Freestyle what type of oil do you run? and do you get it from?

Tyler Zane

Open Your Eyes
That doesn't have anything to do with it. I can understand where more expensive oils are more refined and pure, though I don't see why they would be worth so much more.

Of course you dont, your running 135 psi. its not about being "refined and pure", its about lubricity, film strength and what it leaves behind when burnt. Last time i tore my engine down to do crank seals, its was spotless with very little piston wear. You can run shltty oil if you like, but dont try to make it seem like we are wasting our money.

From what it sounds like, based on how hot your engine is running, depends on what oil you want to run. So obviously at altitude I run cooler, so I can run cheaper oil that's not as temperature resistant as the expensive stuff (which it sounds like at very high temperatures, more expensive oil is used so it doesn't burn off so fast). I wouldn't call it :):):):)ty oil just because you are scared to run it or think your engine can't handle it.

OCD Solutions

Original, Clean and Dependable Solutions
says the guy running a 650sx...

Well I'm running an SS865 and I feel the same way. I wouldn't run just any generic brand but I believe that just about every oil on the market will be more than adequate for normal engine use. Now, I specify "normal" use because there are alot of factors involved. Personally I just don't ride that hard that I need it.

If you are running an engine hard enough that only the absolute best and most expensive oil will allow your engine to survive, then by all means you better buy that oil. But if you are the average rider with an average motor and you might do a 10 second WOT run once or twice a year, then you simply do not need that kind of protection and you are throwing your money away. It's the guys in the middle of that equation that will have some hard decisions to make.

For me, oil needs to do 3 things.
- Lubricate my engine during normal use. (I do not race, I never do WOT runs and i do not ride hard at all)
- burn clean and not gum up my powervalves
- offer corrosion protection so my crank does not rust.

If I can get that out of a $26 gallon then so be it I will. If others feel that they need to spend $40-50/gallon then more power to them.

OCD Solutions

You can run shltty oil if you like, but dont try to make it seem like we are wasting our money.

Now this is where I think the oil discussion always falls apart. Once somebody claims a certain oil is the gold standard and everything else is inferior :):):):)ty oil, the pissing match is on. $4/gallon is cheap oil, $26/gallon is middle of the road and $50/gallon is the best of the best.

There are alot of big names in oil that most certainly know what they are doing and their prices are more than reasonable.

Last edited:

Scorn800

Ride for life
you are the average rider with an average motor and you might do a 10 second WOT run once or twice a year, then you simply do not need that kind of protection and you are throwing your money away. It's the guys in the middle of that equation that will have some hard decisions to make.

For me, oil needs to do 3 things.
- Lubricate my engine during normal use. (I do not race, I never do WOT runs and i do not ride hard at all)

Dude, I think the average rider does way more than 10 second WOT runs.
The only riders i see never doing WOT whould the flatwater guys.
Most of my crew charges the inlet, WOT for minutes not seconds.
I think most oil does do the job but I rather not take the chance with my toys.
I run Amsoil in everything but my etec.

Last edited:

OCD Solutions

You may be right. We have a short ride out to each of the inlets we ride and they all have sections of no wake zones so we never get too crazy.

Define normal any way you like. I think we all understand what normal is and what flat out balls to the walls is.

Last edited:

Tyler Zane

Open Your Eyes
the thing is, i never said this or that oil is the best. when you compare 12 dollar a gallon oil to dominator (for example), there is no argument. its better oil... i never said you have to run high dollar oil in your stock ski either, its just snivilous thinking he can rebuild my engine with the savings from cheap oil. fact, im still pushing 180 psi after 200+ gallons.

motoman96

Banned
This discussion has been battled for years, run what your builder suggests or what you feel comfortable with. No point in an oil thread every other week about what's better. That answer will never be answered definitively. I run pricey oil, others don't. I'm not saying I'm right an your wrong, just what I run, period.

OCD Solutions

This discussion has been battled for years, run what your builder suggests or what you feel comfortable with. No point in an oil thread every other week about what's better. That answer will never be answered definitively. I run pricey oil, others don't. I'm not saying I'm right an your wrong, just what I run, period.

Yup, short and sweet, that pretty much sums it up.

motoman96

Banned
The oil threads always turn into a pissing match, for what?? Nobody ever wins or proves anything. Different strokes for different folks. To each their own, an there entitled to it.

Used to run this stuff from boaters world when i lived in Ca. Ran it from the day I bought my waveraider in 1996, still havnt had any issues with the engine. Its never been apart. most of its life it sat around though. Just the last 2 years has it been ridden hard. I also ran a yamaha blaster(the quad) and banshee for years on that oil and it held up well. I forgot the name of it. wish i knew. Now im running some cheap stuff, but will probably switch to yamalube. Im a believer in not buying the most expensive, but not running the cheapest stuff when it comes to two strokes. I work on cars for aliving and i have come to find that what the oem reccommends is the always the best, if stock.

Top Bottom