Super Jet What path to take for a new ski.

I've owned a stockish 550 for a decade now and recently have really been riding it a lot. I've gotten out of motorcycles and I'm thinking of selling my naked K6 gsxr 1000 soon. Here are a few things I'm after. I'm going to ride flat water with 2-3 trips to the ocean a year. I'd like to learn a few tricks and have a nimble ski for buoy carving or boat wake/wave carving. I'd also like to be able to hit 50mph at some point and have a semi stable ride.
I've recently ridden an SXR and it handled amazing but what too heavy for my taste. I also rode a friends 1100 triple sxi and it was a pretty scary ride at speed but loved the power.I've read about superjets and they seem like a great balance of all things.
I can get a new stock 2012 with no hours on it ( love the paint scheme ) and throw a pipe/grate/prop/plate on it and have a pretty fun ski. I can also buy something a little older that has footholds/turf, big bore and all the bolt on's. Then there is the custom hull route and find an engine to put it. Besides the hours of labor it would take for a custom hull,can it be done for under 9k?

So far I'm leaning towards the new ski and gradual bolt ons. It would be nice to have something new and then take it down the rabbit hole.
Sorry be longwinded.

Cliff notes.
Best all around ski for around 9k

I have a 2013 SJ and love it. I've never been on an am hull. Here are my random opinions from the limited amount of time i've owned it. Im also new to the sport. this is only my third season so take what i say with a grain of salt.

-I love the SJ. its obviously one of the most reliable, best all around skis there is. thats why i bought mine. I love not worrying about having issues. the 701 is bullet proof.
-It has a little bit of a weird chine walk at higher speeds but almost everyone seems to get used to it right away. From what i've read this issue is specific to the new hulls only.
-I've ridden other sj's and these ones handle WAY better cornering. in fact you almost have to ride them more aggressively. i cant describe why, maybe a more experienced guy can explain. I love the hull and wouldnt buy any other generation. but thats just me.
-I love the black but im having issues with keeping it looking good. As of recently i learned not to use a cover and a guy on here suggested waxing it about every 5th outing. Just waxed it today. My swirls in the paint have gone away but i still have really bad water spots that i cant get rid of. i dont know why i bought a black ski when i refuse to own a black car. its even more difficult to maintain the paint on a ski it seems.
-its a new ski so obviously i havent had issues yet mechanically.
- i do find myself wishing for a rickter. it blows me away that with a stock 701 in the xfs hull you can throw a flat water backie. i realize its a higher price tag but i sometimes wish i would have just saved for that. Then again, my skill level wont be to that point for many years to come anyway, so this one will be a good ski to learn everything else on. I dont think you will be disappointed with a SJ.
-If you ever decide to sell, it seems like they hold their value and you'll probably be able to get some decent cash for it.

good luck with the decision. let us know what you choose.

naticen

Site Supporter
A 701 with a pipe will blow away a stockish 550, but I personally wouldn't buy new. I would rather skip the instant drop in value, same as a buying a new car. Plenty of people do it, but if you have had that 550 for 10 years, you know how to fix stuff well enough.

I'd go for a $4000 SJ and a $4000 hull. You can easily end up with a decent set up with pipe, pole, prop, and some other goodies. Then it gets to be the same as everyone will always say. Go ride some stuff and find what you like.

Yami-Rider

TigerCraft FV-PRO
I have rode many different factory hulls and one a/m hull. Out of all the factory ski's the superjet is by far my favorite. I would find a nicely modded superjet with lowered hood, pole, motor mods etc. you will save your self alot of money down the road.

swapmeet

Brotastic
Yeah, you CAN build a AM hull for the money you're talking, but with your wish list I would shoot for a modded SJ. Make sure to ask lots of questions though when shopping, or if you have a local 'pro' who can make sure you're not buying a clapped out ski.

X2 on buying new, you get that 'new ski smell' but for the money you can pick up a sweet modded ski.

Pablo

sqeez bth levrs & lean bk
Site Supporter
Patience grasshopper. U will find a ski in excellent condition with nice bolt on mods, but just watch. It will pop up. If u have the cash that's the perfect position to be in. A new ski is great, but boring after those first few rides. Get one with the bolt on's goodies (head, pipe, prop, intake grate, steering, bars, pole...) and then get the real-deal work done at a later date by a builder of your choice. Good luck.

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm still leaning towards getting a newer 2008-12 and modding it. I still have a lot to learn about jet ski's so it might be better to build it slowly. I've been able to pick it up with cars/ bikes so it shouldn't be hard.

On the other side of things, which aftermarket hull is the most versatile with a bolt on 701 (stock piston) From the few video's I've watched it seems like the A/M hulls are nose up and bob up and down at speed.

Top Bottom