Surfriding When a backflip goes wrong??

Sit

Is it better to hang onto the ski or try and push it away from you?? Been watching a few YouTube vids and seen both, just wondered what the advice was out in the surf?

It's a big old thing to land on you either way!!

Si

D-Nice

flap dem wings johnny!
id say hold on. cuz if u hold on and land upside down the ski will push u into the water. if u let go and the skis above u ull hit the water first and not sink completely and the ski will land on you

Its all about the surf!
id say hold on. cuz if u hold on and land upside down the ski will push u into the water. if u let go and the skis above u ull hit the water first and not sink completely and the ski will land on you and put you in the hospital

There, fixed it for you! NEVER, I mean NEVER let go of your ski. It doesn't hurt to land upside down on backy attempts

I used to always 'chuck it', until the day I sailed and bailed back into my ski, 3 breaks in my arm, crushed elbow, dislocated shoulder, and 2 broken ribs. Airplane out, 3 ambulances later, 6 month recovery, .....think I'm gonna hang on next time!

always hold on however their are some instances when you need to let go. like when your feet slip out and your ski hits the water first and you go head first into your handle pool and hood form not letting go ( wear a helmet i should know)

JamesG

Site Supporter
No, always let go when your ski is directly above you. It looks wayyyy cooler that way. And be sure to take a video for us to watch while you're in the ER.
But seriously... hold on. :icon16:

Buckwild12

I'm moved by DASA power!
When you bail on a huge boat wake, bad things happen! hold on at all costs! It may not be the most comfortable landing ever but the ski actually pulls you back up when it lands on you, at least if the hood is still on it that is.

Tanman

Jus' keep er' pinned
Don't let go, thats how people die. Hang on and sack up, you'll be suprised at how fine you will be after the landing. Its just scary but you can case a 20 footer and pop right back up and keep riding

McDog

Other Administrator
Staff member
The ONLY situation that I would say to push it away is if you are riding in shallow water. Daytona makes me nervous for this reason.

Sit

Thanks guys - I think it's pretty clear that you need to stay in cotanct with the ski and suck up the landing, it's just that commitment when your upside down!!!!!

Air time - that picture is scary man, you were a lucky guy by the looks of it!

Si

Top Bottom