whats wrong with the 650?

i did some research about my 650sx and a number of times people call it a turd.. is it the motor? or the hull design thats the problem? the reason is i have a 650 hull in great shape and was thinking about reinforceing it for surf and freestyle. does anyone know the weight of my hull or the weight of a 650 all together?

It has nothing to do with the weight. The hulls a crappy design and the motor is very underpowered. I would say reinforcing isn't really neccesary because a 650 isn't really capable of doing anything that would really hurt it to bad. Plus if you decide you're going to get into freestyle more, you'll eventually end up on a superjet. (the kawi guys are gonna attack me for this but they know it's true deep down in side)

It's an alright starter ski but nobody really stays on one for very long

Last edited:

tor*p*do

Squarenose FTW
Site Supporter
every 650sx I have ridden handles with the finesse of a tank
I would even ride a 550 over a 650 as far as kawis go
I have a modded 750sx which is OK
but for freestyle, a SJ is where it is at! :fest30:

six5hooSX

Another failed roll
I bought 650sx turd 8 seasons ago for $900, all I've ever done to it is changed the spark plugs. Ok begginers ski but I plan upgrading to a SJ when I can afford it.

snowxr

V watch your daughters V
i figured that was the answer i was going to get.. i keep researching and everyone says that same thing..over and over:no:

Well accept it, and move ahead from here. If you want to do modern freestye it's time to start thinking about a superjet. Better motors, better handling, more aftermarket options.

Motorheads5

Livin the generation gap
Do you ride much or is this a new challenge for you? If so put a motor in that 650 hull and go have some fun! Like already mentioned they are a great beginner ski and very dependable just keep it stock. You will have alot of fun with it and when you get the opportunity to try a SXR or a Superjet you will see the difference. By the way welcome to the X.

The old 650 doesnt fit current riding styles and is not economical to mod anymore. I still have one with an SXI engine. Compared to my Superjet, its a better wake jumper, it goes faster and carves better. Forget turning at high speeds though, they just slide. My Superjet has better low speed thrust/ hookup and better high speed (flat) turning. Both are equally fun (to me) just different.

WAB

salty nuts
I've seen a guy come out & do BIG nose stabs on a stock kawa650 with a bilge pump & no foot holds, so anythings possible. Ride the snot out of it until you break the pole. it will go first.
BUT, I would not spend a bunch of $$ on it fixing it up as the old SJ's or even the 750 kawa is a better hull design for all around riding.
the truth hurts
:arms:

tbaer

USMC
it is underpowered and it is very tall, it sits high in the water which makes it very unstable. i still have one in my garage it just sits there collecting dust because they are not worth chit so there is no point in selling it. i think i may give it to my dad.

I was going to ask a similar question. In the old videos like 1990 some 4 years after the 650sx came out the top class of race ski is still the 550. Was the 650 that bad?

Aaron

The 550s would turn better. There is a video of Jacobs on a 650 beating every square nose Superjet in slolom at a Yamaha event in 1990 or 91.

WFO Speedracer

A lifetime ban is like a lifetime warranty !
Of course you can always convert it to fixed steering then its a whole new ball game,and anyone that says a 650 doesn't have enough ass hasn't ridden one set up properly.

z00m

UK X-H20
I Love mine, will pass it on to my son , when hes ready.
100_3080.jpg

Last edited:
I liked my old 650, better than my 750 in fact. I bought it 3 1/2 years ago, rode it for a year, sold it to my buddy and he's been riding it since. The only thing he (or me) has replaced is the battery.

yeah my buddy has a 750 and 2 out of 3 of us that rode them both thought the handling on the 650 was much better.. the one who owned the 750 was the only one who thought different but he is 250lbs.. i can see where the power would make a difference for him but i am only 160.. i just really don't get much strong evidence other than people saying the 650 sucks and its a turd.. anyone rolling or backflipping one?

oh and i do have a sxr and its great.. just wanted something light for when i want to go flippin or rollin thanks!

anyone know the weight??

ger87410

How did I get here?
I've ridden a 650sx setup for racing.

It had a ton of power. Comparable to a 701 lightly modded SJ, I think.

It was too top heavy and too unstable for my liking. I didn't experience the sliding problem on turns, maybe cuz of the rideplate and intake grate used.

It seemed to take more to turn it compared to my 550.

I prefer my 550 compared to the 650sx I rode.

Top Bottom