Where can I get some yamabond?

Waternut

Customizing addict
Usually you need to go to some store that sells or services dirt bikes, ATV's, etc. I just tried to pick up some last week and the place I got it from last time had closed up shop... Shows how much I pay attention.

WFO Speedracer

A lifetime ban is like a lifetime warranty !
I don't know why you say they don't make yamabond anymore , I recently bought some , it is in a plastic tube now instead of metal but the contents were the same, funny thing is I can buy Yamabond cheaper from the Kawi shop than from the Yami shop.

dirtnut99

Yardsale Master
I think permatex ultra gray is the same as yamabond too.. It is available at auto parts stores.. A little thicker than 1211 though I think.. It is for machined surfaces, most import car engines have it somewhere on the engine..

snowxr

V watch your daughters V
Yamabond 4 was off the market for a little while 2-3yrs ago while it was reformulated to meet newer EPA standards. It's available and works just as well as before.

Frosty

New York Crew
Good deal... haven't been to a yamaha dealer in some time now, and haven't had to breakdown/rebuild a motor in a while either. thus no need to buy yamabond 4. glad it's back... i have a brand new tube of hondabond sitting on the bench i bought two years ago.

I called a few local shops and they all sounded pretty clueless. I suppose I'll order online. Anyone know where will have the lowest price and fastest shipping to Georgia?

Just bought a tube of Hondabond 4 two weeks ago, it was a little over $5 with tax at my local dealer.

Some lawn and garden equipment dealers may have 1211 also. Usually the ones that sell Kawasaki equipment. I know at my one job that we do as Kawi recommends it.
It will cost more than the Honda/Yamabond, but when you need it in a pinch, there ya go.

Waternut

Customizing addict
Can anyone else confirm that permatex ultra gray serves the same purpose? The last tube of hondabond I bought locally was like $14 and when you can get the same thing online for $6 it puts a really bad taste in my mouth.

dirtnut99

Yardsale Master
My boss says that it is close to the same, I just got off the phone with him, but I too questioned him on it, he is a perfectionist and a one of the pickiest mechanics I know. He has snowmobiles and tends to have to rebuild the motors when friends burn them up.. He uses it for the cases I know.. He says the surfaces need to be acetone clean and warm. its a little thicker, but he has always had good luck with it. So its not the same I guess, but it works well. The one boat shop we have here is a Yamaha repair shop and they look at me with a blank stare when I asked for yamabond a while back.

From the website:
Permatex® Ultra Grey® Rigid High-Torque RTV Silicone Gasket Maker
OEM specified. Designed specially for high-torque and high vibration applications, like those common in import engines, this premium RTV gasket maker exceeds manufacturers' performance requirements. Noncorrosive and low-odor. Maximum vibration resistance, with outstanding resistance to oils, cooling and shop fluids. Guaranteed not to leak. Temperature range -65ºF to 500ºF (-54°C to 260°C) intermittent.

Suggested Applications: Valve covers, oil pans, intake manifold end seals, timing covers, water pumps, thermostat housings

From Yamaha's webiste: (no price or picture included, which I find strange, YB5 & YB6 has pics and prices)
Yamabond 4 Motorsports
blank.gif
blank.gif
Yamabond 4 Motorsports is a silicone-based liquid gasket that fills gaps on a flange surface and prevents leaks. When cured, this product forms a rubber-like body that resists heat and seals joints subjected to high temperature. Gear- and engine-oil resistant, Yamabond 4 Motorsports sets in 60 minutes. Not for use on copper or copper-based alloys

Last edited:

Waternut

Customizing addict
I went to go pick up some Permatex Ultra Grey yesterday. I read the back of the package and it specifically says not for use in places where it might come in contact with fuel. Since the crankcase sees, fuel, oil, and air, I put that crap back and walked out. I used Hondabond 4 to seal my internal gas tank cap to the tank and it held up perfectly. Guess I'll have to order some of the real stuff.

Top Bottom