What spare parts do you bring and how?

DylanS

Gorilla Smasher
For years now I’ve been lugging around my spare parts and tools in stupid plastic containers. Was thinking about changing over to a pack out system. Curious to see if any of you do anything similar or have any other ideas. The totes kinda suck cause there’s no way to organize them.
I don’t have a toy hauler so permanent tool boxes and bins are not an option as of yet. Let me see what you got !!

Also curious as to what you guys carry the most of and what you break the most :)

... multiple skis lol. I used to take a lot too but because I'm not far from home where I ride, if something went sideways I just pull the ski and in 15 minutes I'm back home again. On long trips when I did them the only 3 things of real concern to me were steering cable, spark plugs and a throttle cable...and some custom cable ends if I just needed a carb side quick fix. A socket set and a medium sized carry style aluminum toolbox equipped well for most jobs on skis and I considered myself set. After awhile you get a smallish kit established with everything typical to skis and you don't really need much more if anything else at all. A creative peep can do a lot with just a basic set of hand tools and some odds and ends =)

WFO Speedracer

A lifetime ban is like a lifetime warranty !
Multiple skis , I had a gas tank break on the 650 fixie about 10 minutes into a freeride, I put it back on the trailer drained the gas out of the tank and grabbed the X2 , later that day It died , that night I pulled the tank out of the X2 and put in the 650SX fixie , stuffed a wad of shop rags under the tank to get it to fit and rode the rest of the weekend .

Carry simple stuff or stuff no one else will have spark plugs, exhaust gaskets , maybe a spare starter or stop start switch and lots of tools.

At some point you have to take into account what you will actually be able fix at a ride , anything past a starter I am probably loading it back up and heading home.

DylanS

Gorilla Smasher
I only bring two skis with me typically. At the local lake no big deal but my typical trip spot is about 3 hours one way from home.
I carry about everything just short of an entire extra short block anymore. Especially total loss components. Hell last year i swore i had everything conceivably possible that could break and I ended up shearing a woodruff key and no shop within a 50 mile radius had one lol. One time I even had the entire aluminum mounting block for the engine mounts rip out of the ski mere hours into a 5 day trip.
Basically my stuff is constantly breaking because I’m gorilla smashing it for 5 days straight and I’m looking for the most convenient way to carry tools and parts.

Sounds like I need more skis I guess lol

Quinc

Buy a Superjet
I only bring two skis with me typically. At the local lake no big deal but my typical trip spot is about 3 hours one way from home.
I carry about everything just short of an entire extra short block anymore. Especially total loss components. Hell last year i swore i had everything conceivably possible that could break and I ended up shearing a woodruff key and no shop within a 50 mile radius had one lol. One time I even had the entire aluminum mounting block for the engine mounts rip out of the ski mere hours into a 5 day trip.
Basically my stuff is constantly breaking because I’m gorilla smashing it for 5 days straight and I’m looking for the most convenient way to carry tools and parts.

Sounds like I need more skis I guess lol
That is impressive! Sounds like you need the 6 engine mount bedplates!

For the woodruff key as well as small orings and probably more stuff harborfreight sells sets of them. So add a file to your list of things so you can file a down a key to make it fit. =)

DylanS

Gorilla Smasher
That is impressive! Sounds like you need the 6 engine mount bedplates!

For the woodruff key as well as small orings and probably more stuff harborfreight sells sets of them. So add a file to your list of things so you can file a down a key to make it fit. =)

I was curious about the HF keys haha have you run them ?

WFO Speedracer

A lot easier to just duct tape a new OEM one under the bottom of the hood or to the side of the electrical box, the bonus is when you take it out of the tape it will be sticky and stay put in the crankshaft , tape a new fuse inside of a small plastic bag along with it , you never know when one of those glass fuses is going to ruin your day.

DylanS

Gorilla Smasher
I got this tackle box from a yard sale and put about everything I could imagine needing outside of hand tools inside it. Weighs about 25lbs. Spare starter, gaskets/orings, solenoid, brains, carb kits, jets, lines you name it.
Nice to have when about 3 hours away and semi compact.

Attachments

• IMG_6013.jpeg
    IMG_6013.jpeg
    262.6 KB · Views: 16

WFO Speedracer

I got this tackle box from a yard sale and put about everything I could imagine needing outside of hand tools inside it. Weighs about 25lbs. Spare starter, gaskets/orings, solenoid, brains, carb kits, jets, lines you name it.
Nice to have when about 3 hours away and semi compact.
Nice setup there

holygoat

Site Supporter
One tool I've found incredibly helpful is one of those long, flexi grabbing tools WITH A MAGNET.

I take spark plugs, hex keys, a small set of 1/4 sockets and ratchet, some 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2 tubing, hose clamps, screwdrivers, cable ties, duct tape.

Admittedly I just rip local lakes. But anything that I can't fix with that lot I'll pack up and just chill on the beach.

To the lake :
- CDI
- start relay
- volt regulator
- ignition coil
- starter
- Bendix
- stator
- spark plugs
- fuel filters
- hose clamps
- water line