What to look for when buying a SJ

Hi folks. My name is Marko and I'm new to this site and sport. I'm from Gatineau, QC.
I've been on couches, mostly polaris and yamahas but never owned one.
As fun as they are, comming from a GSX-R 750 I'd get bored prety fast and that's one of the reason I'm looking into a stand up, even if I never had a chance to ride one they just look more fun.

Now I've read around and came to the conclusion that the Yam Superjet would be somewhat the THING I'm looking for.
After looking into an SXR and that big boat Seadoo 3D I decided to start on something older and go on from there, therefore I found a 1997 Superjet which is so called "modified" but have no clue what has been done to it beside the pipe and foot holds.
Since standups are barely existing around here, few that are around are prety expensive compared to US.

I can get away with 4000$ CAN on this one so I need some feedback as if it would be a good buy and what to check exactly on it to make sure I dont get screwed? One last thing, how are those 2stroke engines reliability wise?

Here is the ad with few pics, maybe you can help me out.
http://www.lespac.com/search/detail...etat=0&no_region_de=0&no_region_a=&no_region=

Thanks alot guys!:cheer:

ctatv

2strokes forever
im no expert im looking to get into standups also but from the pics it looks clean and well taken care of good luck im sure some people with more SJ specific knowledge will chime in

vjhardcore

Ride It Like Ya Stole IT!
Hi folks. My name is Marko and I'm new to this site and sport. I'm from Gatineau, QC.
I've been on couches, mostly polaris and yamahas but never owned one.
As fun as they are, comming from a GSX-R 750 I'd get bored prety fast and that's one of the reason I'm looking into a stand up, even if I never had a chance to ride one they just look more fun.

Now I've read around and came to the conclusion that the Yam Superjet would be somewhat the THING I'm looking for.
After looking into an SXR and that big boat Seadoo 3D I decided to start on something older and go on from there, therefore I found a 1997 Superjet which is so called "modified" but have no clue what has been done to it beside the pipe and foot holds.
Since standups are barely existing around here, few that are around are prety expensive compared to US.

I can get away with 4000$ CAN on this one so I need some feedback as if it would be a good buy and what to check exactly on it to make sure I dont get screwed? One last thing, how are those 2stroke engines reliability wise?

Here is the ad with few pics, maybe you can help me out.
http://www.lespac.com/search/detail...etat=0&no_region_de=0&no_region_a=&no_region=

Thanks alot guys!:cheer:

I,m in Ontario - had to go to U.S. for my SJ last year - I've had 650sx - 07 SJ now - day and night difference. That ski looks good - There very hard to find up here. I've looked in Quebec too with no luck. That looks newer then 97? But the price seems pretty good for the mods - That pipe alone is worth close to $1000. The head looks like itsa been done and the impeller/ride plate/grate have probably been done.

Hard to saw if its worth it. 97 it getting old - but their easy to fix and rebuild.

The guys must have raced? and / or freestyled..No big deal but I'm sure it's been run hard. Goo look at it and do a compression check - find out what numbers hould be - but again the heads probbaly been doen so that number might change alittle.

Good luck with it...

ctatv

2strokes forever
Get ready for A LOT of work, time and money....and FUN!!!

2 strokes are good to go.

I loove 2 strokes I get everything in 2 stroke I can, jetboat, Atvs, i wanted a motorcycle so I got a 2 stroke CR500 and converted to supermoto trim then got it registered and plated here in CT:lmao:

I went to take a look at it.
Engine looks clean and it sounds meen.

Body wise it's a bit rough to my taste but will probably be redone during summer.

Underneath is scracthed ALOT to my taste aswell but I guess it is normal when you park it on the beach all the time. The guy showed me his buddy's kawa and it looks the same. I guess some people just dont care if it's uber clean or scratched, but hey as long as there is no holes on it can be fixed.

I've put a deposit on it cause I fell in love with the machine, and the fact that I drove 2h just to take a look at it would piss me off If I didnt buy it.

The guy told me that the engine was completly rebuilt with performance parts but he doesn;t have the full list which kinda smells fishy (he didn't mod it himself except the pipe which he said he paid 1200$).
On the head it says 745 or 750 I can't remember but he told me that the engine was close to 800cc..

Heck, I'm completly new to this stuff and 2 strokers so... I dont know a thing about these motors. Compression is at 160 but I didn;t have a chance to check it on my own.
He rode it for 5mins to show me that it was working fine.. so I guess I'll just have to check on my own and suck it up if something breaks.

I'll probably get it on friday and snap some pics of the engine and the whole thing so you can help me out figuring what parts are on...

Top Bottom