTS needed for 550/650 conversion? bed plate etc??

okay,

I have a 650 sx 1988 and a 87 js550 hull, all reinforced( carbon walls) with rebuilt pump, new steering cable, footwells, soon turf. and im sure a 650 engine is what it really needs, I think its the right move for alot of reasons.

So, what PARTS do i need. provided, i have both skis, in full.
i hear a conversion bed plate is required, what other parts??

i understand there is a lot of right ups, but nothing is suffice and alot are dead enders.

cheers.

mike b

Michael "Mayhem" Bevacqua aka MikeyChan
I think the only thing you need to purchase is the conversion plate. Im doing the same swap but i need new motor mounts, 550 bedplate, and conversion plate. one thing I heard was if your throwing in a stock 650 this wont be as worth wild as something like a built up 550 motor. I don't know your setup but have fun...maybe make a build thread

Yes you need a conversion plate - JRE or Watcon. You need the electronics too and a way to mount them, or stuff the 650 electronics in the 550 box. I think, don't quote me, you can just swap the voltage regulators as well, but research that to be sure.

You need a proper pitched impeller. Too little pitch and you cavitate with that little pump. The proper pitch I debatable, but 15/20 or straight 17 would be the lowest I would go. I personally ran a 16/21. 18, 19, 20 are not uncommon.

I found fitting a pipe in a conversion ski to be a pain. I tried a PJS 3 piece and couldn't get it to fit correctly, but others have done it. I ran a PJS 2 piece, but wasn't impressed. Finally settled on a Westcoast Version 2 (3 water fitting in the head pipe section) and was satisfied.

Hope this helps a little.

thanks mate
sounds like quiet the mission now. how about that stock pipe? the silver (550 westcoast) design type pipe. will that work.
like i said, ihave both skis in full. is just the bedplate conversion plate the only part i need?

You can get the stock pipe in there. Google 650 pipe modification to get a little more out of the stock pipe. Pipe fitment is like cramming 5 pounds of crap in a 2 pound bag. Expect to have to grind the exhaust manifold down a litte to make it fit.

Need... Yes. You will want a higher pitch impeller. 19* is great. As far as pipe it's not that bad of a fitment. I built up a few 55/650 and 550/750's. I used stock pipes and aftermarket. I personally found the 650 Westcoast pipe to fit the best.

screaming440

The Old Skool Professor
I have a complete 650 conversion setup with westcost pipe and mani, supertrap water box, conversion plate. drain block off, oil pump block off, flam arrestor adaptor, TS ebox and custom ebox mounting plate.

it has pretty much everything including fuel lines and could be installed and going with just a few hours work.

this set up was in Anna's race boat that she finished 7th on at worlds in 2013. IJSBA changed the rules to 550 cc max so I had to replace it this year cuz it was not legal to race.

located in Kansas city. will be driving to Michigan next week. then maybe Florida and Arizona later this winter.

price is $1000 for everything will post pics if someone wants it.

youd get 3500 AUD for that i a heartbeat. where buying 85 usd atm too so you work it out in USD.
ill give you 1000 usd in a heart beat for that

screaming440

The Old Skool Professor
youd get 3500 AUD for that i a heartbeat. where buying 85 usd atm too so you work it out in USD.
ill give you 1000 usd in a heart beat for that

yeah there is about 700 worth of aftermarket parts there and the complete motor. any ones that has ever built one of these knows it is a time consuming project and this would save you a ton of time.

Top Bottom