Trying to decide between:

Pipes:
Factory type 4 Pipe
R&D Dry Pipe
Riva Red Pipe

Heads (Both ungirdled):
Greater Yamaha Head
Riva Head with 35cc's

Looking for reliable low-end punch. I know I could spend a ton more and buy a B pipe, but, these are a little more reasonably priced. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Officer Mike

TJ / SJ / JJ
Pipes... type 4 and red pipe are the same pipe. its said that you can get the punch or damn close to the low end punch of a b pipe with them by threading a mikuni main jet into the stinger to restrict low end water into the water box suppsedly makes a big differnce. you will also have more middle and when the b pipe falls off you will keep climbing with the type 4 or red. for all around riding some guys prefer the dry pipe for hardcore freestlye i guess you will want the b pipe.

I really like the ada head. remember if you go with the dry pipe you will need/want to girdle the head. and run 37cc domes. at least ada head gets 37cc might be a different numebr for a different head. you could go 35 for more bottom just dont WOT for long periods. good luck

the r and d pipe is a good pipe too. its more racey then the all aroundness of the type 4 and red i think. however its siad that its almost garuntees to come apart.

Awesome info... thanks a ton! I think for the price difference, I may go with they type 4. I'd like mostly low end power, but I don't know if this boat will be my hardcore freestyle ski. I'm still building my chops, I guess.

The ADA head with 37cc domes are still ok for pump gas, right? Seems like a lot of people recommend that head.

Kennay

Squarenose for the _____
Pipes... type 4 and red pipe are the same pipe. its said that you can get the punch or damn close to the low end punch of a b pipe with them by threading a mikuni main jet into the stinger to restrict low end water into the water box suppsedly makes a big differnce. you will also have more middle and when the b pipe falls off you will keep climbing with the type 4 or red. for all around riding some guys prefer the dry pipe for hardcore freestlye i guess you will want the b pipe.

I really like the ada head. remember if you go with the dry pipe you will need/want to girdle the head. and run 37cc domes. at least ada head gets 37cc might be a different numebr for a different head. you could go 35 for more bottom just dont WOT for long periods. good luck

the r and d pipe is a good pipe too. its more racey then the all aroundness of the type 4 and red i think. however its siad that its almost garuntees to come apart.

I disagree. I think you have it a little backward. The Type 4 and the Riva FREERIDE pipes are the same. Not the Riva red pipe and the Type 4.

Officer Mike

TJ / SJ / JJ
I disagree. I think you have it a little backward. The Type 4 and the Riva FREERIDE pipes are the same. Not the Riva red pipe and the Type 4.

My fault dude..

if you are looking for low end .. this should be a killer set up.. with all strong all round charecteristics...

ada head 35cc domes
with the type 4
lightened flywheel
and a low end prop

you could look for someone selling an 08 sj prop. . they are SS and they are large hub and they are roughy 12/16

My fault dude..

if you are looking for low end .. this should be a killer set up.. with all strong all round charecteristics...

ada head 35cc domes
with the type 4
lightened flywheel
and a low end prop

you could look for someone selling an 08 sj prop. . they are SS and they are large hub and they are roughy 12/16

I pretty much have the setup above except with a R&D 35cc rec head and I have not installed a lightened flywheel. I'm running a mikuni 177.5 main jet in the stinger and it seems to hit real hard. I've ridden a 96 with a b-pipe, msd cdi and water injection and riva 35cc head. This ski had a 14/17 prop. Mine has a 12/17 freeride and I think my ski feels at least as punchy.

nikad58

1974 YZ 701
1. Factory "B" Limited.. Great all around power, light weight / low end punch, proven #1 pipe !! (great low end, great top end up to 7000 rpm) care is needed with the 3 head pipe bolts and making sure the coupler is clean useing windex when installing.

2. Factory "B" mod) Great all around power, light weight / low, proven #2 pipe !! (very close to limited pipe but moves the low end up 150 rpm and ads it on top) care is needed with the 3 head pipe bolts and making sure the coupler is clean useing windex when installing.

3. TNT "limited" Great all around pipe.. not as much low end as a limited factory but still very good.. hard to tell which is a limited or Mod chamber unless you have had a few, very easy to install/remove after some beating for clearance. I would call this my #3 choice on a limited super jet..
(Mod chamber is close but not as good)

4. Factory type 4 / riva free ride) with alot of time adjusting water injection points and amounts, can be a very good hitting pipe with better top end. Some people have trouble with mounts and couplers coming apart but with time takin installing clean parts and time with maintinace they stay together..

5. Pro-Tec ("black") A great low buck pipe with good all around power but comes with a price of funky mounts that "all holes" only line up with the use of a pro-tec head, heavy in wieght, been known to crack. But once again if the time is took to keep up on tighting mounts can be a great pipe. IF 2" is added to the chamber this pipe hits like bricks !!

6. Pro-Tec Mach II good pipe adds a little on the bottom but the top goes to the moon ! great race pipe ! Downside is a bitch to install, lots of cooling lines, lots of adjustments, heavy, lots of maintanace.

7. R&D "rev") once again a great race pipe and the name says it all. "rev" Downside is a bitch to install, lots of cooling lines, lots of adjustments, lots of maintanace.

