Where's the power from?

Alright @Jakobi86 and I have been tossing around where the power difference comes from in these two setups and are wondering what you guys think is the single most contributing factor?

Ski #1
Shortened SN hull (5" off the back and 4" off the front)
JM Ported 718 61x/61x
Single 44mm carb
MSD Enhancer
Boyesen dual stage reeds
ADA head w/35cc domes
B Pipe Mod Chamber
stock water box
9/15 hooker prop
stubby pump cone

Ski #2
Stock SN hull
701 - 6m6/61x Frankenstein motor
Dual 38's on what I believe is an R&D mani
MSD Enhancer
Protec Recreation Head (~150 psi per hole currently)
Protec pipe
Stock Water box
Solas SS Prop... Stock Pitch (maybe 14.7/18.5?)

Based on the weights of a bare stock sn hull we have and the bare weight of the shortened hull in Ski #1 is that Ski #1 is about 30 lbs lighter.

Ski #1 has SIGNIFICANTLY more low end snap than ski #2. To put this in perspective I have a stock 650 sn and would occasionally ride Ski #2. The power difference from the stock 650 to Ski #2 is probably comparable to the power difference from Ski #2 to Ski #1.

My thoughts are that most of this is coming from the porting and impeller.

What are your thoughts?

OCD Solutions

Original, Clean and Dependable Solutions
I agree, the impeller will make a significant difference. Start there and then work towards porting and getting the compression up around 185. The rest will come from tuning.

schicks

Karma Enforcer
i think short hulls feel like they have more power because the nose comes out of the water so fast. But those two props listed will have a pretty big gap in performance. Prop #2 is designed for all around performance where the hooker is geared more towards low end response. I say the biggest difference is due to 1. the hulls and 2. the props.

Blue

Judging your cheapness
The Porting of course...... thats why i port them the way i do..... But in all seriousness the smaller pitch prop does help the engine get on the powerband quicker and the big hub helps increase the pressure as the water is forced from the leading edge to the trailing edge of the prop all so it can ripp ur arms off.

waxhead

wannabe backflipper
The pump is the biggest difference.
6m6 cases on one killing the power big time on ski 2
Lower compression in ski 2
there is way to many factors here to even try and make a definitive answer

I understand that there's a multitude of factors that contribute. Sounds like a good, cheaper starting point is a prop...then a ported top end kit.

I thought there was barely a difference between 61x and 6m6 cases? Btw, I'm the guy with ski no2 ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CRJ

Hibernating
ski 1 you have
single carb = better low end
9/15 = better low end
ported and bored = more power
cutback/rockered = lighter
b-pipe = more power
pump cone = more thrust.

i bet its night and day difference.

The 650 has lot smaller reeds. It will never go as well
untrue, reed cage is almost exactly the same size, and uses 3 larger reeds vs 4 smaller reeds in the 61x.

waxhead

wannabe backflipper
ski 1 you have
single carb = better low end
9/15 = better low end
ported and bored = more power
cutback/rockered = lighter
b-pipe = more power
pump cone = more thrust.

i bet its night and day difference.

untrue, reed cage is almost exactly the same size, and uses 3 larger reeds vs 4 smaller reeds in the 61x.
Makes you wonder why yamaha bother to make the change

CRJ

Hibernating
Makes you wonder why yamaha bother to make the change
If i had to guess, i would say smaller reeds can be thinner material, which will flex more allowing for more airflow. i could measure each and see what the changes are.

Well ended up adding a 9/15 and while there is definitely a difference, the major difference is from the motor/porting. That's the thing I do t have done and bonsy17's ski is night and day different than mine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Roseand

The Weaponizer
Site Supporter
You have 180+ psi and a ported cylinder. I'd sure as hell hope yours hits harder. Porting makes one hell of a difference, and so does 30+ extra psi.

Top Bottom