what VP racing fuel to use?

tightithrash

Zack Bright. I Thrash.
Site Supporter
why not? its super duper clean so the planes wont detonate in the air aka die and crash.

i run it in my boat in havasu, its recomended.......

G

Goose

AV fuel octane rating is determined at a different altitude than race fuel.

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
My Jetworks engine was originally set up to run at 190psi.
Art told me that I could run pumpgas and be careful, or mix in Avgas 100LL.

I try to go with what the builder of my engine says. :biggthumpup:

Now - higher compression, pure race gas engines - different story.

GIL

Power In The Hands Of Few
I have run 150 gallons of 100LL av gas thru my 5mil Lamey that is running 210psi and have had NO issues as far as fuel goes. NOTE-if the car business picks back up, I will switch to MS109 by VP because it is readily available in my area and I have seen 3 engines 1st hand that are really rippen on the MS 109.

from Group K:

ABOUT AVIATION FUELS - Aviation gasoline (or "av gas") is blended specifically for use in small aircraft. It's also commonly used by many high performance engine owners because of it's high stated octane rating (usually 100-110) and the relatively low price compared to racing fuel. Unfortunately this fuel is not all it appears to be. Avgas octane is rated on a different scale than gasoline's intended for ground level use. What is 100 octane "av", is not necessarily 100 octane "ground level". Besides this, there is also a big chemical difference. Normal ground level race fuels are made up of gas molecules that have a "light end" and a "heavy end". The light end of the molecule ignites easily and burns quickly with a low temperature flame (as a piece of thin newspaper would burn). The heavy end of the molecule is not so easily ignited, but it burns with a much more intense heat (as an oak log would). This heavy end of the gasoline molecule is responsible for the hotter, more powerful part of the combustion process.

Small aircraft are constructed as very weight conscious vehicles. That's because their somewhat weak engines often have difficulty taking off with any extra weight. To help reduce this weight problem, aviation gasoline's are blended with no heavy molecule end. This makes a gallon of avgas weigh substantially less than a gallon of ground level fuel. Since small plane engines turn very low rpms and produce so little power, the omission of the heavy end is not a horsepower issue. However, for high output pwc racing engines, there is defiantly a compromise in power. This, despite the fact that many pwc owners experience the desirable cooler operating temperatures that avgas offers. In addition, some blends of avgas will quickly separate from some oils used in premix situations. For the above reasons, we do not recommend the ongoing use of 100% avgas, and we will not prepare any "avgas" engine kits.

Despite all this bad news, running avgas (accepting the slight power loss) is usually a better choice than burning down a high output engine on regular pump gas. In this situation, the best choice is usually a 50/50 mix of pump and avgas. That provides "some" heavy molecule ends for the engine

C12 is a complete waste of money for many, many reasons. Last I checked it was almost $12 a gallon.

109 unleaded worked awesome for me from VP.

I now run AV gas due to its availability and cost.

Fact of the matter is, you should be talking to an engine builder about this.

C12 is a complete waste of money for many, many reasons. Last I checked it was almost $12 a gallon.

I am waiting to hear back from my builder. I just thought I would see what other people had to say till then.

skinnyman

YOU CANT RENT MY SKI

12.00 a gal I would shop that
9.25 if i buy it by the gal
2 strokes love leaded fuel
Really many many reasons

Top Bottom