8. Factory type 9.. once again a great race pipe.
Downside is a bitch to install, l lots of maintanace.

9. Coffmans 650/701 Sizzler.. Great pipe.. hits very well.. light weight, good mounts.. I have had great luck with this pipe all the way to big bores..

10. Rive red (cast) another great pipe that will work great all the way to big bore.. Good low end,Great Mid, Good top..The mounts need attention, Its a little heavy but still a great pipe..

11. Coffmans Lightining.. boy I spent some time on this pipe.. never got it working very well at all..But man it looks good !

I have no tests with a Limited R&D or any speed works pipes..

Last edited:
I feel like I might be leaning toward the Factory Type 4. The problem is that I've never ridden anything other than stock pipes, so tuning and water injection adjustments are all new to me. Is that something I can learn as I go? Also, are couplers tough to find for this pipe? What's a good used price on this pipe?

Officer Mike

TJ / SJ / JJ
i have been told to run the type 4 w/o the water injection.. if my hydro turf wants to copperate tongiht i should have some info to share with you tomorrow. . stay tuned

onesojourner

I use a thumb throttle.
great info. that is wiki worthy I hope you don't mind.

1. Factory "B" Limited.. Great all around power, light weight / low end punch, proven #1 pipe !! (great low end, great top end up to 7000 rpm) care is needed with the 3 head pipe bolts and making sure the coupler is clean useing windex when installing.

2. Factory "B" mod) Great all around power, light weight / low, proven #2 pipe !! (very close to limited pipe but moves the low end up 150 rpm and ads it on top) care is needed with the 3 head pipe bolts and making sure the coupler is clean useing windex when installing.

3. TNT "limited" Great all around pipe.. not as much low end as a limited factory but still very good.. hard to tell which is a limited or Mod chamber unless you have had a few, very easy to install/remove after some beating for clearance. I would call this my #3 choice on a limited super jet..
(Mod chamber is close but not as good)

4. Factory type 4 / riva free ride) with alot of time adjusting water injection points and amounts, can be a very good hitting pipe with better top end. Some people have trouble with mounts and couplers coming apart but with time takin installing clean parts and time with maintinace they stay together..

5. Pro-Tec ("black") A great low buck pipe with good all around power but comes with a price of funky mounts that "all holes" only line up with the use of a pro-tec head, heavy in wieght, been known to crack. But once again if the time is took to keep up on tighting mounts can be a great pipe. IF 2" is added to the chamber this pipe hits like bricks !!

6. Pro-Tec Mach II good pipe adds a little on the bottom but the top goes to the moon ! great race pipe ! Downside is a bitch to install, lots of cooling lines, lots of adjustments, heavy, lots of maintanace.

7. R&D "rev") once again a great race pipe and the name says it all. "rev" Downside is a bitch to install, lots of cooling lines, lots of adjustments, lots of maintanace.

8. Factory type 9.. once again a great race pipe.
Downside is a bitch to install, l lots of maintanace.

9. Coffmans 650/701 Sizzler.. Great pipe.. hits very well.. light weight, good mounts.. I have had great luck with this pipe all the way to big bores..

10. Rive red (cast) another great pipe that will work great all the way to big bore.. Good low end,Great Mid, Good top..The mounts need attention, Its a little heavy but still a great pipe..

11. Coffmans Lightining.. boy I spent some time on this pipe.. never got it working very well at all..But man it looks good !

I have no tests with a Limited R&D or any speed works pipes..

I was also told not to run water injection. You can still get the installation instructions on the Factory pipe website. It's at the bottom right. All you need to know to get it set up.

Kennay

Squarenose for the _____
You were probably told that because the standard MSD wi isn't set up right to benefit the pipe. The micro touch is where it's at from what I've read and been told by a few professionals.

i have been told to run the type 4 w/o the water injection.. if my hydro turf wants to copperate tongiht i should have some info to share with you tomorrow. . stay tuned

I'm tuned in!

You were probably told that because the standard MSD wi isn't set up right to benefit the pipe. The micro touch is where it's at from what I've read and been told by a few professionals.

For now I have all standard electronics. Is that going to be a problem for me? From everything I've read, it looks like the head, pipe, and lightened flywheel are the best mods to begin with. I know the option of porting is there, but I think that might be getting a little deep for this year. I'm in the middle of a returf job and scupper and bilge install, and those, combined with paint and the mods I mentioned, are all I had on my to-do list.

My fault dude..

ada head 35cc domes
with the type 4
lightened flywheel
and a low end prop

Something else I just noticed... I've heard not to go with a large hub for low end boost. Many people sound like they're using 9/17 Swirls. I have a Solas with a toploader grate right now.

Officer Mike

TJ / SJ / JJ
just rode it... and its a powerhouse, to me atleast. the type 4 doesnt lack down low at all with the jet in the stinger. i thnk i could change the prop to increase efficency i think i may be spinning it a little. not enough for me to say yeah its def slipping. i need an intake grate for sure. impros said my prop is 12/16 i think. i was going to get thier noew hooker 10/16 but they arent finished yet and i dont know rigt now exactly what i want. any questions jst ask me

Top Bottom