Other Which second ski for friends?

I just picked up a 1994 SuperJet. I'd like to get a second ski for friends/girlfriend to ride also. I sort of want a Kawi since I learned to ride on a 650sx and miss the feel. I've been looking closely at a 2000 750 SXI PRO for sale near me, but I've also been looking closely at another 1994 550SX since I've heard the 550's carve really well and are just generally fun to ride. Plan B is a 1994 Wave Raider.

In this situation, what ski would you want, and why?

How familiar are your friends with riding skis? Not every one is a stand up rider. I got a wavebalster II. Its harder to spin out. Waveraiders have a tendency to throw riders off.

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
Whatever is the least amount of maintenance for you. I'd go with a couch. Anyone can ride it, less maintence, and gives you the opportunity to wake skate and stuff. My wife can ride my Superjet and is buy a sxr if I could find one in my price range but her gp1200 has been a great second boat.

For real 650 sn...worst case scenario they blow it up and you drop a 701 in it

This is exactly my case, but the 650 had a port job and I had machined the head to get it to 172psi.
BUT - I got my 701 donated from a friend scrapping an old VXR Pro, just needed a carb rebuild, so I got a 61x and he gave it to me just so there was another "ridable" ski to go out on besides that PITA FX-1 that keeps pitching everyone...but I normally don't like sharing the FX-1 anyway cuz the SJ is just plain boring anymore.

Last edited:

OCD Solutions

Original, Clean and Dependable Solutions
Back when I was still going to the local lake and letting random people ride my skis, I had a 92 SN with a piped and ported 701 and a stockish 06 SXR. The SN was way more fun but anybody and everybody could ride the SXR and so I had more people actually riding. Before I got the SXR, people would try the SN and like it but only a few people really took to it and would ride it all the time. Once the SXR showed up, they were lined up to ride it.

The best ski for friends is your retired old faithful that gets kicked to the side when you upgrade. She's bought and paid for and most likely have plenty of parts laying around.

Last edited:
I just bought a wave blaster built to the bone but stock paint for my girlfriend, it was orig owner and came with boxes of parts and aetsuits, but most people have hard time on wb1 so I used to let them ride my squares but now they have a hard time with the footholds in the way so girls cant really kneel and the setup isles too quick. But I'd go sauare 650 for sure, or sxr, don't waste your time with other kawis

But back to what the OP said...he misses the feel of a Kawi 650sx. About 2-3 years ago I boug a Kawi 650sx in pieces for $200. Threw it together and it ran perfect. Was my friends beater ski for 2 years and I eventually sold it for $850. Now I'd for sure by a SN just because I could enjoy riding it too. But hey man a Kawi 650sx is a perfect loaner, beater, ride it like a dirty wh0re ski for your friends

Thank you all for all the replies.

I know everyone loves the SJ, but different skis handle differently (Kawi vs. Yam) and I'd like to own both to make an informed decision on my own. That is part of why I was gravitating towards a Kawi as a second ride. I know it will be hard for a beginner, but I've settled on a 550sx. This is largely in part because I want one for myself, as well as wanting a second ride for others to try. I figure my buddy still has the 650sx, which isn't going anywhere. I can ride that whenever I want, and I've still got the SJ for others to try. I'd like to kick the 550 around now and see what I like.

I picked up a wrecked hull 550sx and, shortly, am going on a bit of a road trip to pick up a clean titled hull. The crashed 550 was $100. It has an OP plate, grate, and divided nozzle, among other parts. The clean hull should be about $200-250. Once I "glue" the two together, it should be a decent ride for a reasonable price.

Second vote for a Waveblaster. I have one as a loaner ski for the last 3 years and it was the best purchase I've made. It's a little more challenging that riding a couch but most people get the hang of it right away. The learning curve isn't as steep as a standup. Really the only people that really have trouble riding it are guys and I'm okay with that. Girls love it. It's a great way to introduce people to the sport.

Second vote for a Waveblaster. I have one as a loaner ski for the last 3 years and it was the best purchase I've made. It's a little more challenging that riding a couch but most people get the hang of it right away. The learning curve isn't as steep as a standup. Really the only people that really have trouble riding it are guys and I'm okay with that. Girls love it. It's a great way to introduce people to the sport.

Noted.

I'm not dead set on the 550 yet. I just found a VERY VERY clean 650sx hull about 40 minutes from me. I may go with that simply because it's close and looks to be in flawless shape.

Midlake Crisis

Site Supporter
I have heard a lot of hate on the 650sx but when I actually rode one I thought it was fun, maybe not great for tricks but cool for a beginner for sure

Top Bottom