what scupper???

I was considering installing a scupper or one way but after reading this, I'm not sure now... I haven't had much luck with bilge switches so I end up leaving my two 500GPH Rule bilge pumps on a lot but I don't want to burn them out. Besides, it seems there is always water to pump out (I have a WCF hood.) Was the stock syphon bilge a waste of time? Should I just run the bilge pumps the whole time I'm riding and forget about it?

That is what I do.

According to Rule, their bilge pumps are good for about 800 hours.

Still mixed on this scupper install though.... I don't want to do a bunch of work and find that it leaks while sitting but I like the idea of getting the water out quickly after some underwater time. Then there's the inverted float/sinking due to a place for air to escape which seems valid.

What about those Versiplug type of valves?

Cannibal

Tasty Human
According to Rule, their bilge pumps are good for about 800 hours.

Still mixed on this scupper install though.... I don't want to do a bunch of work and find that it leaks while sitting but I like the idea of getting the water out quickly after some underwater time. Then there's the inverted float/sinking due to a place for air to escape which seems valid.

What about those Versiplug type of valves?

I'm in the same boat as you are. I need to make up my mind if I want to do a scupper or not. I have always left it float before at the lake, even over night. I could pull it onto shore though. I have mine completely torn apart and once I get to the back, I need to commit or not.

I'll be running a TL ignition, so minimizing the battery draw is a big plus.

The ski I built had a 500gph bilge inside, check valve, and wamiltons scupper on back. I had good success with that. My new ski has dual 500's and a one way. I ride all flat water, and have never had issues. I never leave my skis floating when I'm not with them, however.

I think there are always differences of opinion between flat water guys and surf riders. I can't see too many instances in flat water where you'd leave the ski unattended upside down for too long.

LBE

Eddie Would Go.
I would rather replace a $25 bilge every couple years than have to worry about my ski sinking. Adding a scupper/one way also allows another place for water to get into the foam.
$50 for 2 pumps is cheaper and easier to install than a scupper/one way, and is way cheaper if that oneway leaks and you have to pull your tray and re-foam. If you have ever done that, you never want to do it again!

I run the versi plug On my B1 with no leak issues. But the B1 does not have a "sealed foam" area like a SJ.

Cannibal

Tasty Human
The ski I built had a 500gph bilge inside, check valve, and wamiltons scupper on back. I had good success with that. My new ski has dual 500's and a one way. I ride all flat water, and have never had issues. I never leave my skis floating when I'm not with them, however.

I think there are always differences of opinion between flat water guys and surf riders. I can't see too many instances in flat water where you'd leave the ski unattended upside down for too long.

I've considered this route too. I have a one-way-valve here waiting to go in. I love River Rat's scupper that is still in prototype form. If that gets done before I need to make a decision, I just might go with that and my one-way-valve.

I would rather replace a $25 bilge every couple years than have to worry about my ski sinking. Adding a scupper/one way also allows another place for water to get into the foam.
$50 for 2 pumps is cheaper and easier to install than a scupper/one way, and is way cheaper if that oneway leaks and you have to pull your tray and re-foam. If you have ever done that, you never want to do it again!

I run the versi plug On my B1 with no leak issues. But the B1 does not have a "sealed foam" area like a SJ.

Agreed. I'm too lazy to even do the one way/scupper combo again, much less pull the tray and re-foam!

I've considered this route too. I have a one-way-valve here waiting to go in. I love River Rat's scupper that is still in prototype form. If that gets done before I need to make a decision, I just might go with that and my one-way-valve.

I would go with a bilge for sure. You can always see if that's working.

Top Bottom