What would Happen?

So ive been riding standups for about five years now and have always
rode with A lanyard, I was pondering today and wondered what would
happen if I were to put the lanyard on the ski hit the start button
and just let it go? Before you think this dudes A dumb ass I have A reason
for thinking about this. the start/stop switch on my SN is sticking and when
I take the lanyard off it keeps running.I dont want to be out riding fall Off And the ski keep on going.. its on the trailer and I have yet to put it in the water with this problem. So A little input would be Appreciated. Thanks

keefer

T1
You simply need to service the lanyard switch and probably the other switches in that cluster. They are all capable of being disassembled and cleaned up. If you can't do it then any capable ski mechanic should be able to do it for you. I have had to clean my lanyard switch a few times over the years. One of the problems is that the rubber boot for the lanyard switch is constantly depressed when not in use. The rubber cracks over time from being stressed and will develop leaks. Even if it is dry you still have to clean them every so often. Good luck.

stupidgoodness3

X-H2Dizzle
the guy I bought it from said if you ziptie the switch up
it will go in circles..... I dont know if thats true in the 4
years Ive owned it Ive never tried. :fingersx: :dunno:

my 95 square will slowly go in left hand circle, I think it is because of the battery being on the right and they already tend to lean to that side a little...

You simply need to service the lanyard switch and probably the other switches in that cluster. They are all capable of being disassembled and cleaned up. If you can't do it then any capable ski mechanic should be able to do it for you. I have had to clean my lanyard switch a few times over the years. One of the problems is that the rubber boot for the lanyard switch is constantly depressed when not in use. The rubber cracks over time from being stressed and will develop leaks. Even if it is dry you still have to clean them every so often. Good luck.

I have no problems taking the switch apart and cleaning it I just
havent done it yet. I was just woundering what would happen?
Thanks for the good advice though.

keefer

T1
It will tend to circle if the steering is working properly and not too tight. Like others have said it is due to the battery making it lean and the thrust from the pump will tend to make it circle. I would never disable the lanyard because what if the ski got stuck at WOT and ran into another boat or ran ashore and hit someone. This is a safety device and should not be disabled IMO.

thegoldenboy

RN Surgery... soon
If you are worried about it, adjust your idle to low so you need to be grabbing a bit of throttle to keep the ski running. Than if you fall your ski won't take off.

Mine is like this.

I found out earlier this Summer that my SXR will circle without the rider.

The lanyard cord accidentally wrapped around the grip and tore out of the wrist strap when I fell off. :doh:

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
exactly turn down the idle so it wont run on its own unless you give it a little throttle

Unless something involving the throttle breaks, and the throttle gets stuck.

Laynard isn't there to keep the ski from idling, it will orbit right back to you. It's there because lots of things break in the water and there's nothing to stop your WOT ski except the head of some poor 3 year old building a sand castle.

ski runs ......away

I lost a 550 and beached a 750..

They never circled just went straight and....go...go...gone

Low idle that the ski dies or lanyard....

Crab

thanks darin...noswad!
When your done cleaning it, inject some grease into the boot where the wires go in the back, I had a wire corrode off completely, and the grease will keep water away from the solder joints.

ketsair

ISJWTA Member #1
i ziptied mine open, like saki said, lanyard just don't work well with freestyle, i have hit the hood a few times on other skis because of pulling the lanyard out, as long as the steering isn't overly tight or binding, it'll circle back to ya

thegoldenboy

RN Surgery... soon
Unless something involving the throttle breaks, and the throttle gets stuck.

And thats just bad luck... Not much you can do. If you are worried about it, or on a busy day where the lake has a lot of traffic, than just wear your lanyard.

Or just wrap your lanyard around the bars and not around your wrist, if you see a copper boat in the distance, put on the lanyard.

I wear a lanyard 90% of the time anyways (not on the hood much so I don't care that its around my wrist), but my idle is still set low.

When I crash bad enough and lose the boat not wearing a lanyard, I'm usually due for a rest anyways, so a swim to my ski isn't the end of the world.

vitaly

Анархия - мать порядка!
Good luck chasing a "circling" ski in some decent waves or even when it's windy.

Top Bottom